hi8is Goes to Chicago

hi8is

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of my beloved SoxTalk circles...

I am pleased to announce that I will be making my first ever trip to Chicago to see the first two home series at the Cell this year!

Along for the ride will be my father - hi8is Sr.

We need some assistance my bead brothers and sisters.

1.) Which airport is best to fly into

2.) What is a good area to stay ( we're on a tight budget )

3.) What is the best way to get to the park on public transit from the location you have recommended above

4.) Where can we get good deals on cheap tickets ( anyone here have a hookup )

5.) Are you interested in meeting up for a game or a meal?

I'm hoping to meet up with as many soxtalkers as possible.

Thanks for any tips and any assistance.

Love you all - my family.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
I would buy the cheapest ticket and let that determine which airport. However, I personally prefer Midway over O'Hare. If you can catch a flight on SW Airlines, that will probably end up being your cheapest option and land you in Midway anyway.

Midway is definitely more convenient for me. I live about 10 minutes away from there, and it's definitely way closer to the park. It just usually seems that you'll find a cheaper flight with O'Hare because of the much higher volume there.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
1.) Which airport is best to fly into - It doesn't matter.. fly into the airport that has the cheapest fare. Both airports provide direct rail transport to the city. O'hare = Blue Line / Midway = Orange Line

2.) What is a good area to stay ( we're on a tight budget ) - Stay in the River North area. I would look into this deal: http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/976468/ Note that this deal expires on Feb 25. Great hotel and excellent location. From this hotel, you only walk 4 blocks to the Red Line at State & Grand, where you can catch the train to US Cellular Field.

3.) What is the best way to get to the park on public transit from the location you have recommended above - CTA: Red Line to the park/ blue line to O'hare/ orange line to Midway.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
All I gotta say is if you're looking for a spot to eat go to Portillos. They have no peer when it comes to cheesy beefs or ribs. Their shakes are the stuff dreams are made of as well.

Or do the local thing and eat at Ricobene's, then walk to the game (if you can still walk after that).

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
My two cents...a lot of air traffic controllers would tell you that Midway is not safe. That being said, its still an airport that is used. Personally, I stick with O'hare, even though I live closer to Midway.

Why is that? I know its one of the shortest commercial runways in america, but I always prefer it because its easier to navigate.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
My two cents...a lot of air traffic controllers would tell you that Midway is not safe. That being said, its still an airport that is used. Personally, I stick with O'hare, even though I live closer to Midway.

I've never heard that. Have there been any accidents?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)

Actual fatal airline incidents are so incredibly rare, that I can't imagine why people would pick one airport in the US over another for that reason. I mean, its like comparing a 0.0005% chance to a 0.0004% chance. Besides, I can think of at least a couple airline crashes at O'Hare that killed passengers, but I can't think of any at Midway off-hand (the SW flight that skidded off the runway killed two people in a car, but no one on board).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Actual fatal airline incidents are so incredibly rare, that I can't imagine why people would pick one airport in the US over another for that reason. I mean, its like comparing a 0.0005% chance to a 0.0004% chance. Besides, I can think of at least a couple airline crashes at O'Hare that killed passengers, but I can't think of any at Midway off-hand (the SW flight that skidded off the runway killed two people in a car, but no one on board).

The approaches are also very different at MDW. They descend very quickly as opposed to most other airports, and they can also involve hard banking maneuvers during those landings.