2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Wow...seems pretty obvious that they were cheating...may seem harmless since they haven't won s***...

But my guess is this may have help Alex Anthopolous ditch Vernon Wells' contract just a bit...

Slimy...

Greatest GM EVER!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/8/10/2355968/...-director-fired

Fired Angels Scouting Director Cries Foul

Los Angeles Angels general manager Tony Reagins talks to reporters during baseball's general managers meetings, Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009, in Chicago. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green)

Bookmark and Share

By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

Follow @sbnbaseball on Twitter, and Like Baseball Nation on Facebook.

Aug 10, 2011 - When Orange County Angels scouting director Eddie Bane was fired last winter, observers couldn't help wondering why. The Angels had been the American League West's best franchise for roughly a decade, and solid drafting had played a big role.

Well, yesterday Bane talked to Bill Shaikin and didn't pull any punches:

Eddie Bane ... was fired last winter by General Manager Tony Reagins. The Angels did not publicly explain the decision.

Bane said he does not accept the reason Reagins gave him - that the Angels' recent drafts were poor.

"Tony and I don't like each other," Bane said Tuesday. "I don't think that's a reason to get fired. Personality clashes are never any fun. I don't blame him for thinking I'm not the greatest guy in the world. He's not a guy I would want to hang out with. I'm sure he feels the same way about me.

"He told me, 'I'm not happy with the last three drafts.' That's ludicrous."

As Shaikin points out, the 2008 draft produced Tyler Chatwood (who's been decent this season, at best) but not much else (yet). The 2009 draft produced super-prospect Mike Trout and pitcher Garret Richards, who debuts against the Yankees tonight. It's too early to say much about the 2011 draft. Bane had been the scouting director since 2004, though; taken as a whole, I suspect he would look pretty good.

Which doesn't mean that Reagins wasn't being sincere about the last three drafts. Maybe the Angels just weren't drafting his sorts of players.

Bane says he and Reagins don't like each other, though. Considering that Bane was the scouting director and Reagins the director of player development for years, both presumably considered themselves candidates to replace Bill Stoneman as general manager when Stoneman retired. There might have been a rivalry there, which presumably didn't disappear when Reagins got the nod as Stoneman's replacement after the 2007 season.

In fact, the only surprise here is that Bane lasted as long as he did, three more years.

I'm not a big fan of Tony Reagins' recent work. Torii Hunter's contract now looks pretty bad. Vernon Wells' looks a lot worse. Reagins blew a bunch of money on Scott Kazmir, and essentially gave Mike Napoli away. But the Angels have won since Reagins took over, and it seems unrealistic to expect him to continue working with a scouting director when the two of them had an apparently irreconciliable personality clash.

I've spent some time with Eddie Bane, and I liked him. But there are plenty of people who don't like me, and if one of them were my boss I wouldn't expect him to work with me for long.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumbli...blems-revisited

It ought to be the best race in baseball. Ought to be.

It's Red Sox and Yankees -- two teams you might have heard about -- separated by one game in the standings, with 46 games to play.

If Major League Baseball, the ESPN television network and poets around the continent could design their perfect stretch-drive script, this would be it, right?

Except for one minor glitch:

It's all about as meaningful as the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason game.

Essentially we know right now, with a month and a half left in the season, both of those teams are going to be playing in October. And if you think it still matters who wins the East and who makes it as a wild card, go ask the 2010 Rays. Or the 2004 Yankees.

Under this playoff format, it barely matters. That's too bad. But that's a fact.

The good news is, baseball has figured out a solution: Add an extra wild-card team and force the two wild cards to battle each other just to live to play in the Division Series and voila -- you have produced massive incentive to finish first.

[+] EnlargeJosh Beckett

David Butler II-US PRESSWIREPostseason bids are highly likely for both the Red Sox and Yanks. But is there enough incentive to win the AL East? Maybe not.

