2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Old school...

Verlander and Kershaw both lead their leagues in the triple crown categories...ERA, wins, and strikeouts.

Done deal. They are the Cy Young winners.

Before Kershaw pitched last night, Verlander was again leading the entire MLB in the triple crown. Nobody is surpassing Verlander in wins, and likely not in K's, but I have a feeling that the lowest ERA will go to the guy who pitches last in the season. I don't feel like looking at the schedules to figure out who that will be, but I really want Verlander to get the triple crown in all of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Are the Rays in the WC lead if they call him up a month earlier?

It's possible. There were a few shutouts & one-run losses in late June/July where he could have helped get the W.

Of all people, Eduardo Nunez ties it up with a homer in the 8th.

Pulling for the Rays but whoever gave James Shields the "Big Game" moniker should be fined. Lost to Boston last week and on the verge of blowing the game vs Yankees. Giving up a homer to Nunez? Really.

I know he is good but we have to have guys earn nicknames.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
No one chimes in when Kimbrel blows a save in a game the Braves really needed?

Well it was Omar Infante. Those arms in ATL's bullpen are all struggling a bit, definitely wearing down. Braves fans gotta hope it doesn't hurt their arms for the future.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
The Rays are choking worse than Boston could ever have dreamed (nightmare-d?).

Shields did blow the lead, but this chokefest is on the offense. The Yankees pitchers in the first 8 innings were: Hector Noesi, Raul Valdes, George Kontos, Aaron Laffey, Corey Wade, Boone Logan, & Luis Ayala. WTF?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Shields did blow the lead, but this chokefest is on the offense. The Yankees pitchers in the first 8 innings were: Hector Noesi, Raul Valdes, George Kontos, Aaron Laffey, Corey Wade, Boone Logan, & Luis Ayala. WTF?

I'm just saying over the last week. They've had their opportunities, but seem to be dropping them left and right.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
Is this season a failure for them? That's the real question.

I don't know. I'd be very iffy on that. I didn't think they were going to be in a position to challenge for the WC given all that they've lost, but they still have a lot of pieces with skill and have put together a much better run than I expected.

You know who this season is an utter failure for? Boston. Even if they win the WC. Unless they snap together next week and somehow take care of the playoffs. And even if they did that, I think a lot of people would still be disappointed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
I don't know. I'd be very iffy on that. I didn't think they were going to be in a position to challenge for the WC given all that they've lost, but they still have a lot of pieces with skill and have put together a much better run than I expected.

You know who this season is an utter failure for? Boston. Even if they win the WC. Unless they snap together next week and somehow take care of the playoffs. And even if they did that, I think a lot of people would still be disappointed.

Well, if they snap together in the playoffs and win it all or even just get to the World Series, I'd have to say that it was not a disappointing season no matter how the regular season went. I agree otherwise, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
The Rays are choking worse than Boston could ever have dreamed (nightmare-d?).

Sucks that it looks like they're going to come up short. But can you really deem them "chokers?" Weren't they like 9 GB a few weeks ago? They lost Crawford, Pena, Garza and the bulk of their '10 bullpen - and the fact that we're even talking about them and the playoffs in the same sentence at this juncture is astounding. And Longoria missed about 30 games or so earlier in the season. They are officially the model for how to field a competitive team without a mega payroll. Their run is much more impressive than the A's steroid-induced one of the early 2000's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
Sucks that it looks like they're going to come up short. But can you really deem them "chokers?" Weren't they like 9 GB a few weeks ago? They lost Crawford, Pena, Garza and the bulk of their '10 bullpen - and the fact that we're even talking about them and the playoffs in the same sentence at this juncture is astounding. And Longoria missed about 30 games or so earlier in the season. They are officially the model for how to field a competitive team without a mega payroll. Their run is much more impressive than the A's steroid-induced one of the early 2000's.

In the last week, yes. Boston has been doing just about everything to hand it to them, and they can't take it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
In the last week, yes. Boston has been doing just about everything to hand it to them, and they can't take it.

I see it as a case of them running out of steam. No team in history (to my knowledge) has ever overcome a 9-game deficit in September and made the playoffs. I just can't look at a team with a $40 millionish dollar payroll in that division and think anything negative.