2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

This is not a good thing.

- Los Angeles police are looking for two men who beat and critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the opening day game.

The victim is a 41-year-old man from the San Francisco Bay Area, according to Los Angeles Police Department Det. P.J. Morris. The man is in serious but stable condition at a local hospital, police said. Earlier Friday, LAPD Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg said the injury was not life-threatening.

Morris said that the man and two friends were walking to their car after Thursday night's season opener, won by the Dodgers, 2-1. All were wearing Giants apparel. Two men, wearing Dodgers gear, followed them and words were exchanged.

The victim was hit in the head, Morris said, and fell to the ground, hitting his head on the pavement. He was then kicked several times in the torso and head. Morris said the suspects fled the scene.

Police looked at video footage, but said it was inconclusive. Interviews with several witnesses have taken place.

"It is extremely unfortunate that this incident took place on what was otherwise a great day at Dodger Stadium for tens of thousands of fans," the Dodgers said in a statement. "We're committed to having the most fan and family friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority. We are cooperating fully with authorities during their investigation and we wish this fan a speedy recovery."

Investigators are asking anyone with information on the attack to call police.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Phillies just went station to station to tie their game in the bottom of the 9th....

... And they finish it off with a Mayberry liner to center. 6 singles in the 9th, 3 runs.

And the closers of the NL Central start the year 0 for 3. Watch out Hanrahan or Marmol, you may next.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Anyone else looking forward to getting a glimpse of the Pirates against the Cubs? I'm not a fan of the Bucs overall philosophy, but I feel like guys like McCutchen, Alvarez and Doumit can be Major League stars if they were on a better team. If they had any starting pitching worth talking about, they could fight to go .500 and mess up that division race like Cleveland does in the AL Central every year.

As a 3-year Baseball America subscriber, I'm a fan of any and all premium young talent. I don't care what team they play for. I'd argue McCutchen is already a star and Alvarez isn't far behind. The better these guys get, of course, the better the Pirates will eventually (finally) get. I like Tabata and Walker as well (and, yes, Ace, Jones still sucks). They're going to take either Anthony Rendon or Gerrit Cole with the #1 pick this year. And they've got premium arms in Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie, though each is 2-3 years away.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)
FYI, my predictions for the year were that Brandon Belt would be the NL ROY, and that JP Arencibia was my sleeper pick in my draft. So far, so smart.

I'm tryin' to bang this HOT ass Indian chick that's playing super hard to get. What are my chances? I mean I want like a percentage.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
As a 3-year Baseball America subscriber, I'm a fan of any and all premium young talent. I don't care what team they play for. I'd argue McCutchen is already a star and Alvarez isn't far behind. The better these guys get, of course, the better the Pirates will eventually (finally) get. I like Tabata and Walker as well (and, yes, Ace, Jones still sucks). They're going to take either Anthony Rendon or Gerrit Cole with the #1 pick this year. And they've got premium arms in Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie, though each is 2-3 years away.

Problem for the Pirates is...by the time those 2-3 year away guys arrive, guys like McCutcheon and Alvarez are going to be in their arbitration years, and they're going to be looking to trade them before they get expensive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Problem for the Pirates is...by the time those 2-3 year away guys arrive, guys like McCutcheon and Alvarez are going to be in their arbitration years, and they're going to be looking to trade them before they get expensive.

Fair point. But the Pirates have spent almost $31 million on draft bonuses the last three years, tops in baseball. You don't spend that kinda coin for nothing. And they haven't had players of McCutchen's and Alvarez's talent/potential in quite some time. So I think they'll be a lot more inclined to hang on to them, as opposed to average players like Jason Bay and Nate McClouth, once it's time to pay them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Fair point. But the Pirates have spent almost $31 million on draft bonuses the last three years, tops in baseball. You don't spend that kinda coin for nothing. And they haven't had players of McCutchen's and Alvarez's talent/potential in quite some time. So I think they'll be a lot more inclined to hang on to them, as opposed to average players like Jason Bay and Nate McClouth, once it's time to pay them.

Unless they catch lightning Tampa Bay-style, we will be having the exact same conversation in three years.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Lackey contract=fail

Agreed; Honestly I much prefer both the Jays and Rays to the yankees and redsox for the ALE and WC. The jays pitching is serious business and they've got a good line-up.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Agreed; Honestly I much prefer both the Jays and Rays to the yankees and redsox for the ALE and WC. The jays pitching is serious business and they've got a good line-up.

Come again? I know you love young talent and all, but thinking that the Jays are a superior team to both the Yankees and the Red Sox is assinine. Only 2 of their starting 5 threw 100 innings in the majors last season.

I love what the Jays are doing, think there's a good chance they win 80 games this year on the strength of that offense, and are competing for division titles as soon as 2013, but this isn't the year. In fact, I'm expecting them to get out to about a 30-20 or 40-30 start only to see them come crashing down when all of their young pitchers start hitting a wall. And, to be quite honest, it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see Baltimore finish ahead of them this year, though I'm not expecting it.

I also think Tampa Bay is playing with fire this year. It's been a hot phrase around here, but there is no team in the entire major leagues that is as boom-or-bust as Tampa is. They have a completely rebuilt pitching staff and 4 new starters on offense. Many of them are risk/reward players. They are either going to mesh really well and win a lot of games, or it's going to blow up and get ugly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Unless they catch lightning Tampa Bay-style, we will be having the exact same conversation in three years.

Only time will tell. But if it ends up that way again, then so be it. I'm not a Pirates fan. I'd like to see them get good again. If only to make Cubs' fans lives more miserable.

Lackey contract=fail

Definitely the case so far. And this is actually a point for Jerry and the 3-year contract stipulation. Thing is the Red Sox have drafted and developed an ace in Lester, a budding ace/#2 in Buchholz and had the pieces to land another ace (though not so much of late) in Josh Beckett.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)

Andrew Friedman and Alex Anthopoulos are the top two young GMs in the game, IMO, and exactly the type of GM I would want running the Sox whenever KW quits or get fired (the latter more than likely never happening under any circumstance).

Oh, and I didn't read beautox's post thoroughly. Neither team has a chance of competing with the Yankees or Red Sox this year. But the future is still very bright for both teams.

Edited by Jordan4life

Lackey contract=fail

yeah, I thought they would at least get 2 solid years out of him, but didn't even get the first solid year out of him. Wouldn't be shocked if he puts up a decent year, but looks like that deal may be a dud