2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRealTPlush

TheRealTPlush Nyjer Morgan - T Dot

Tha Crew Western Wear Day twitpic.com/6g6lom

4 Sep Favorite Retweet Reply

Saddle up Partner's, where taking tha shootm up bang bang Crew 2 tha Lou Aaaaahhhhh!!!

2day I'm known as Tony Tombstone!!! Lol!!!

389978950.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
I'll root like hell for the Brewers in the postseason. I also pray they keep Prince.

Will Weeks be back for the postseason? And I like the Brewers a lot. But I just can't see anybody beating Halladay, Lee and Hamels. I know it can happen. Just very unlikely, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Will Weeks be back for the postseason? And I like the Brewers a lot. But I just can't see anybody beating Halladay, Lee and Hamels. I know it can happen. Just very unlikely, IMO.

That's what people said about Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels last year too, lol. Gallardo/Greinke/Marcum is not as good, but they can all shut a team down. Braun/Fielder is probably the best 3-4 in the game. The rest of the lineup is lacking a bit, they need Weeks back, although Hart has been on fire. Of course I can't argue that the Phillies are the favorites.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
Brett Lawrie is going to be an absolute stud. As for Montero, he showed insane opposite field power today.

Lawrie has been ridiculous, very impressed. If I were a Brewers fan, I may say "what if" in the future, but Marcum has been great for them and has not only helped them win the division, but they also have a chance to make some noise, this year and next.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
They've already crowned him Jesus 2.0 in Toronto.

Well he is from Canada

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
That's what people said about Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels last year too, lol. Gallardo/Greinke/Marcum is not as good, but they can all shut a team down. Braun/Fielder is probably the best 3-4 in the game. The rest of the lineup is lacking a bit, they need Weeks back, although Hart has been on fire. Of course I can't argue that the Phillies are the favorites.

True. But Oswalt is no Lee. And Hamels has had a career season. And last year's Giants staff went on one of the all-time dominant pitching runs ever. It's comical that Roy Oswalt very well could spend much of his time on the mound out of the bullpen.

Maybe it's just me and my dislike of the Derek Jeter constant blowjob he always receives, but seeing replay after replay of "The Flip" from the '01 ALDS.... Does Giambi look safe to anyone else? It's bang-bang, but he really looks safe to me. It's probably because Giambi stayed up, the ump called him out. There's no doubt in my mind, if he picks up whoever was On-Deck and slides he's safe no matter what Jeter does.

Makes you wonder how that would have changed the course for the A's for the '01 playoffs and beyond because Hudson/Mulder/Zito in their prime, possibly facing Schilling/Johnson in the 2001 World Series would have been EPIC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
BenBadler Ben Badler

Woah RT @jcrasnick Chuck LaMar resigns from #Phillies. I gotta say that's a surprise.

mlbtraderumors MLB Trade Rumors

The Phillies announced that assistant GM of player development and scouting Chuck LaMar has resigned.

Has he been seen shopping for homes on the North Side recently??

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-p...ild_card_090711

Selig has a cure for baseball’s long September

Jeff Passan

Not even Bud Selig, baseball’s biggest booster, can spin this September into something compelling. The division races have dissolved. The jockeying for home field in the playoffs is dull. All of the leftover buzz surrounds individual awards, not team races. It isn’t what the commissioner envisioned six weeks ago as the All-Star break ended.

“I told a friend of mine over the weekend you can’t orchestrate races,” he said. “I thought we’d have great ones. It really shaped up great all summer. And then …”

Poof. Everyone, even the biggest opponents of playoff expansion, was left wondering what this September would look like with the Selig-proposed second wild card. A half-game separating Tampa Bay and Los Angeles in the American League. A tie between San Francisco and St. Louis in the National League. Real, honest-to-goodness races.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig insists he will retire at the end of 2012, lending a sense of urgency to his push for expanded playoffs.

(Getty Images)

Ones that Selig still wants for 2012 despite serious obstacles.

“I hope to have it next year,” Selig told Yahoo! Sports. “It will depend on a whole series of things. The holdup is working out all the details.”

Those details, major league sources said, remain cloudy enough that the chances of expanded playoffs next season are iffy at best.

While collective-bargaining talks continue to progress cordially, little movement has been made on the five-team playoffs because realignment remains unresolved. The resolution of one issue, as ESPN.com reported, runs hand in hand with the other.

One positive step in recent weeks, sources said, is the softening of incoming Houston Astros owner Jim Crane on moving his team to the AL West under a realignment plan that would even out the leagues at 15 teams apiece and allow six five-team divisions. Crane’s reticence – playing three division foes in the Pacific time zone – is allayed by the Texas Rangers’ ability to lock in a huge TV deal in spite of their AL West affiliation as well as the possibility of negotiations offering a more balanced schedule.

Realignment is among the significant issues at the bargaining tables, sources said. Others include:

• MLB’s hard-slotting plan, which would severely restrict draft bonuses and is vehemently opposed by the players’ association.

• The worldwide draft, a logistical nightmare and minuscule possibility in this contract.

• The possibility of HGH blood testing at the major league level, which received a significant boost when minor leaguer Mike Jacobs(notes) tested positive in August.

• The revision of arbitration rules to keep teams from burying top prospects in the minor leagues in order to keep them from reaching arbitration a year early.

• An overhaul of baseball’s free-agent-compensation system, which the richest and smartest teams parlay into an annual draft advantage.

• The union’s push for an adjustment in revenue-sharing and luxury-tax rates to promote greater spending in a free-agent market that needs artificial assistance because of its general inefficiency.

• The second wild card and its possible format.

Hard slotting and the wild card are two of Selig’s pet projects in this negotiation, which he insisted will be his last, as “even though a lot of people don’t believe it, I’m done Dec. 31 of next year,” when his contract is up. The second wild card, Selig said, is endorsed by almost everyone in the game, which makes sense considering playoff appearances stabilize the employment of general managers and managers while giving players an opportunity to earn beaucoup bucks with a great October.

Still, one of baseball’s great features is its (relatively) pure playoff format. Pandora already let one wild card out. The second, Selig said, does at times trouble him: “I agonize over it.”

Pablo Sandoval (left) and Cody Ross celebrate San Francisco's 6-4 win over San Diego on Tuesday. With a second wild card, the Giants would be in the thick of the NL playoff chase.

(AP)

He supports it nonetheless, even as the bargaining room teems with ideas and differences of opinion and questions as to how to format it. A one-game, do-or-die playoff? A three-game series? What’s fair? What’s realistic? What’s right? He doesn’t know, and nobody in the room seems to, either, which, for now, leaves it in limbo and delayed, perhaps, until 2013.

And yet if Selig wants it, and this really is his last CBA, he will get it because it doesn’t fundamentally clash with the union’s philosophy the way slotting does, and commissioners on their way out – like former NFL boss Paul Tagliabue – want to leave on a positive and with one final mark on their legacies. It will cost something. Things of great import always do.

Maybe it’ll save baseball from another September like this. Granted, there are only three weeks left until what could be one of the best Octobers in memory, one filled with great teams, great storylines, great possibilities.

“If everything holds, a great October is shaping up,” Selig said. “I’m not unhappy. Sure, you hope the division races are better. But this has a chance to be historic.”

If only he had a fast-forward button.