But here comes the bad news: Despite what you may have heard, very possibly from your favorite commissioner of baseball, there's now almost no chance this sport will be expanding the postseason by next year.

And it's far from a lead-pipe lock that an expanded postseason will be part of the next labor deal at all.

That news may come as a shock to anyone who read Bud Selig's quote a few months ago that this change was "inevitable." But we're getting the impression a crazy thing happened behind the scenes on the way to that inevitability:

Nobody has been able to agree on much of anything. Imagine that.

We know both sides think expanding the postseason is a swell idea. But beyond that? They're going to need to figure out a whole bunch of details. And we're hearing that part isn't going so hot.

We've had to piece this tale together from numerous conversations with people around the sport, because the labor talks are taking place in total secrecy, complete with a pact of silence from everyone involved.

But enough tidbits on this particular topic have seeped out to others within the industry that they could at least paint us a picture of where the big roadblocks are located.

So here is where it appears they're running into trouble:

The players view expanding the postseason as just one piece in a much larger jigsaw puzzle. We know this because union chief Michael Weiner laid out the players' vision last month in a meeting with the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Weiner said the players see the expanded postseason as part of an extensive redesign of the regular-season schedule, the October schedule and the whole league and division structure. All those things, he said last month, are "connected."

In other words, if baseball wants to start penalizing wild-card teams by forcing them to play an extra wild-card survivor round (or, very possibly, a one-game winner-moves-on, loser-goes-home sudden-death game), that has a bigggg ripple effect.

At the moment, as this Yankees-Red Sox race reminds us, what the heck is the difference, when the playoffs start, between what it means to finish first and what it means to make it as a wild card? It's miniscule. That's been proven many times.

But if that's about to change -- really change -- the players want to see a radical adjustment to the schedule. If it matters that much who wins the division, shouldn't all the teams in each division be playing basically the same schedule? Of course they should.

[+] EnlargeBud Selig

Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesIf commissioner Bud Selig hopes to add two more teams to the postseason mix, he may first have to solve the realignment jigsaw puzzle.

And what would have to happen to make that possible? Realignment. That's what.

Why? Because you can't map out a "fair" schedule unless all six divisions are the same size and both leagues are the same size. That's Math 101. And we know everybody out there passed Math 101, right? Sure, you did. We won't even make you take a quiz to prove it.

But just because all those folks in baseball understand the mathematics doesn't mean they're now raising their hands to say, "Hey Bud, whatever you need us to do to make this happen, you can count on us." That, of course, is the big issue here.

There are more people in favor of realignment now than there have ever been in the history of baseball -- just as long as it's somebody else's team that's realigning.

Oh, there are teams that would move out of the AL East, but nobody wants to move INTO the AL East. … And teams in the West don't want to get stuck in the same division as teams two time zones away. … And teams in the Central divisions don't want to play a bunch of road games that end after midnight back home.

Get the picture?

These same arguments have been going on for months. And there has been so little progress that an official of one club told Rumblings this week, "I don't think there's any chance whatsoever" realignment winds up happening. Why is that?

"Who's going to realign?" he replied, pithily.

Excellent question. But next week is a big week on that front. How come? Well, there's an owners' meeting next week, in which Jim Crane is scheduled to be approved as the next owner of the Astros.

Crane is a pivotal figure in this drama. Pivotal.

That's because the other 29 current owners have the right to veto any move of any kind -- to another league, to another division, to any place they don't feel like moving.

But Crane doesn't have that right, just because he's the new guy. We keep hearing that he's told Selig behind the scenes that he really doesn't want the Astros to leave the NL Central. But face it. He doesn't have much leverage here.

TRIVIALITY

Matt Kemp and Curtis Granderson are on pace for their first 30-homer, 30-steal seasons. (Ryan Braun and Justin Upton also have a shot.) But can you name the only three active players who have made it into that 30-30 Club more than once in their careers? Tough one! (Answer later.)

If realignment ever happens, you can bet the Astros will be moving -- somewhere. But where?

