2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Ripken Jr. only got 98.53% of the Vote.

Who WOULD LEAVE HIM OFF THEIR BALLOT?!

Jeter's not getting 100%

It's not even a matter of worthy. There will always be old codgers who think the way baseball was played when they were kids back when the world was in black and white was the unequivocal "RIGHT" way and this generation has to be punished. And these guys live seemingly FOREVER.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Cal Ripken Jr. only got 98.53% of the Vote.

Who WOULD LEAVE HIM OFF THEIR BALLOT?!

Jeter's not getting 100%

It's not even a matter of worthy. There will always be old codgers who think the way baseball was played when they were kids back when the world was in black and white was the unequivocal "RIGHT" way and this generation has to be punished. And these guys live seemingly FOREVER.

Well said. The baseball HOF makes me sick. It's like having a panel of strictly Hawk Harrelson clones.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
I honestly wonder why. That is just crazy.

All I could find is that the waiting period was changed from 1 year to 5 years in the 50s, right when he was eligible. Maybe they didn't think he was on the level with the Babe? I don't know. Either way, its more proof why HOF votes are absolute douchebags.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
I'll say it - I wouldn't vote for him on his first ballot. If Joe DiMaggio, Jimmy Foxx and Roberto Alomar aren't first ballot Hall of Famers then neither is Jeter.

Really, this is your argument? Not until the late 50's/early 60's when the 5 year retirement rule was put in place, players usually never got into the hall the first time around . There was basically a log jam of studs waiting to make the hall back then.

In fact, DiMaggio was the last player to receive a vote while still active.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
The guy is the very definition of a Hall of Famer.

I couldn't agree more. But there's no way he's deserving of the unprecedented honor of unanimous selection, which would distinguish him above EVERYONE else in the history of the game.

Its a really a moot point because it will never happen anyway, but the implication that Jeter is literally in a class by himself is just silly, and one that would only be advanced by a New York writer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Seattle is who we thought they were. That's 15 in a row with a trip to Yankee Stadium looming. Pineda seems to have hit a wall, he had struggled for a few starts before as well. But other than maybe Walden, I think the ROY award is still his.

This team was a .500 team when this streak started.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
This team was a .500 team when this streak started.

Yup. And I believe they were only 2 games out then. Add in a 12-game Rangers win streak and now they are 15.5 back. That's how you blow a division in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Yup. And I believe they were only 2 games out then. Add in a 12-game Rangers win streak and now they are 15.5 back. That's how you blow a division in 2 weeks.

I thought it was nuts to even suggest. But honestly, if you're the Mariners, do you at least consider trading Felix? That organization is in complete shambles right now. Their lineup rivals any from the dead ball era. Not much of a system to speak of. Ackley/Pineda appear to be legitimate building blocks. But they're so far away right now that Felix could possibly mean more to you in a trade than he does pitching for you every fifth day with no realistic chance of competing. What team wouldn't empty out their farm for him?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
I thought it was nuts to even suggest. But honestly, if you're the Mariners, do you at least consider trading Felix? That organization is in complete shambles right now. Their lineup rivals any from the dead ball era. Not much of a system to speak of. Ackley/Pineda appear to be legitimate building blocks. But they're so far away right now that Felix could possibly mean more to you in a trade than he does pitching for you every fifth day with no realistic chance of competing. What team wouldn't empty out their farm for him?

Isn't it amazing that the M's were predicted to possibly win the AL West by some people last year? They were the poster boy of sabermetric principles with Jack Z making what appeared to be good move after good move, but all those good moves haven't turned into much. Justin Smoak's the only positive thing to come out of it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Isn't it amazing that the M's were predicted to possibly win the AL West by some people last year? They were the poster boy of sabermetric principles with Jack Z making what appeared to be good move after good move, but all those good moves haven't turned into much. Justin Smoak's the only positive thing to come out of it.

Seemed like a decent plan. lol. Although most knew they would be offensively challenged. But this is f***ing ridiculous. 4 runs is an explosion for them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)

And even he is really struggling after that blazing hot span he had.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

I believe he's signed through 2015 at a relative bargain. Even if they don't plan on competing until 2013/2014 that would still give them 2-3 years with him on their team. He's just so good already that I don't know if you can do that. Even if the Yankees offered Banuelos, Betances and Nova, can you really make the trade? Hernandez is barely older than them as is and at the end of teh day they are all still question marks. Even their catching trio have their questions. As good as the Yankee prospects are, none are considered close to sure things I don't think. Just a really hard deal to make if you're Seattle. You'd have to get an absolute king's ransom (no pun intended) to deal him

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
I believe he's signed through 2015 at a relative bargain. Even if they don't plan on competing until 2013/2014 that would still give them 2-3 years with him on their team. He's just so good already that I don't know if you can do that. Even if the Yankees offered Banuelos, Betances and Nova, can you really make the trade? Hernandez is barely older than them as is and at the end of teh day they are all still question marks. Even their catching trio have their questions. As good as the Yankee prospects are, none are considered close to sure things I don't think. Just a really hard deal to make if you're Seattle. You'd have to get an absolute king's ransom (no pun intended) to deal him

Hence me asking what team wouldn't empty out their system for him?