2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
It's been pointed out before, but this week (and next, IIRC from seasons past) there is an Extra Innings free preview. This is like a blessing from God when the Sox have an off day or play during the day when I'm at work. Now I can come home to a fine selection of contests instead of nothing.

I just use MLB Network. Tonight they are showing Tigers/Orioles. They always have either a game on or MLB Tonight on which is basically NFL Redzone for MLB.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
From the looks of it, Boston is starting to look like the 2008 Detroit Tigers. All talk on paper, no results on the field (so far). They'll work it out though. That Tigers team was a lot more flawed and less-talented than this Boston one.

Its five games. Seriously the Yankees do this crap almost every year, and they are always there at the end. I don't see Boston being any different.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 07:08 AM)
I am not as confident they will work it out enough to make the playoffs. Once the weather heats up they will start clubbing teams to death but their rotation is very weak after Lester. If the Beckett and Lackey of last year show up again this year they are in a lot of trouble. I never understood spending all that money on Carl Crawford, they should have used that money and spent it on Lee.

I wouldn't call Lackey a weak pitcher, and Buchholz is pretty damn good too. And it's not like they don't have the minor league depth to go out and acquire a pitcher if they need one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
That's not the strongest 14-team league if he's still available, he already got a save like two days ago. Pick him up!

Only 4 of us really follow baseball hardcore. The others are either casual fans, or not even fans at all. It's a group of friends, so some did it just for that reason.

Anyway, I dropped Contreras and picked up Walden.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I wouldn't call Lackey a weak pitcher, and Buchholz is pretty damn good too. And it's not like they don't have the minor league depth to go out and acquire a pitcher if they need one.

WHIP up to 1.419, K/9 down, BB/9 up, history of injury issues......maybe weak was not the right word for it but if I am Boston and I am going to spend 100+million dollars on a player I would have gone after Lee, someone who is a proven pressure performer and can put two guys that are probably on the downside (Lackey and Beckett) a slow down in my rotation.

No doubt they have the prospects to get a deal done, but that is always easier said than done depending on who is going to be on the market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
They usually are the first team hitting during a season. It is July-September in Dallas that does them in.

It won't matter either way. Rest of the division, outside of maybe the A's, is straight garbage.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Derrick Lee looks awful so far.

Agreed, Lee looks horrible and the O's fans have gotten quiet about him pretty quickly. He barely played in spring training, I suspect his wrist is still bothering him.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 06:01 AM)
How glad are you Sox didn't get him instead of Paulie, like what seems a majority of folks here wanted..

See, this is one thing I can't stand about Soxtalk. The people who wanted Lee instead of Konerko were a minority. In fact, it was a very small minority, but it still doesn't stop people from acting like it was everyone on the site.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
See, this is one thing I can't stand about Soxtalk. The people who wanted Lee instead of Konerko were a minority. In fact, it was a very small minority, but it still doesn't stop people from acting like it was everyone on the site.

It was a very small minority. There were quite a few people who weren't opposed to the alternative of having Lee come in, myself included, but most people wanted Konerko back and were happy that he resigned.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Manny Ramirez is retiring after being notified he tested positive for a banned substance during spring training

Well, he just ruined whatever chance he had of getting any postive distinctions post-career. This is pretty unsuprising and i'm incredibly happy that his tenure as a Sox was as short-lived as it was.

Watched the Bosox and Yanks today and Big Bartolo came in and pitched 4 1/3. Even though he got the L he only gave up 2 hits and 2 runs, K'd 5. He threw consistanly 94-93. Surprised that big tub of goo did that well...

Anyone else catch the MLBN broadcast of the NYY vs. Bos game? Specifically the part where Costas destroyed Bonds records as shams? I'm fine with that, I think more mainstream media should do so. He was really harsh on Bonds. The weird part to me was this was all during a discussion of A-Rod possibly making a run at Bonds record. OK, fine, but he really danced around A-Rod and his PED usage. He wasn't nearly as harsh. I wonder if it's because A-Rod "admitted" (although I'm in the camp that he used it more than in Tex, he and his spin doctors determined that was the safest to admit to since it wasn't his young years with Seattle and then his NYY years) to use? It was a really weird juxtaposition in how he handled the two.