To the AL West? We're not sure the Mariners, A's and Angels would throw a Welcome to the West party over that announcement.

To the NL West? Then some other team -- presumably the Diamondbacks -- would have to shift to the AL West. And of course, they're not wild about that idea.

So round and round they go, riding the same Ferris wheel they've been riding for months. The trouble is, we're approaching the point at which something needs to give.

Next season's schedule, for instance, has already been tentatively drawn up and circulated -- and needs to be finalized in the next few weeks. We're hearing it looks a lot like this season's schedule, and the season before that, and the season before that.

That's why it's no longer feasible to think we'll see any expanded playoffs next year. If that expansion is going to be tied to a major change in the schedule, it's just too late for that.

It's not too late -- yet -- for things to change by 2013 and beyond. But the hope within the sport was this labor deal could be wrapped up before the next offseason begins. And that's only two and a half months away.

In theory, that's enough time to agree on just about anything -- even issues as major as blowing up the league, division and postseason formats as we've come to know and love them. But ...

What happens if the owners get hung up on realignment, can't agree on who would go where and give up on the whole idea -- for this labor go-round, at least?

It's very possible the players would decide they aren't ready to go along with expanding the postseason, either.

Then a great idea gets tossed onto a back burner, referred to another one of the commish's very special committees or drifts off into space forever. Too bad.

Now maybe that isn't how this turns out after all, because this concept is far from dead. But unfortunately, it certainly isn't "inevitable," either. Not anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)

Move the Dbacks or Astros to the AL, eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule (or real close), and send the top 5 in each league to the playoffs. Done.

I wouldn't blame the better teams for not wanting the extra wildcard. Why should a 96-win team have to play an 84-win team in a single game or 3-game playoff to stay alive? Not winning the division isn't a good answer either. If they're going to add a playoff team, then they have to eliminate divisions and seed the top-5 in the right order. Othewise, don't do it.

ESPNStatsInfo ESPN Stats & Info

Each of the Giants' last 21 HR have been solo HR, the longest such streak in the Divisional Era (since 1969).

The last time the Giants hit a HR that wasn't a solo shot came on July 6 by Nate Schierholtz.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/201...logan-morrison/

Are Florida Marlins sending a message by demoting outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison?

by Joe Capozzi

A transcript of Logan Morrison’s post-game comments with reporters follows below. But first, I might be able to clear up the “incident” LoMo refered to when he said he suspected his demotion was related to something off the field.

First, I was told by a person close to LoMo that the matter was not criminal related or even sordid.

Based on my conversations with people, there were some events leading up to the demotion that had to do with team-related promotional functions. To be clear, the Marlins said they optioned LoMo to New Orleans because he was batting .249.

Earlier in the day, he refused to participate in a photo session with season ticket holders at Sun Life Stadium. That might sound surprising, given Logan’s outgoing personality and popularity with fans, but apparently there were some hard feelings related to earlier promotional activities.

I know that this past Thursday — a Marlins off day — Logan canceled a charity bowling tournament in Miami because he said the Florida Marlins Community Foundation “dropped the ball” and didn’t sell enough lanes in advance.

Logan wasn’t happy about that. And there apparently were some other events in which players were supposed to participate. There was also an autograph signing earlier Saturday, which Logan participated in. But he put his foot down and did not participate in the photo session with season ticket holders.

Morrison is second on the team with 17 homers and third with 60 RBI. He has been playing for nearly a week with five stitches in his right knee.

It’s also no secret that Hanley Ramirez is not loved by his teammates. Jeff Conine has chimed in. So has LoMo and Wes Helms, who was released after the game.

LoMo, though, has been outspoken and candid with the media about almost any issue. He was candid tonight but he stopped short of saying exactly what was on his mind when reporters talked to him about being demoted.

Here’s what he said.

“I’m freaking heart broken and disappointed.”

(Did they give you an explanation?)

