2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
1st ballot HOFer Dan Hudson off to a rocky start in Arizona tonight.

Over the next six innings, he gave up a total of two baserunners. (Still got the L though)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
Matsuzaka getting beat around again...seems like he might be a guy that could be acquired with a big chunk of his salary paid...wonder if the Coopster could do anything with him...he's making $10 million this year and $12 million next....I'll bet Boston would be willing to pay $15-16 million of that for a a warm body just to have him gone...

No freaking way. I guess a change of scenery could help, but he's only had one good year in the majors as it is. I don't think it's someone I'd wanna waste my time with. Plus, he's like the anti-MB and takes as much time as possible in between pitches.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Over the next six innings, he gave up a total of two baserunners. (Still got the L though)

No freaking way. I guess a change of scenery could help, but he's only had one good year in the majors as it is. I don't think it's someone I'd wanna waste my time with. Plus, he's like the anti-MB and takes as much time as possible in between pitches.

If you factor in the posting fee, is that one of the worst contracts ever?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
Matsuzaka getting beat around again...seems like he might be a guy that could be acquired with a big chunk of his salary paid...wonder if the Coopster could do anything with him...he's making $10 million this year and $12 million next....I'll bet Boston would be willing to pay $15-16 million of that for a a warm body just to have him gone...

Where's Esteban Loaiza when you need to trade him?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
True. Either way the '3-year' rule was never an option. Now it's REALLY not an option that JD has established himself as one of the best non-ace pitchers in baseball. I'm just saying something is going to have to give. Same with Jackson if he has a good year.

I think the Sox would go 4 just like with MB. However, they will not go more than 4. I don't think Danks will accept 4 unless the money is crazy. I think Danks is gone once he hits FA. KW will need to pull off more trades to get more young pitching.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
I think the Sox would go 4 just like with MB. However, they will not go more than 4. I don't think Danks will accept 4 unless the money is crazy. I think Danks is gone once he hits FA. KW will need to pull off more trades to get more young pitching.

I agree with all of this. And if the Sox don't play well, I get the feeling it will be Danks that gets dealt. If this doesn't work out this team gets sold for scrap.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
I agree completely. And this is why I b**** like I do. It's like even if he goes prime Pedro we're f***ed.

Jackson going crazy means we're "f***ed"? In what world? The reality is that he probably won't re-sign here in the case of a good OR bad year because of his agent. I think it's fine to take the long view when discussing the makeup of the team -- but the 2011 season is only like 10 games old! Try to enjoy Jackson and Danks while we have 'em.

Last night, needing a single for the cycle in the 9th inning of a blowout game, Sam Fuld legged out a double. In further evidence of what's wrong with this country, almost 1/4 of survey takers on Si.com say they would have stopped at first.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/extr...ight/index.html

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Last night, needing a single for the cycle in the 9th inning of a blowout game, Sam Fuld legged out a double. In further evidence of what's wrong with this country, almost 1/4 of survey takers on Si.com say they would have stopped at first.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/extr...ight/index.html

I'm pretty sure Valentin did the same thing in 2000, and it would've been his second that season.

Our old friend Juan Uribe being sued for $145,000 for midnight fish-fry

Former Giant-turned-Dodger Juan Uribe is being sued by his San Francisco landlord over a late-night fish fry that ended with $145,000 in damages to the condo he rented across from AT&T Park last year.

"When you hear the boos from the fans, I'll be one of the loudest," said Christina Esteras, who leased the two-bedroom, two-bath condo at 88 King St. for $4,400 a month.

Uribe, who is expected to be in town to play his old team today, was the last in a string of Giants that Esteras had rented to over the years. Other past tenants included Randy Johnson, Reggie Sanders and former manager Felipe Alou.

"It was a very easy arrangement," Esteras said.

Until last June 29, that is - when, according to Esteras, Uribe had a midnight fish fry that triggered a grease fire. It destroyed the kitchen cabinets and appliances, plus set off the sprinkler system - flooding the condo and sending water into the two condos below, as well.

