2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
If he struggles like this next year then a Gordon Beckham comparison works very well.

While Heyward is only 22, you're right...for whatever reason, players do not seem to get any slack cut to them regarding their age once they reach the major leagues. You can be 24 years old only, but if you've been in the major leagues for 3 years and sucked, you are in danger of being a bust. However, if you rake against minor league pitching as you progress through the system at the very same age as the guy in the major leagues has been struggling, you are one hell of a prospect.

That has never made sense to me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
As awesome at the Phillies are, even if they're healthy I wouldn't peg them as the NL champions just yet. I think they'd still be the favorite but assuming the Giants make the playoffs(yes I know they're 3.5 back but I still think they get in) then the NL is going to be really hard to navigate for anyone. Those should be some fun playoff series.

I don't know about that. Other than Panda, they have nobody to hit the ball, and this year's D-Backs are better than the Padres were last year, when SF chased them down.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
While Heyward is only 22, you're right...for whatever reason, players do not seem to get any slack cut to them regarding their age once they reach the major leagues. You can be 24 years old only, but if you've been in the major leagues for 3 years and sucked, you are in danger of being a bust. However, if you rake against minor league pitching as you progress through the system at the very same age as the guy in the major leagues has been struggling, you are one hell of a prospect.

That has never made sense to me.

The odds of failure versus success are much greater in MLB, so if you predict failure more often versus predicting success, you look "smarter". Also known as "Jay Mariotti theory".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
The odds of failure versus success are much greater in MLB, so if you predict failure more often versus predicting success, you look "smarter". Also known as "Jay Mariotti theory".

Of course, but what I am saying is that the players that get tossed into the fire early are not given any additional time in most cases to succeed. It doesn't matter what your age is...if you have shown over the course of a few seasons that you cannot perform in the major leagues, despite your age, then you are usually not given any slack. However, the players that are allowed to come along slowly in the minor leagues are often allowed to reach their potential until they are 26, 27, or even older.

So theoretically, a player such as Jason Heyward could fail in the major leagues from the ages of 21 until he is 24 and then be labeled a bust, while a player such as Ryan Howard might be raking in the minors during those same age years, and be allowed all kinds of additional time to succeed in the major leagues once he finally reaches them, say at the age of 26.

I know in reality, a player with Heyward's potential would ultimately get extra chances to succeed from other teams, but it still seems inequitable to me.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Decent risk for the Pirates, but I really like this deal.

$14.75 million to lock up a guy who's made it to the big leagues for 9 years? People risk that level of money on guys who have never played an inning of minor league ball.