Spring Training Pictures

Kalapse

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
lmao. I figured either you or Kalapse would come through. I will keep him in mind after every one of Dunn's 45 torpedos.

WTF is an NL Only hitter? I mean, I can understand an AL Only hitter because he needs to DH and can't play defense (Jim Thome), but NL Only? WTF?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
WTF is an NL Only hitter? I mean, I can understand an AL Only hitter because he needs to DH and can't play defense (Jim Thome), but NL Only? WTF?

Umm, is the NL reputed to throw more fastballs? I don't know if I've heard that or not, but I doubt the FB% is different enough for there to be "NL-only hitters"

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)

I'm sorry. That was the dumbest s*** I've heard on this board (not that he's dumb, mods, just that the comment was dumb). I was too shocked to even comprehend what was being said.

I can't wait to get some new pictures from this season ...can't wait to go to Az. ..can't wait to bake in the bright hot sunshine with a strawberry lemonade (awwwwesome at Camelback!!) and a hotdog with everything on it and maybe a beer or two ..wiping sweat from my brow, listening to the crowd and the pop of the bat cracking the ball ..I may have just had an orgasm ...just saying! ..Hopefully this season I won't nearly be hit by a piece of candy Ozzie Guillen tries to throw to the kid directly behind me ..if it weren't for my legit dodging skills, I would have had to bum rush the dugout and teach him a thing or two! LOL

I never mentioned it before ...but I'm a ninja on the side ..kind of a hobby I picked up!

Edited by IChaseBlackWood

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)

I've always associated the NL with fastballs and the AL with breaking balls, but it's not as if that's all you get in either league. Regardless of whether that is right or wrong, Dunn can hit pretty much any pitch. His pitch values per 100 seen (2010, then career)

wFB/C - 2.10, 1.75

wSL/C - -0.01, -0.30 (he's had success at different points too)

wCT/C - -2.32, 0.44

wCB/C - 0.19, -0.06

wCH/C - -1.39, 0.79

wSF/C - 1.83, 0.13

wKN/C - 2.19, 4.25

He's always been able to hit fastballs, but he has made significant improvements (save 2008) hitting sliders and split-fingers. He has struggled a bit more with the changeup in recent years, but he's generally done fine against it. It would also appear that he does just enough against the curveball that you can't continuously throw it to him.

All things considered, Dunn is a great hitter. He's going to do just fine this year.

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
I can't wait to get some new pictures from this season ...can't wait to go to Az. ..can't wait to bake in the bright hot sunshine with a strawberry lemonade (awwwwesome at Camelback!!) and a hotdog with everything on it and maybe a beer or two ..wiping sweat from my brow, listening to the crowd and the pop of the bat cracking the ball ..I may have just had an orgasm ...just saying! ..Hopefully this season I won't nearly be hit by a piece of candy Ozzie Guillen tries to throw to the kid directly behind me ..if it weren't for my legit dodging skills, I would have had to bum rush the dugout and teach him a thing or two! LOL

I never mentioned it before ...but I'm a ninja on the side ..kind of a hobby I picked up!

Damn, I've got to marry me a ballplayer!

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
can't wait to bake in the bright hot sunshine with a strawberry lemonade (awwwwesome at Camelback!!) and a hotdog with everything on it and maybe a beer or two ..wiping sweat from my brow, listening to the crowd and the pop of the bat cracking the ball ..I may have just had an orgasm ...just saying!

No wonder I have never given a girl one of these. I have been going about it all wrong.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
I've always associated the NL with fastballs and the AL with breaking balls, but it's not as if that's all you get in either league. Regardless of whether that is right or wrong, Dunn can hit pretty much any pitch. His pitch values per 100 seen (2010, then career)

wFB/C - 2.10, 1.75

wSL/C - -0.01, -0.30 (he's had success at different points too)

wCT/C - -2.32, 0.44

wCB/C - 0.19, -0.06

wCH/C - -1.39, 0.79

wSF/C - 1.83, 0.13

wKN/C - 2.19, 4.25

He's always been able to hit fastballs, but he has made significant improvements (save 2008) hitting sliders and split-fingers. He has struggled a bit more with the changeup in recent years, but he's generally done fine against it. It would also appear that he does just enough against the curveball that you can't continuously throw it to him.

All things considered, Dunn is a great hitter. He's going to do just fine this year.

I can't figure out if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
535? Holy s***. What's the longest ever hit in the majors, since decent measurements began? Can't be much more than that.

I saw a Brewers prospect named Joey Meyer hit a 600 foot shot in Denver when the Denver Zephyrs were the AAA team for the Brewers. I didn't think it was ever going to land.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
I can't figure out if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I'm not really doing either, merely adding to the discussion. There are some players who perform better in the NL - guys who are dead fastball hitters, like Pat Burrell, and pitchers who can throw junk, like Carlos Silva - but generally, if you are a good hitter/pitcher, you will be good in both leagues. Adam Dunn is most certainly not an NL Hitter.

I also think a DH should basically be considered an AL player, meaning that they can only start in the AL due to the DH rather than hit in the AL because they can't in the NL. Jim Thome can only get significant ABs in the AL right now because playing him on defense is simply not good for him, but I'm not about to call him an AL hitter.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
582 ft according to Wikipedia.

Thanks. Being old it didn't occur to me to look there. I was thinking it was in 1988 as well.

I've never seen a ball hit like that before or since.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Actually, the Bruce Banner impersonator is AJ.

Upper left: Kinney

Oh, that looked like Danks to me in the tiny version, so I never clicked it. They both make the same funny underbite face when they pitch.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
Thanks. Being old it didn't occur to me to look there. I was thinking it was in 1988 as well.

I've never seen a ball hit like that before or since.

I would love to see a 582 foot shot happen at Wrigley. I imagine it could easily break through someone's living room.