Jay Mariotti Speaks

Actually a pretty good listen on his situation and sports media and Chicago. There's some stuff on his issues with the White Sox too, he touches on Ozzie a bit in part 2. He's still a jack ass.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/jasonwhitlock/

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The D-bag of the Year is back again, at least he has dropped from beating his girlfriend, down to just trying to intimidate her. Then again, pulling hair? Jesus Jay, that is pathetic. I hope he gets thrown into prison and treated the exact same way.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/12/new...t-jay-mariotti/

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Former Chicago Sun-Times sports columnist and ESPN personality Jay Mariotti was back in court this week, facing new charges after he confronted his ex-girlfriend the same day a court ordered him to stay away from her.

He pleaded not guilty Wednesday to three felony charges – stalking, corporal injury on a spouse or domestic partner, and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injured. He was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of disobeying a court order.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in state prison. His next court date is June 1 before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz.

In addition to confronting his ex-girlfriend at a restaurant Sept. 30 — the day he pleaded no contest to one count of misdemeanor domestic violence — prosecutors said he argued with his former girlfriend again outside a Venice, Calif., restaurant April 15. He allegedly pulled a chunk of her hair out and grabbed her cell phone, while shouting at her, prosecutors said.

As part of a deal reached in the original case with the Los Angeles city attorney’s office, six other misdemeanor counts against Mariotti were dismissed — four domestic-violence-related counts, grand theft and false imprisonment.

In September of las year, Mariotti was charged with pushing and shoving his girlfriend in their Venice, Calif., apartment. When officers arrested Mariotti in August 2010, they noticed cuts and bruises on the woman.

The incident stemmed from a running argument between the couple that started at a club in Santa Monica after Mariotti accused his girlfriend of flirting with another man.

Police said the argument continued at the couple’s Venice-area apartment, where Mariotti allegedly pushed and shoved the woman. During the altercation, Mariotti grabbed her arm, leaving marks, according to police sources.

In that case, Mariotti avoided jail time and was instead placed on three years’ probation and required to perform 40 days of community service. He was ordered to complete a 52-week domestic violence course and stay away from the victim. He could face county jail time in connection for violating probation.

The sports columnist quit the Sun-Times in 2008 and went to a sports website run by AOL.

Never one to mince words, Mariotti set his bridge to the newspaper world aflame in a conversation with CBS 2′s Dorothy Tucker at the time.

“I’m going to be completely honest with you, the profession is dying,” he said in August 2008. “I don’t think I’m breaking any news here.”

His comments prompted angry responses from across the local media. Legendary Sun-Times movie critic Roger Ebert accused Mariotti of “shouting” at his readers, and “stomping your feet when owners, coaches, players and fans didn’t agree with you.” He called Mariotti’s columns “1,000-word rants.”

“On your way out, don’t let the door bang you on the ass,” Ebert said in concluding his Aug. 28, 2008, letter.

Also upon Mariotti’s resignation, sports columnist Chris De Luca called him “the venom-spewing columnist” who was acting like “a scorned lover.”

In addition to working at ESPN, Mariotti also wrote for the sports website Fanhouse.com, where he is known for criticizing athletes for their actions on and off the field. A nationally known sports personality, Mariotti has gained a reputation for his unsparing commentary about athletes on ESPN’s “Around the Horn.” He has not contributed to ESPN since his arrest.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I didn't know that Ebert said all of that stuff. That's cool.

Link to Ebert's open letter to Jay in '08.

Dear Jay,

What an ugly way to leave the Sun-Times. It does not speak well for you. Your timing was exquisite. You signed a new contract, waited until days after the newspaper had paid for your trip to Beijing at great cost, and then resigned with only an email. You saved your explanation for a local television station.

As someone who was working here for 24 years before you arrived, I think you owed us more than that. You owed us decency. The fact that you saved your attack for TV only completes our portrait of you as a rat.

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, although you predicted the death of the Sun-Times and the Tribune. Neither paper will die any time soon. Job-hunting tip: It is imprudent to go on TV and predict the collapse of a newspaper you might hope would hire you. Times are hard in the newspaper business, and for the economy as a whole. Did you only sign on for the luxury cruise? There's an old saying that you might have come across once or twice on the sports beat: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, because there are still readers who want the whole story, not a sound bite. If you only work on television, viewers may get a little weary of you shouting at them. You were a great shouter in print, that's for sure, stomping your feet when owners, coaches, players and fans didn't agree with you. It was an entertaining show. Good luck getting one of your 1,000-word rants on the air.

The rest of us are still at work, still putting out the best paper we can. We believe in our profession, and in the future. And we believe in our Internet site, which you also whacked as you slithered out the door. I don't know how your column was doing, but we have the most popular sports section in Chicago. The reports and blog entries by our Washington editor Lynn Sweet have become a must-stop for millions of Americans in this election year.

After a recent blog entry I wrote about the Beijing Olympics, I woke up at 5 a.m. one morning, when North America was asleep, and found that 40 percent of my 100 most recent visitors had been from China. I don't have any complaints about our Web site. So far this month my Web page page has been visited from virtually every country on earth, including one visit from the Vatican City. The Pope, no doubt. Hope you were doing as well.

You have left us, Jay, at a time when the newspaper is once again in the hands of people who love newspapers and love producing them. You managed to stay here through the dark days of the thieves Conrad Black and David Radler. The paper lost millions. Incredibly, we are still paying Black's legal fees.

I started here when Marshall Field and Jim Hoge were running the paper. I stayed through the Rupert Murdoch regime. I was asked, "How can you work for a Murdoch paper?" My reply was: "It's not his paper. It's my paper. He only owns it." That's the way I've always felt about the Sun-Times, and I still do. On your way out, don't let the door bang you on the ass.

Your former colleague,

Roger Ebert

We all knew he was an idiot and a d-bag, but this latest news truly suggests he is seriously disturbed. Confronting and assaulting his victim on the very day that the order compelling him to stay away from her is entered? That's psychotic.

Don't drop the soap, Jay.

• 1 month later...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/29/jud...to-stand-trial/

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Former Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti must stand trial on charges he stalked, injured and assaulted his ex-girlfriend, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark Windham found there to be sufficient evidence for Mariotti to stand to trial on one felony count each of stalking, corporal injury to a spouse or cohabitant and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury. He also faces two misdemeanor counts of disobeying a domestic court order.

Prosecutors say Mariotti confronted the woman at a restaurant Sept. 30, the same day he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor battery count stemming from an August incident with her.

In that plea, he was sentenced to 36 months of probation, community service and a domestic violence course.

Mariotti, a former ESPN commentator, is also accused of grabbing his former girlfriend outside a Venice restaurant on April 15. He allegedly pulled a chunk of her hair out and took her cell phone from her while shouting at her.

Mariotti’s lawyer, Shawn Holley, called the allegations meritless.

“We look forward to trial when we will have the opportunity to present a strong and vigorous defense,” Holley said in a statement.