"Basically, he admitted what happened and said he would take care of it," Esteras said. "Instead, he just walked out on me."

Esteras, who is still trying to fix the damages, has hired attorney Peter Zouras and filed a claim for damages in San Francisco Superior Court.

Uribe - who has a three-year, $21 million deal with the Dodgers - could not be reached for comment. Uribe's lawyer did not respond to calls for comment.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Jackson going crazy means we're "f***ed"? In what world? The reality is that he probably won't re-sign here in the case of a good OR bad year because of his agent. I think it's fine to take the long view when discussing the makeup of the team -- but the 2011 season is only like 10 games old! Try to enjoy Jackson and Danks while we have 'em.

I don't care if Jackson goes Felix Hernandez this year. If he walks after this year then the trade will have been a colossal fail. Hudson is right on par with Jackson from a talent/stuff perspective. And he likely has better command/control. Forgot about AL/NL crap. And Arizona has another 5 years or so before they have to worry about losing him to FA.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
Come on now, Jackson has better stuff than Hudson. Stuff doesnt make you a better pitcher, but Edwin has more of it. I have yet to see any publication put Hudson on par with a guy like Pedro, which is the type of talent Jackson was working with.

Comparing Edwin Jackson and Pedro Martinez's stuff reminds me of comparing Daniel Hudson and Edwin Jackson's stuff.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
Come on now, Jackson has better stuff than Hudson. Stuff doesnt make you a better pitcher, but Edwin has more of it. I have yet to see any publication put Hudson on par with a guy like Pedro, which is the type of talent Jackson was working with.

I don't see it. At least not since the trade. FB velocity is roughly the same. I think Jackson has a better slider while Hudson has a better changeup.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
I don't see it. At least not since the trade. FB velocity is roughly the same. I think Jackson has a better slider while Hudson has a better changeup.

Seems like all I'm doing is checking PFX today.

Jackson's fastball is on average ~ 2 mph faster than Hudson's. Jackson sits at around 94.5, Hudson sits somewhere around 92.5-93.5 (not several seasons of data on him yet).

You know Baseball America called Edwin Jackson the Dodgers best pitching prospect since Pedro in 1993.

That is the only reason I brought it up, because that comparison was made (not by me).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...0s/dodgers.html

The Future: Jackson is the complete package, and fits the profile of a top-of-the-line starting pitcher to a tee. He established himself as one of the elite prospects in baseball even before his September callup, and his performance all but guaranteed him a spot in the Los Angeles rotation for 2004. He’s the best homegrown pitching prospect the Dodgers have developed since Pedro Martinez, and they don’t plan on letting this one get away.
Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Seems like all I'm doing is checking PFX today.

Jackson's fastball is on average ~ 2 mph faster than Hudson's. Jackson sits at around 94.5, Hudson sits somewhere around 92.5-93.5 (not several seasons of data on him yet).

Fair enough. I was looking more at what I've see from the two since the trade. But it seems to me Hudson can consistently dial it up at 94/95 from what I've seen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
You know Baseball America called Edwin Jackson the Dodgers best pitching prospect since Pedro in 1993.

That is the only reason I brought it up, because that comparison was made (not by me).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...0s/dodgers.html

2004 was a longggggg time ago.

John Blake

by MDGonzales

Josh Hamilton has a small fracture in right humerus bone in upper arm. Expected to be out up to 2 months. Going on DL.

Update your fantasy teams accordingly. Hamilton injured on a slide to home that wasn't his idea, calls 3B coach stupid.

It still doesnt change the fact that most people agreed that Edwin as a prospect was a potential #1 in the making.

Hudson as a prospect was generally considered a 3 at best, Ive never seen a publication say that he is a potential #1.

Im not saying that they are right or wrong, just generally speaking Edwin Jackson is considered by most to have better stuff than Hudson.

/shrugs