Things sure change in one year...

Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)
He gets a raw deal because that low .800's OPS is barely enough production to offset the terrible job he did defensively in RF.

And the games missed that force the Sox to play guys like Teahen in RF. Forget the statistical projection for Carlos, if he can play 150 games, the season was a victory for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
He gets a raw deal because that low .800's OPS is barely enough production to offset the terrible job he did defensively in RF.

Not everyone is going to be good with the stick as well as in the field, Ill take the offense from him over the defense..

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Not everyone is going to be good with the stick as well as in the field, Ill take the offense from him over the defense..

Yep. Me too. I don't need role players to be two way stars. Quentin is a run producer and a good one. Whatever he costs the team in RF he likely more than makes up for it at the plate.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Yep. Me too. I don't need role players to be two way stars. Quentin is a run producer and a good one. Whatever he costs the team in RF he likely more than makes up for it at the plate.

Both FGs and B-R say that this is not the case.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)

Do you have any idea how bad CQ was in RF? Smallz from the Sandlot wouldn't have been any worse. Unless you're prime Manny Ramirez with the bat, you have negative value overall when you're that horrendous defensively.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Do you have any idea how bad CQ was in RF? Smallz from the Sandlot wouldn't have been any worse. Unless you're prime Manny Ramirez with the bat, you have negative value overall when you're that horrendous defensively.

Manny never actually put up a UZR as bad as Quentin did last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
I know. But he's the best example I could come up with of a guy who was pretty putrid in the field but nobody cared because he was sporting 1.000+ OPSs every year.

It's really not that hard J4L.

Adam Dunn.

Carlos Quentin last year was Adam Dunn in RF, except he hit

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
It's really not that hard J4L.

Adam Dunn.

Carlos Quentin last year was Adam Dunn in RF, except he hit

That's what I was getting at. His defense is horrendous. People can say his offense will make up for his defense, and who knows it may, but it'll be interesting to see how many balls Quentin misses that an average right fielder would make.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
That's what I was getting at. His defense is horrendous. People can say his offense will make up for his defense, and who knows it may, but it'll be interesting to see how many balls Quentin misses that an average right fielder would make.

It is possible that Carlos could be better with the glove this season, just from either practice or from being further removed from injuries. Even a modest improvement would make a big difference since he was so bad last year.

But if that doesn't happen, then he's almost a liability if he hits under 30 HR. If he's hitting 40+, he's winning games with the bat even if he's losing them with the glove, which is where Dunn was most of his seasons in the NL.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 02:54 AM)
If his value is so obviously so incredibly negative why would the Sox ever run him out there?! Ever?

I can't believe Mike Gellinger hasn't noticed this.

Because there is no way to tangibly see that number, but the consensus is that it is a pretty accurate number. Besides, it's not like bad defense has ever stopped Ozzie from putting someone in RF; indeed, it's the only thing he ever has put in RF.

The Sox needed Quentin's bat in the lineup, so they need to find a spot to get him on the field, and RF makes the most sense. Makes sense to me atleast.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Because there is no way to tangibly see that number, but the consensus is that it is a pretty accurate number. Besides, it's not like bad defense has ever stopped Ozzie from putting someone in RF; indeed, it's the only thing he ever has put in RF.

The Sox needed Quentin's bat in the lineup, so they need to find a spot to get him on the field, and RF makes the most sense. Makes sense to me atleast.

Dye was not a horrible RF in his first 2-3 years with the Sox. He went downhill quickly after that though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)

Don't hate on Smallz.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)

How many more balls will he get to this season if his Plantar fasciitis is healed?