2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

I would be for this if they added 2 more teams (16 in each league, allowing interleague play to remain special), and allowed 6 teams from each league to make the playoffs, like in the NFL.

Then, like the NFL give the top 2 teams a BYE series. Maybe make the wildcard a literal "Wildcard weekend" 3 game series. Friday-Saturday-Sunday games.

I think Indianapolis could very well sustain an MLB team as I believe the Indianapolis Indians are always one of the highest in attendance. Then maybe give Carolina a team since there is a ton of minor league baseball there already, they could probably get a big baseball fanbase.

That's what I would root for at least. Mainly because I'd love to have a team in Indy. I think that would be a fun "2nd" team for me to follow.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
I don't know why they should. The talent level no longer appears watered down like one could have said 15 years ago. There are very few/no teams that are actively losing money except through horrid management. Franchise value and revenue is soaring. Even teams that have been downtrodden for a decade (Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh) are showing promise. KC, as you stated, has a young and up and coming roster, hopefully several future all stars on it, the All Star game is in KC this year, and supposedly a lovely and updated ballpark.

the all star game is in Arizona this year

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Contract Oakland and KC or Tampa and realign this way:

(4 NL teams to the AL, 2 AL teams to the NL)

AL East:

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central:

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

Milwaukee Brewers

AL South:

Texas Rangers

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays or Kansas City Royals

NL East:

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL Central:

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

St. Louis Cardinals

Colorado Rockies

NL West:

Los Angeles Dodgers

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

San Diego Padres

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Seattle Mariners

The idea that you would even mention KC and contraction in the same conversation is RETARDED. KC supports good baseball, Tampa and Oakland don't. Not to mention the $250 million in renovations to an already beautiful ballpark, that were just completed in July of 2009. Also your list of the divisions there pretty much defeats the purpose of realignment altogether, nice work. Oakland and Tampa both play in dumps in front of nobody. Hell KC wasn't even mentioned the last time contraction rumors were around, that was Montreal and Minnesota.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:01 AM)
Part of the problem now is the imbalance of the AL West & NL Central. Why would they add more imbalance and more divisons with uneven amounts of teams?

Exactly.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
the all star game is in Arizona this year

Right, KC hosts next years' game. Assuming they still have a team... :lolhitting

Edited by High Mileage

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
Yeah contraction is dumb. If anything, expansion would be a more likely plausibility.

WHO KNOWS, MAYBE SOMEONE WILL PICK UP PEAVY

I think Selig is too smart to push that until his league is literally bursting at the seams.

It's got a few weak franchises right now (Tampa), a few that have made themselves into weak franchises (LAD, NYM), but a mostly successful league. There's no huge benefit from pushing hard for Portland or the Carolinas just yet.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Charlotte and Montreal would work with state-of-the-art stadiums.

Portland is a possible real strong baseball market for its size.

But still, expansion right now is nuts. If nothing else wait a few years until the unemployment situation has stabilized and state/local governments aren't cutting jobs left and right.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Baseball died in Montreal with the strike. Toronto doesn't even deserve a team anymore.

I've always thought Austin, Nashville, and Charlotte would be interesting baseball cities. Never thought about Portland, but I could see it...

Still would love to see a team in Indy, and I believe they would support one too.

Indy reached the 540,000 attendance mark for the 14th straight year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Still would love to see a team in Indy, and I believe they would support one too.

You'd have to find a way to multiply that times four to make them a viable franchise in MLB.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)

While it would be cool, there's just too much pull between the Cards, Cubs, Sox, Reds, and Indians.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
Baseball died in Montreal with the strike. Toronto doesn't even deserve a team anymore.

I've always thought Austin, Nashville, and Charlotte would be interesting baseball cities. Never thought about Portland, but I could see it...

For as big as baseball is in the South, they only have one team in Atlanta (no I don't count Florida as the South). I think if you are going to expand, you have to expand in one of the traditionally southern states. Charlotte would be a good start.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
If they did go to 15 teams in each league, what do they do about the odd number scheduling? Do you have an interleague matchup every week? Or does one team get a series off at a time?

You'd have to have at least one team playing interleague all the time. Having a series off would make the season even longer, which is already a problem, and every team has to play every Fri, Sat, Sun, at a minimum for economic reasons.