2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
Which brings up the question...what would happen to a guy like Cooper or Duncan, etc., if they went somewhere else? Mike Maddux had a good year or two to start off in Milwaukee IIRC, but then his staffs started underachieving. Now he's pulling Ogando's out of his hat in Texas.

Ogando's not the best example, because I think he is that talented. If it wasn't for his visa issues, he would have been here earlier, probably for another team.

Would Duncan/Cooper have the same success elsewhere? Time would only tell, but I think they have done it with several players who other coaches couldn't fix, so I would assume they would.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Ogando's not the best example, because I think he is that talented. If it wasn't for his visa issues, he would have been here earlier, probably for another team.

Would Duncan/Cooper have the same success elsewhere? Time would only tell, but I think they have done it with several players who other coaches couldn't fix, so I would assume they would.

Word on Ogando. He would've been up long before last year if not for the human trafficking scandal he was involved in.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
It is. Then I can throw Westbrook, Carpenter (he wasn't s*** before he was a Cardinal), Weaver ('06 playoffs say hello), Franklin (though that didn't last), Jeff Suppan and Jason Marquis. That's just off the top of my head. I don't think there's a consensus, as we're talking pitching coaches here. But nobody sounds silly if they declare Duncan the best.

Nope. The general feeling around the league, according to baseball analysts, are that Cooper and Duncan are two of the very best.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Nope. The general feeling around the league, according to baseball analysts, are that Cooper and Duncan are two of the very best.

Everyone's agreeing on that Gage.

The statement I challenged was that Duncan was unquestionably the single best.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
I heard Michael Kaye on the radio this morning and TWICE he mentioned that the Yankees would be looking to add a starter "like a King Felix" before the deadline. Is Felix even available? The fact that he said it 2x made me wonder.

The Mariners are in contention, if you haven't noticed. So that's a big no.

It would have been a big no even if the Mariners sucked.

I heard Michael Kaye on the radio this morning and TWICE he mentioned that the Yankees would be looking to add a starter "like a King Felix" before the deadline. Is Felix even available? The fact that he said it 2x made me wonder.

lol. Good Bye Cano, Montero, Betances and Banuelos. Felix ain't goin' anywhere.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
The Mariners are in contention, if you haven't noticed. So that's a big no.

It would have been a big no even if the Mariners sucked.

well, exactly, which was why I was wondering why he would bring up Felix. He didn't say Verlander or Weaver, but Felix. Twice. Like he knew something.

Of course they will look for it, but they will end up with someone like Liriano.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)

No, Felix is not available. The Mariners have pitched themselves into contention and Felix recently signed a contract extension through 2014.

Michael Kay is a tool and this idea that the Yankees can trade for anyone simply because they are the Yankees and have money is absurd. I hope they miss the playoffs.

It really would be nice if baseball somehow found a way to regulate payrolls in the next CBA, but I don't see any way that's possible with the strength of the MLBPA and the lack of stones on Bud Selig.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Danks might be sought after by them. They need a lefty.

Of course, Edwin Jackson would be easier to part with, but he's not much better than the guys that they have right now.

Sabathia has a 3.9 WAR

Edwin has about a 2.5 WAR

Garcia has a 1.1 WAR

Burnett has a 0.9 WAR

Nova has a 0.7 WAR

Gordon has a -0.2 WAR

Yankees 2-5 starters (2.5 WAR)

So, yeah, Edwin is basically as good as all of their starting pitchers COMBINED this year (minus Sabathia, of course).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Sabathia has a 3.9 WAR

Garcia has a 1.1 WAR

Burnett has a 0.9 WAR

Nova has a 0.7 WAR

Gordon has a -0.2 WAR

So, yeah, Edwin is basically as good as all of their starting pitchers COMBINED this year (minus Sabathia, of course).

That may be true; but in a results sense, he hasn't been.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Sabathia has a 3.9 WAR

Garcia has a 1.1 WAR

Burnett has a 0.9 WAR

Nova has a 0.7 WAR

Gordon has a -0.2 WAR

Bart has a 1.5 WAR...

And this stuff with Edwin and his advanced statistics is crazy...so is he incredibly unlucky then or are some of these advanced metrics still a bit questionable?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Bart has a 1.5 WAR...

And this stuff with Edwin and his advanced statistics is crazy...so is he incredibly unlucky then or are some of these advanced metrics still a bit questionable?

Context is everything. The reason why Jackson has an ERA a whole run higher than his FIP is because he's getting hit hard. He's giving up 25% line drives. So his .340 something BABIP is not a coincidence, per say. Jackson's tERA is 4.28, which is pretty much what his ERA is right now.

In cases where guys are getting shelled by high LD rates, it's easy to see how FIP might not work. The same thing goes for Zack Greinke right now, too, but to an absolute extreme.

As I go to more baseball games this year (yesterday, Pirates at Nats) and watch others on TV I'm struck by the number of mediocre hitters when they show stats across the screen. Sure you'll occasionally see a guy hitting .297 or .313 but that seems to be rare... lineups are full of guys hitting .228 and s***. Is it just me?