2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Even though he's constantly hurt. I seem to recall that he has needed like Tommy John surgery or something like that but played through it because the pain didn't bother him that badly. The dude is a monster. If there is somebody who can play through pain, it's him.

I believe it was off-season surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow? I could be wrong, I don't feel like using the google to double check

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Cardinals' Pujols out 4 to 6 weeks with small fracture in wrist. #MLB

Some instant karma right there.

In the previous bottom half of the inning, Pujols hit a home run. Earlier in that at-bat, rookie Louis Coleman was trying to pitch him inside, and of course one got away. It didn't even put Pujols in the dirt, but after his homer he watched it as he walked half way to first, and then glared at Coleman as he rounded the bases. This came AFTER the Cards intentionally hit Alex Gordon earlier in the game...

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)

In the previous bottom half of the inning, Pujols hit a home run. Earlier in that at-bat, rookie Louis Coleman was trying to pitch him inside, and of course one got away. It didn't even put Pujols in the dirt, but after his homer he watched it as he walked half way to first, and then glared at Coleman as he rounded the bases. This came AFTER the Cards intentionally hit Alex Gordon earlier in the game...

I like Pujols less and less with each new subject about him.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)

My mistake. Gordon was hit after all of this, not before. Here's what he had to say...

"The first one went behind me and wasn't even close. I thought it was just an accident, trying to come inside and missed. The next one wasn't even close, either, so I was kind of surprised they hit the leadoff guy in that kind of a game with the meat of your lineup coming up," Gordon said.

The retaliation theory really didn't make much sense considering that Tallet, in fact, was brought in expressly to face the left-handed-hitting Gordon in a tight game.

"If it was on purpose, I mean what is your retaliation? What are you retaliating -- that Albert got hurt at first on a clean play? Or that there was a pitch inside that almost hit Albert that didn't?" Gordon said. "I'd say, 'Quit being a bunch of babies.'"

Edited by High Mileage

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)

I keep telling people he is not what he is portrayed to the media/general public. Though you could say that about any player, but with Pujols it's a complete 180.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
I keep telling people he is not what he is portrayed to the media/general public. Though you could say that about any player, but with Pujols it's a complete 180.

How is he portrayed in the media that is wrong?

I'm not in St. Louis, but I've gotten very little about the guy personally.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 07:13 AM)

Well, recently he's been coming off badly. Do you mean it's the opposite of that? Or is it the opposite of what he has been portrayed as until recently?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
Pujols does so much for mentally handicapped kids down in St. Louis it is ridiculous.

I assume you mean that their treatment facility is just outside of LF and so he keeps hitting the kids with HR balls?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
I assume you mean that their treatment facility is just outside of LF and so he keeps hitting the kids with HR balls?

He hosts a charity golf outing every year, in addition to hosting numerous games where mentally challenged kids get to play baseball.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
Pujols does so much for mentally handicapped kids down in St. Louis it is ridiculous.

Man, I was just going to post this. People need to not pull things out their asses to rip on a guy; Albert's a class-act through and through.

I'm trying to figure out even what the market could be for Albert. Most of the big spenders are set at 1B.

The Yankees have Tex and Boston has Gonzalez. I don't see Albert moving either of them to DH, and I don't see Albert wanting to be an expensive DH right now.

The Mets and Dodgers are out for obvious reasons.

Detroit maybe? I could see Little Ceasar wanting to make a splash, but then he has to figure out how to move Cabrera to DH without sending him to rehab.

I know the Cubs have been said, but with the debt load that Ricketts is carrying, and their attendance slipping like it has, do they really have the money? I haven't see anything yet that tells me that family is going to be pulling money out of their own pockets for players yet.

Anaheim makes logical sense. But they also have some really bad deals on the field there too.

Philly is set at 1B, and if Milwaukee would spend that kind of cash, they would just keep Prince.

Could Washington be a wild card after their crazy contract offers to Tex and Werth the last couple of years?

The only other team I could think of would be Baltimore, but that might be a little salty for them too. I know they have chased after some people lately, but first off no one wants to play there as bad as they are, and second, that is an assload of money you'd have to put up to get him there.

I won't even go through the rest of the teams for payroll reasons... They are already out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
For the top guys there always seems to be teams out there that would surprise you. San Francisco could fit on that list. It'd be crazy with the deal they gave Beltre, but Texas's books look a lot better now.

San Fran is about to come into some big assed deals with their starting pitching. If they sign Albert, it probably means dealing Lincicum.