2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I thought it was nuts to even suggest. But honestly, if you're the Mariners, do you at least consider trading Felix? That organization is in complete shambles right now. Their lineup rivals any from the dead ball era. Not much of a system to speak of. Ackley/Pineda appear to be legitimate building blocks. But they're so far away right now that Felix could possibly mean more to you in a trade than he does pitching for you every fifth day with no realistic chance of competing. What team wouldn't empty out their farm for him?

I mean, you'd consider it the same way that the Rockies would consider trading Ubaldo. There's no realistic reason to trade him, but if some team comes and offers you what the Cowboys got for Herschel Walker (I really have no comparable from a baseball perspective) then you let him go.

Holy s***, Jerry Meals just handed the game to the Braves with one of the all time worst calls by an umpire. Unreal. Lugo dead to rights at the plate is clearly tagged TWICE before finally stepping on the plate and is called safe, wow.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
Holy s***, Jerry Meals just handed the game to the Braves with one of the all time worst calls by an umpire. Unreal. Lugo dead to rights at the plate is clearly tagged TWICE before finally stepping on the plate and is called safe, wow.

I saw the reactions on twitter and I was looking forward to seeing the play.

Then I saw it on ESPN and I was even shocked it was THAT bad. I'm still in awe. Like, I knew something awful was coming, and I was still surprised. The worst call I have ever seen in all of professional sports.

Some stills:

http://yfrog.com/khss0caj

http://i.imgur.com/JiMyv.jpg

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)

Then I saw it on ESPN and I was even shocked it was THAT bad. I'm still in awe. Like, I knew something awful was coming, and I was still surprised. The worst call I have ever seen in all of professional sports.

Some stills:

Yeah I saw it this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just atrocious. He's got the 3B assignment in the game today. Think he'll be hearing anything from the Pirates bench over there?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Yeah I saw it this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Just atrocious. He's got the 3B assignment in the game today. Think he'll be hearing anything from the Pirates bench over there?

If that happened to your team, wouldn't you just keep your mouth shut about it? The ump has to know he made a mistake already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
If that happened to your team, wouldn't you just keep your mouth shut about it? The ump has to know he made a mistake already.

Absolutely not. He makes a close check swing call today and you don't think there are gonna be some calls from the Pirates dugout?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
I'm sorry, but Meals should be suspended the rest of the year for that.

Give me a break. At live speed, from his angle, I can easily see where it looked like a swipe tag where he actually missed. Doesn't matter if the ball beats him, good umpires watch tags, which is what he was trying to do. If he thought he missed him, he missed him, and s*** like that does happen, guys miss.

Suspended the rest of the year, give me a f***ing break.

Also worth noting, Brian McCann appeared to have popped an oblique on a throw in that game yesterday. Probably a DL trip a coming for him.

With Larry out with his usual set of mid-season injuries, the Braves now officially need a bat. They have a solid backup C so that's not a position of huge need, but they're missing power.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)

Some stills:

Sucks that much worse given that the Pirates are in a pennant race for the first time in forever.

Honestly, at first glance the play looks terrible, but from all the replays, it is impossible to tell if he got tagged.

Terrible tag by the catcher. If that was reviewed, I don't think it could have been over turned (at least by using the NFL standard of replays). However, Lugo pretty much gives away that he got tagged with his reaction.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Give me a break. At live speed, from his angle, I can easily see where it looked like a swipe tag where he actually missed. Doesn't matter if the ball beats him, good umpires watch tags, which is what he was trying to do. If he thought he missed him, he missed him, and s*** like that does happen, guys miss.

Suspended the rest of the year, give me a f***ing break.

Exactly, the Twitter reactions kept saying it was the worst call ever, and I was expecting to something like the Galarraga perfect game. This wasn't even close to that. Was the guy out? Probably. But watching it in live action, I could see where he thought that the swipe tag may have missed him, it's not like his whole glove was laying across his leg. It was a missed call at an inopportune time, but not some travesty to the game of baseball.

Mike Stanton is such a great dude. Only 21 and a monster in the batter's box and a real personable guy. Saw him interviewed on Intentional Talk and he's just having fun out there...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Exactly, the Twitter reactions kept saying it was the worst call ever, and I was expecting to something like the Galarraga perfect game. This wasn't even close to that. Was the guy out? Probably. But watching it in live action, I could see where he thought that the swipe tag may have missed him, it's not like his whole glove was laying across his leg. It was a missed call at an inopportune time, but not some travesty to the game of baseball.

Hell the Galarraga call wasn't "ridiculous" either it just came at a bad time. Watching that play live speed, was another tough call.

People said the same s*** last year when that happened. FIRE HIM! SUSPEND HIM! Get over it. Umpiring is the toughest job of an official in sports because it's the one with the most black/white situations. Football, basketball, and hockey are saved by "In my opinion that was XXX" or in some cases, replay.

f*** I give Meals credit for looking for a tag and not being a ball beats runner out guy.

He also got straight-lined because he didn't have enough time to take 3rd base line extended, where you normally make the call from. Infield grounder he got set best he could to make a call, that's the only way you can call quick infield grounders.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Both MLB and Meals have acknowledged the f*** up:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6808357/...-19-inning-loss

Big deal. Only a story because of when it happened. Calls are missed on a nightly basis.

Only way a guy should be suspended is due to something that he did on purpose, i.e. throwing a call, or something relating to handling players/managers that is a complete no no, etc.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Jacoby Ellsbury has officially become the top premier leadoff man in the AL. Maybe all of baseball. Only other guy in the discussion is Jose Reyes.

And neither of them are reliably healthy.