Rasmus

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
PTATC, have you ever seen an advantage to the pitching motion or arm strength if a lanky or really skinny player bulks up and gains weight and also gains strength in their arm?

No.

In fact studies show there is no correlation to muscle strength and how hard a person throws. There are so many variables that go into throwing. One of them is length of a lever arm so pitcher with longer arms have a better chance to throw hard but it's not a direct correlation. Intuitively, it makes sense that the stronger you are and the better built you are that you would have a decreased chance of injury but again there is no proof from a study.

Mechanics are a different story. The smoother more direct mechanics seem to put less stress on the soft tissue structures of joints. However, hitters can see the ball better this way. The funky mechanics or "hiding the ball" with odd mechanics can give a pitcher an advantage. This is more likely to happen with lanky arms.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
That's exactly why I would trade him too. I think he can be a starter, but I am doubting the organization believes he can be.

My opinion differs in that I don't think he can be an effective starter. I think he lacks a real "out" pitch to work deep into games, and I wonder if he can repeat his motion over 6+ innings in the big leagues. There is just something about his delivery and mechanics, like I can't quite put my finger on it, but I know it when I see it.