Any Ideas why Major Networks Dislike The Sox?

Rooftop Shots

again, outside of Bos and NYY I imagine every team's fan can have a similar complaint. Like somebody said above, the Cubs got little coverage on MLBN last year near the end, people didn't even falsely pump up the good record Quade had on the national level.

I watch a decent amount of MLBN, they tend to cover the Sox well. Even though some of it is mocking him, they always go crazy when they're going to cut to a Sox highlight and Hawk is saying one of his tag lines or even if he's silent when something bad happens to the Sox. Plesac alone gives them a ton of coverage on nights he's in the studio.

Imagine what Brewers fans must be thinking, to add Greinke and Marcum in an off-season and you get some decent coverage on it... those are two MAJOR additions to a pitching staff, ESPN would have made the series 31 for 30 and added a documentary about the process of acquiring those two if NYY did it.

Eh, there is nothing about us that should be dominating the headlines. I think we fall into the fringe of the second tier of teams. We aren't in the Boston/Yankees/Phillies group for sure. I would tend to put us at the end of the next batch of teams that if they have things go right for them, they have a chance at making it. There are still questions to be answered for sure.

If you're talking national attention than the NYY belong with those 3, if you're talking this year, I highly disagree. The NYY have some major flaws, beginning with that rotation and I think Jeter is going to continue to age and hurt them, not to mention 18 or so games just got tougher for their pitching staff because the O's did a nice job of improving their offense.

I know I may get flamed, but everything being equal and the divisions they are in, I like the Sox chances of winning their division better than the NYY.

Outside of the NL East and slightly Boston in the AL East, I don't see any team that is just head and shoulders above the rest of their division, I think it's going to be an excellent year for the division races and many teams are going to be involved, the White Sox certainly amongst those teams.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Compared to the teams that get the air time, we just don't have enough fans. Networks need the viewership other teams provide, and we're just not first tier in that regard. Simple as that.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

It may not be fair that a incompetently-run organization (from a win/loss perspective) like the Cubs can inspire sheep-like devotion, but that's life.

You want more fans? Win more often.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
again, outside of Bos and NYY I imagine every team's fan can have a similar complaint. Like somebody said above, the Cubs got little coverage on MLBN last year near the end, people didn't even falsely pump up the good record Quade had on the national level.

I watch a decent amount of MLBN, they tend to cover the Sox well. Even though some of it is mocking him, they always go crazy when they're going to cut to a Sox highlight and Hawk is saying one of his tag lines or even if he's silent when something bad happens to the Sox. Plesac alone gives them a ton of coverage on nights he's in the studio.

Imagine what Brewers fans must be thinking, to add Greinke and Marcum in an off-season and you get some decent coverage on it... those are two MAJOR additions to a pitching staff, ESPN would have made the series 31 for 30 and added a documentary about the process of acquiring those two if NYY did it.

If you're talking national attention than the NYY belong with those 3, if you're talking this year, I highly disagree. The NYY have some major flaws, beginning with that rotation and I think Jeter is going to continue to age and hurt them, not to mention 18 or so games just got tougher for their pitching staff because the O's did a nice job of improving their offense.

I know I may get flamed, but everything being equal and the divisions they are in, I like the Sox chances of winning their division better than the NYY.

Outside of the NL East and slightly Boston in the AL East, I don't see any team that is just head and shoulders above the rest of their division, I think it's going to be an excellent year for the division races and many teams are going to be involved, the White Sox certainly amongst those teams.

I got your back on this one. NYY pitching suuuuuuucks. Just imagine if Sabathia went down. I might pee my pants with glee.

I understand the fan thing and what not but Karl Ravech was on Mike and Mike this morning and they were talking about the Cardinals and The NL Central.

He thought the Cardinals had the best team but went on about the following;

The cubs should be better and give them more compition talked about Pena and Garza, the Reds will be right there and the Astros you never know about.......ok, the Brewers on paper are the deepest team in that division......yet he felt the need to talk about the cub more than any other team in that division.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
The White Sox got more love from MLB Network than anybody when they featured the team on the doc series The Show. And Rod Allen is a tool and they were laughing at him because he was such a homer listing the Sox behind the Tigers. The reason? Allen went on to say the bullpen. He said Sale (4 saves last season) and Thornton (8 saves last season) have NO closing experience...way to be informed on national TV, buddy.

Allen is one of my favorite color guys to listen to on Extra Innings....he knows the Sox well and he is always very complimentary. But I suppose it's not much of a surprise that he'd be a homer in front of a national audience.....that'd be like expecting Hawk to rave about the twins...errr :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
Actually, I always found Harold Reynolds as a "pro" White Sox guy. He was raving on and on about Beckham last year, and he even picked Beckham for the future "All-Decade" team at 2B for 2010-2019, better than the likes of Utley, Kinsler, Cano, Pedroia, etc.

