Rasmus

NCsoxfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case you want reasons why...seriously, we have no place to play Rasmus, Mark Buehrle won't give them the kind of production they were getting from Wainright, they're not in a position where taking on $15 million this season would be a smart move, and the Sox would simply get worse if they sacrificed a starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
Just in case you want reasons why...seriously, we have no place to play Rasmus, Mark Buehrle won't give them the kind of production they were getting from Wainright, they're not in a position where taking on $15 million this season would be a smart move, and the Sox would simply get worse if they sacrificed a starting pitcher.

NAILED IT

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

Well, it would free up money to make an aggressive LT commitment to Danks, no? Buehrle could probably give then better production than almost any other option out there. Agree about no place to put him though...

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Well, it would free up money to make an aggressive LT commitment to Danks, no? Buehrle could probably give then better production than almost any other option out there. Agree about no place to put him though...

Honestly...no it wouldn't. I'd expect that trading Buehrle effectively takes us out of the running for the AL Central this year. Either it dramatically weakens our bullpen (by pulling Sale into the rotation) or it forces us to trade someone else to fill that hole.

If the Sox don't win the Central this year, then they're going to be cutting back on salary anyway, so trading away Mark and not winning the Central would leave the team in the same boat relative to extending Danks.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)

If there is no place to put him, then why would the Sox trade for him?

Probably been mentioned in other threads, but just found the following interesting...

Lastings Milledge: age 25, 1359 minor league-at bats, combined stat-line .301/.379/.470/.849

Colby Rasmus: age 24, 1533 minor league at-bats, .277/.366/.485/.852

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Probably been mentioned in other threads, but just found the following interesting...

Lastings Milledge: age 25, 1359 minor league-at bats, combined stat-line .301/.379/.470/.849

Colby Rasmus: age 24, 1533 minor league at-bats, .277/.366/.485/.852

I know you aren't technically comparing them and suggesting they are equal and more that it's kind of coincidental that they have similar minor league lines, but Rasmus's game does and has translated to the majors much better. Rasmus draws more walks and hits for more power, so he is less likely to suffer from dealing with better fielders and is less prone to seeing huge variations in his final splits due to BABIP outliers. He's also been a better basestealer and a better defender too, and doesn't have near the attitude problems that Milledge has apparently had (though to say he is without attitude problems would be incorrect).

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Am I out of my mind to think that a Buerhle / Rasmus deal would make sense right now?

For us? Other than the fact our rotation is only 4-deep at the moment (depending on what we hear and what's really the reality about Peavy) it makes perfect sense for us. Colby Rasmus is a toolsy, athletic, multi-skilled, young and cost-controlled for the next 4 years. In other words, the line would be pretty backed up for his services should the Cardinals ever make him available. As far as where he would play? You sit Juan Pierre's next to worthless ass down for a year and put Rasmus in left. Will just have two expensive bench scrubs for a year. If CQ flops again, you non-tender him, put Rasmus in CF, move Rios to right and search for a competent LF. The considerable amount of money saved, since you're talking a straight one for one swap, throw a little of it at a guy like Kevin Millwood for a year and hope he can pull a 2009 fluke-like year out of his ass.

For the Cardinals? This makes NO sense. None at all. They've got bigger fish to try with Mr. Albert. They're in no position to be trading away one of the few cheap, ultra-talented players they have a for a 32-year old due $14 million, who's a year away from FA. Even if they were open to dealing Colby, they'd shoot much higher than Mark Buehrle. I know this is hard to believe for many. But Mark means a lot more to us than he would most franchises. I'm not saying he's not respected around the league. But I don't think he's viewed as the difference maker some around here make him to be. And this coming from a guy that's adored him for years

Edited by Jordan4life

If the Sox are struggling or completely out of it by the end of July, dealing Quentin and Buehrle for Rasmus would make sense for them. But probably not the Cardinals.

Mark won't be moved unless the Sox struggle. And even then, it's kind of unlikely.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
If the Sox are struggling or completely out of it by the end of July, dealing Quentin and Buehrle for Rasmus would make sense for them. But probably not the Cardinals.

Mark won't be moved unless the Sox struggle. And even then, it's kind of unlikely.

I'm inclined to agree. But only because of our pitching situation, majors and minors. It's just my opinion, but from a pure baseball standpoint, and not for nostalgia purposes, there's no way anybody can deny Rasmus >> Buehrle from this point on.

I agree with J4L and the other posters in saying that Mark is worth more to us from a sentimental point of value that actual capabilities right now. I am not saying he does not get it done but his ceiling is now what it is, a good, solid 3/4 pitcher capable of giving you 200 innings with a 4.00 ERA. I used t think the St. Louis area connection would be something we could leverage if we were ever dangling him to the cardinals but not anymore. And TBH he will never be considered in 1 to 1 swap for Rasmus by the Cardinals.

Edited by chisoxfan09

I think if there's anything to be learned from the Wainwright injury, it's that having a surplus of pitchers can really come in handy. I'm not in any rush to trade one of ours away unless we're out of it midseason. It would be hard to argue against a Buehrle for Rasmus swap, but since that won't happen there's not much point in bothering. I don't know that our team has any need important enough to fill that it would require trading a starter (for a realistic return that is, which Rasmus is not). Not yet anyways

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Someone on MLBTR mentioned Sale for Rasmus. That's an interesting trade offer. I'd do it though.

Definitely interesting. But like I've said before (probably 234 times in the last 6 months), with impending FA for Jackson, a Boras client, and Mark, combined with the albatross that could be Jake Peavy's contract through at least 2012 and the fact there's nothing in the pipeline pitching wise that even scenario or jpn could even pretend to get excited about, there's no way we can afford to trade away any cost-controlled pitching. Even if Sale ultimately ends up a set-up man/closer.