Adam Wainwright significant elbow injury

justBLAZE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
It's official. Tommy John time.

This is disappointing. Hate to see a guy so good go down to an injury. This changes the make-up of the NL central quite a bit. I was discussing this with a Cubs fan friend of mine before the news and I had expected to see Milwaukee, STL and the Reds battle it out, with much of my opinion based on clear strengths in starting pitching from all 3 teams. This takes STL out of the "pitching wins divisions" thought process.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
This is disappointing. Hate to see a guy so good go down to an injury. This changes the make-up of the NL central quite a bit. I was discussing this with a Cubs fan friend of mine before the news and I had expected to see Milwaukee, STL and the Reds battle it out, with much of my opinion based on clear strengths in starting pitching from all 3 teams. This takes STL out of the "pitching wins divisions" thought process.

I don't think they'll do it, but I'm totally serious when I say that the right response to this for the Cards is to sell, sell, sell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
I don't think they'll do it, but I'm totally serious when I say that the right response to this for the Cards is to sell, sell, sell.

I disagree, division titles arent won on paper in Spring Training, especially in the NL Central which is weaker than the Ukraine. Stay the course, sign some journeymen and lets see how it starts out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
I disagree, division titles arent won on paper in Spring Training, especially in the NL Central which is weaker than the Ukraine. Stay the course, sign some journeymen and lets see how it starts out.

Millwood would be a good signing for them. However, tough to say NL Central is that weak. There's still some excellent players in that division. I'm excited to see the Brewers, but they'll probably be just as frustrating as ever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)

If they sell, sell, sell, wouldn't that push Pujols farther away? I still think they have a chance to sign him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
If they sell, sell, sell, wouldn't that push Pujols farther away? I still think they have a chance to sign him.

Yes. And I think at this point, selling, selling, selling, is the way to convince him to not employ his 10/5 rights and veto a trade. He won't want to play for a team at the bottom of the division.

Right now, the Cardinals are probably a team that is just over .500 if nothing else goes wrong. They have the best player in baseball, but they're running on scraps for a lot of positions. They could have ridden "2 of the best starters in the NL and Albert" to a shot at the division. What they have now is worse than what they had last year, and last year they weren't close.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Millwood would be a good signing for them. However, tough to say NL Central is that weak. There's still some excellent players in that division. I'm excited to see the Brewers, but they'll probably be just as frustrating as ever.

The winner of that division won't touch 90 wins. I think 84 gets it done.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
He's not producing any offense for my team, so I won't give a s***. If he won't accept a trade that will get him off of a non-contending team so that he can contend this year and help out his current team with prospects, he'll just come off as even more selfish to me. After he convinced the Cardinals to spend a ridiculous amount of money on Holliday in order to persuade him to remain in St. Louis and then asked for the largest contract in the history of baseball, I've already soured on him quite a bit.

I agree with you there.

I'm starting to get tired of Pujol's crap as well. I used to always think he had much more character than to worry about whether he was getting the biggest contract in history. He's just coming across as more and more selfish as this thing goes on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Yes. And I think at this point, selling, selling, selling, is the way to convince him to not employ his 10/5 rights and veto a trade. He won't want to play for a team at the bottom of the division.

Right now, the Cardinals are probably a team that is just over .500 if nothing else goes wrong. They have the best player in baseball, but they're running on scraps for a lot of positions. They could have ridden "2 of the best starters in the NL and Albert" to a shot at the division. What they have now is worse than what they had last year, and last year they weren't close.

If you look at it that way, then I see your perspective. I just think that they still want to re-sign him and still have a chance to in the off-season. Trading away Wainwright would give him even more of a reason to leave. (as would trading Albert away obviously)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Of course you say that publicly. "I'm throwing in the towel this year, please stop buying season tickets".

Well it's not really something you can do privately. As soon as the first starting player is traded for prospects it becomes obvious.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
If you look at it that way, then I see your perspective. I just think that they still want to re-sign him and still have a chance to in the off-season. Trading away Wainwright would give him even more of a reason to leave. (as would trading Albert away obviously)

I don't think anybody will be trading for Wainwright for some time.

If Wainwright becomes a free agent after this season, does anyone else think it would be a great idea for a major league team to sign him to an incentive-laden contract for 3 years for the '12, '13, and '14 seasons?

Imagine if the Sox did that. In 2012, Wainwright can just build up arm strenght by pitching in the bullpen to minimize his innings on his first year back from tommy john surgery. I can also imagine that when Sale reaches an innings limit in the rotation, Sale can be moved to the bullpen towards the end of the season and Wainwright can move from the bullpen and into the rotation for a few innings-controlled starts.

Anyone else think this would actually work?

I hope Wainwright someday bounces back just like Francisco Liriano did, and it would be great if the Sox buy-low on him.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
If Wainwright becomes a free agent after this season, does anyone else think it would be a great idea for a major league team to sign him to an incentive-laden contract for 3 years for the '12, '13, and '14 seasons?

The Cards have a $9mil option for 2012 and a $12mil option for 2013. I know that recovery is no guarantee, but with the recent succes of so many TJ pitchers, I think STL definitely picks up both options. He should be ready for early 2012, and I'm sure he'll have some early issues, he should still be decent and worth close to $9mil. If all goes well, he is back to his normal self in 2013 and $12mil is not a bad deal at all. Of course if he has major setbacks in 2012, then you decline the 2013 option.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
I agree with you there.

I'm starting to get tired of Pujol's crap as well. I used to always think he had much more character than to worry about whether he was getting the biggest contract in history. He's just coming across as more and more selfish as this thing goes on.

Me too.