Hmmm! Quite impressive. I guess I was just kind of puzzled when he laughed when we were mentioned in the top ten this year, and ducked the Sox rotation question as far as us being up there with the best..

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
If this really bothers you, then you're a fan of the wrong team.

I'm puzzled by your quote.

Because I like to hear good reports and comments from pros about the team that I follow, and if that doesn't happen, then that makes me a fan of the wrong team???? Wow! I was simply stating a few points, that with the team that we have, and the acquisions that were already added to what we have, as to why we seem to still get ducked in conversations as not even being in the same league when talks are mentioned on high profile teams.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)

Because I like to hear good reports and comments from pros about the team that I follow, and if that doesn't happen, then that makes me a fan of the wrong team???? Wow! I was simply stating a few points, that with the team that we have, and the acquisions that were already added to what we have, as to why we seem to still get ducked in conversations as not even being in the same league when talks are mentioned on high profile teams.

The key clause there..."If that really bothers you". If you want to be a fan of this team, you can't let it bother you. We're always going to get ignored in conversations. At least for the foreseeable future. That's just reality.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)

Why would you give two s*** about what the national media, "experts" or dumbass pundits think?

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Rod Allen is a Tigers broadcaster. They were heavy on the Tigers last week on MLBN.

I try not to care about "Sox Love" from the national media. I go with a "Who cares? Just win, baby." attitude.

He also was a White Sox draft pick and minor leaguer who was part of the deal to Seattle that brought Wimpy to the Sox. As far as national coverage, it seems to me the more national guys drool over the Sox the more dissappointing they become. Its better that they hop on the bandwagon in July and act like they knew they would be good all along.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
He also was a White Sox draft pick and minor leaguer who was part of the deal to Seattle that brought Wimpy to the Sox. As far as national coverage, it seems to me the more national guys drool over the Sox the more dissappointing they become. Its better that they hop on the bandwagon in July and act like they knew they would be good all along.

I'm still a fan of Rob Neyer in 2005. He was the only guy out there who picked the White Sox to win the AL Central to start the year. The Sox then stormed out to the best record in baseball in April, and by May 1, Neyer started constantly saying that the Indians would come back and win the Central.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Why would you give two s*** about what the national media, "experts" or dumbass pundits think?

Its always nice when they praise your team and talk in depth about it, but you are right, what Mitch Williams thinks or Harold Reynolds or anyone at ESPN or Ozzie and KW, it really doesn't matter. What matters starts April 1st.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Its always nice when they praise your team and talk in depth about it, but you are right, what Mitch Williams thinks or Harold Reynolds or anyone at ESPN or Ozzie and KW, it really doesn't matter. What matters starts April 1st.

I'm not sure whether this bothers me or not. If I had a job as an analyist on MLB Network, and my job was to give educated commentary on every single team, I'd do my best to know them backwards and forwards. I'd like to know everyone in their bullpens, I'd like to know which ones disappointed the previous year, which players overachieved, what's waiting at AAA, what's working upwards at AA for each team, which organizations look bad because of injuries, which organizations might be being overrated, etc.

I think, if that's all I ever had to do was prepare 8 hours a day to go on a show at night and talk about baseball for 30 minutes, I could probably pull off most of that, but it'd take a lot of effort and I'm sure I'd miss a few things. I think I can talk pretty intelligently about a lot of teams, but I don't know anyone's system as well as the Sox. Even with that though, I think I could give you a much better set of soundbites and discussion than what any of them give, statistically based or whatever.

Thing is though, I'm pretty sure that "7 hours of research, a half hour of makeup, and a half hour on TV" isn't their job description. There's probably a lot more setup, interviews, meetings, etc. If I had only 1-2 hours a day to learn about teams, and then I had to plug in days where I didn't even get that because I had a special feature or I had to meet with a guest, my coverage would probably look an awful lot like the people on MLB Network. I'd occasionally surprise by being able to talk about something you didn't expect me to know, like some random player's contract status or a potential surprise prospect like Morel, but there'd be so much left out from what I could know, I'd be stuck talking about the things I'd been assigned to cover.

I remember in '05, most 'experts' had the Sox finishing 3rd or 4th in the division going into ST. I remember Ryan Sandberg (Yahoo sports writer at the time) being the only guy to pick the Sox to make the playoffs that year. I could care less what the major networks say about the White Sox. One thing i know is- this team is the best on paper since the 2006 team.