“Because I was hitting .240. Yeah. That’s what they said. So. I don’t know if that makes any sense to me or to you guys but all I know is I go out and I give everything for this team. I play hurt, I play through injury and this is how you get treated. It doesn’t seem very fair or right to me.”

(Did they talk about your 17 homers or 60 RBI?)

“No, they didn’t say anything about that. They didn’t say anything about maybe the reason I was hitting 240 is because of I was getting the guy in from third, rolling over ground balls, not worrying about averages, trying to get the run in.

“Am I gonna say I’ve had the best of years or the year I wanted have? Absolutely not. But I’m never satisfied. And uh… .man….”

(Did they say to work on your defense or…? )

“No. They didn’t I asked for an explanation and the one I got was I was hitting .240.”

(Did they give you an idea of when you might be recalled?)

“No. They didn’t say anything like that.”

(Sounds like this caught you completely off guard.)

“Absolutely. Yeah. I mean… I just don’t think this is the way its supposed to be at all.”

(Do you think there’s more to their decision other than what they told you?)

“I absolutely do.”

(Do you think you have been too candid?)

“No. I don’t think it’s that. I think it’s something else but I don’t know if I want to say it right now.”

(Related to on-the-field stuff?)

“No, no. It’s more off-the-field.”

(Do you want to play here?)

“Do I want to play in Florida? I want to play for a big-league team and yes, yes. That’s the big-league team I am with now, or the organization I am with since I am in Triple-A. Yeah. I do.”

(Do you thiink eventually this will turn into a motivator?)

“I don’t know. Right now I just feel resentment and anger. I guess anger can motivate. Sure.”

(When did they give you the news?)

“I was about to get treatment on my knee and my arm that I just left on the warning track but, uh, I got called into the office right there.”

He said baseball operations president Larry Beinfest delivered the news in a room with manager Jack McKeon, general manager Mike Hill and bench coach Brandon Hyde.

“I had no idea what is was, other than they said we’re going to exercise our right to option you to Triple-A. I was like… I walked out. I couldn’t even say anythign at that point, I was so mad.”

(Are you surprised Wes Helms was released?)

“Yeah. That’s surprising, too. I don’t understand it. But I have a feeling it has something to do with the same incident.’’

(Can you elaborate?)

“I don’t want to say much right now.”

(This your hardest day professionally?)

“Yeah. Stand up for whats right and this happens… It’s not right. I don’t knwo what else to say about that but it’s not right.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
It really makes you wonder if Florida would now consider Guillen for Morrison.

Definitely. It's obvious that after this move, LoMo has no place in Florida. They are gonna have to move him, might as well get a manager out of it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Definitely. It's obvious that after this move, LoMo has no place in Florida. They are gonna have to move him, might as well get a manager out of it.

Have you seen how thrilled the people on this site were at the very notion of getting an OF with attitude issues out of St. Louis? They can get a lot more than a manager.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)

Each of the Giants' last 21 HR have been solo HR, the longest such streak in the Divisional Era (since 1969).

The last time the Giants hit a HR that wasn't a solo shot came on July 6 by Nate Schierholtz.

Cody Ross with a 2-run shot to finally end the streak

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Some prospect named Randall Delgado is supposed to take Hanson's next start, then he should be back in under 10 days.

Oh, lame.

They are putting a lot of stock in Derek Lowe's performance down the stretch last year, trusting he'll get it together instead of bringing up Minor or Teheran to replace him.

Teheran is freaking 12-1 down in Gwinnett.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
It really makes you wonder if Florida would now consider Guillen for Morrison.

Wasn't it Morrison who we were supposedly gonna "trade" for Ozzie?

I regret not doing that, because Morrison and Dayan in the corners next year would be some sweet s***.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

I regret not doing that, because Morrison and Dayan in the corners next year would be some sweet s***.

It wasn't the Sox who wouldn't do that, it was the Marlins.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)

When the Marlins asked about Ozzie we told them we wanted Morrison in return. The Marlins said no and went on their merry way.