2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious what people think of this strategy. If that really his reasoning, why not just go with the LaRussa move and bat the pitcher 8th?

INF Jamey Carroll and INF Aaron Miles are the best options to bat leadoff with Rafael Furcal on the disabled list for a while, but manager Don Mattingly has a unique reason for wanting to put Carroll in the No. 8 role instead. Carroll has a .372 on-base percentage, one of the highest on the team, yet batted eighth for the ninth time in 18 starts Sunday. Mattingly instead had Miles, who has a .233 on-base percentage this year and .320 for his career, bat in the leadoff spot. Mattingly's reason is because of the frequency that Carroll gets on base with two outs, thereby ensuring the pitcher doesn't lead off the next inning. "I know it doesn't seem a like a big deal," Mattingly said. "But it's so nice to start the next inning without the pitcher up there -- and starting with one out. That's huge. That's why I like using him back there." Nine times this year, including twice Saturday, Carroll reached base so the pitcher could make the final out of the inning, instead of the first out the next inning. Both times, the Dodgers scored runs the following inning.

(Yahoo! Sports)

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm curious what people think of this strategy. If that really his reasoning, why not just go with the LaRussa move and bat the pitcher 8th?

The thing he doesn't bring up is that he's giving Aaron freaking Miles the most PAs on the entire team, which is just sad.

Carroll's not a good player by any means, but Miles is barely a ML bench player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Jose Bautista has reached base 10 straight times. Single in the 8th on Wednesday, 3 hits and 2 walks yesterday, and 3 hits and 1 walk today.

Of course, he's only stayed on base 7 of those times. The other 3 he got to trot around real slow.

He's like really, really f***ing good

re: Jose Bautista's extension

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Yeah, no way I am signing Brady Anderson to that kind of a deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Didn't they learn their lesson with Wells? I know this nowhere near as much money, but no thanks to that deal. Maybe they are assuming the Angels will trade for him in 2013.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
Confirmation the Jays think Bautista is as legit as I do. I wouldn't have gone five years though. But other than the hernia, he has been injury free. He will be worth that contract.

I had another post where I explained exactly why Bautista's emergence came out of nowhere, but I cannot find it.

Currently leading baseball in HR and OPS.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)

I had another post where I explained exactly why Bautista's emergence came out of nowhere, but I cannot find it.

He just kills everything. He is just absurdly good.

You wanna see crazy? Jose Bautista is due $8 million this year. His production through 18 games has been worth $8.5 mill. So, theoretically, he could get hurt and he still would have done enough to justify his contract.

Oh, and I can't think of any one player in the entire AL that I would rather have up at the plate right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
Does nobody get on in front of Bautista? The guy has 7 home runs but only 10 RBI.

Yunel Escobar, Rajai Davis, and Corey Patterson have hit in the 1 and 2 spots 36 times for the Blue Jays this season. Their OBP's

Escobar - .346

Patterson - .245

Davis - .156

Escobar has gotten on the second most for the Jays this season (not counting Nix, who only has 54 plate appearances). I'd go with Nix if I were them in the 2 hole to atleast try and get someone on base, but that offense hasn't quite gotten going yet either. Team OBP of .317 and Bautista is at .506, and mind you, these numbers are from before tonight's game.

Thanks for calling me out! :D

I do remember the post with all the sabermetric stats basically explaining how Bautista was for real. I chose to ignore all those stats and thought it was a fluke. After one month, I am dead wrong.

I am still not buying what Bautista is shooting up.

I thought it was a headline written by The Onion. That's pretty messed up.

At the same time, you have to take context into consideration too. It's entirely possible that it's an inside joke between the two of them and Pie is perfectly fine by it. I have minority friends and we use typical stereotypical racism with each other all the time. There naturally comes a point when you cross a line and it does become offensive, but I've never experienced that personally.

The details in this article are very sketchy, but Roy Oswalt has clearly left the Phillies to head home to Mississippi after tornadoes hit the area where his family lives. Left unsaid in this article is whether or not he's been able to contact his family, although it does say that Oswalt spent a long time on the phone before a brief outing last night. That has to be a deliberate omission.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 03:40 AM)
I thought it was a headline written by The Onion. That's pretty messed up.

At the same time, you have to take context into consideration too. It's entirely possible that it's an inside joke between the two of them and Pie is perfectly fine by it. I have minority friends and we use typical stereotypical racism with each other all the time. There naturally comes a point when you cross a line and it does become offensive, but I've never experienced that personally.

Inside joke or not, hasn't Scott done some pretty douchey things in the past (other than the Obama thing, that's all political)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I've never once gotten one. I haven't even been close to getting one. My luck is just terrible.

I've gotten very close. So close that I was actually reaching for the ball as it rolled down the aisle behind me and a guy two seats away grabbed it before I could.

I also had a ball land a row in front of me but there were so many hands/arms going for it I didn't have a chance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I've never once gotten one. I haven't even been close to getting one. My luck is just terrible.

I was hit by a line drive foul ball when I was ten and a fat woman took it from me.