2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

I first read this and thought it was cool...then thought "Hey wait, haven't they done nothing other than build a batting cage ball tosser and give it wheels?"

PhillieBot, the one-armed, three-wheeled robot, designed by engineers at the University of Pennsylvania, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Wednesday's game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Milwaukee Brewers.

The spectacle is part of Science Day festivities at Citizens Bank Park, said Evan Lerner, a spokesman for Penn's engineering school.

The pitching robot has been in the makings for a month and a half as Penn engineers Jordan Brindza and Jamie Gewirtz assembled parts and wrote software in their spare time, Lerner said.

They started with a Segway, gave it a robotic arm and added a third wheel. They also gave it a pneumatic cylinder, which delivers a burst of compressed carbon dioxide to power the pitch. The robot's computer brain can be tweaked to change pitch velocity and trajectory.

On Monday, Brindza and Gewirtz took PhillieBot out to the mound for its final test, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. After the press of a button, the robot's mechanical arm reared back and then moved toward home plate; at the top of its delivery, it flicked its mechanical "wrist" and shot the ball forward.

The ball appeared to be traveling no more than 30 or 40 miles an hour, the Inquirer reported. But that was by design, since the Phillies didn't want the pitch approaching Major League speeds.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon Wood has been DFA'd. End of an era. A horrible, sad era.

Of course that's assuming the former #3 prospect in all of baseball doesn't clear waivers which I wouldn't count on. I hope for his sake that he's claimed or traded, an outright release would be pretty brutal.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 05:53 AM)
No s***. The Player's Association should be able to sanction managers like that. Their pitching substitutions should be handled by a court-appointed guardian.

Reds pitchers already look gassed as compared to last season. That was quite predictable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 06:58 AM)
Reds pitchers already look gassed as compared to last season. That was quite predictable.

If you were a Reds fan, would you have traded last season's Central win for the possibility of better pitching this year?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)

Of course that's assuming the former #3 prospect in all of baseball doesn't clear waivers which I wouldn't count on. I hope for his sake that he's claimed or traded, an outright release would be pretty brutal.

Which is why I am not certain the Royals are the lock they are portrayed to be

I have to imagine someone out there taking a chance and claiming him, right?

Maybe Coop can fix him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
If you were a Reds fan, would you have traded last season's Central win for the possibility of better pitching this year?

Obviously not, but it goes to show you that if you have a "dream season", which I believe they did after all their ridiculous comebacks, you better capitalize in the postseason and go far. Also, I thought it was foolish of them to go into this year with basically the same exact team they had last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Obviously not, but it goes to show you that if you have a "dream season", which I believe they did after all their ridiculous comebacks, you better capitalize in the postseason and go far. Also, I thought it was foolish of them to go into this year with basically the same exact team they had last year.

Especially with how young that team is, I don't think that's foolish at all. They have the luxury of playing for time and pretty much expecting to get better, not worse. And even if they struggle this year, with Wainright out, the NL Central is totally winnable for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Especially with how young that team is, I don't think that's foolish at all. They have the luxury of playing for time and pretty much expecting to get better, not worse. And even if they struggle this year, with Wainright out, the NL Central is totally winnable for them.

Like I said, I felt they overachieved last year. Everyone was concerned about the innings Leake and Wood threw, and they probably would have been wise to invest in a set-up man instead of Masset.

I blame this on Greg Walker.

Following Tuesday night's 9-0 loss to the Brewers, a game in which Philadelphia managed only two hits, the Phillies had not scored more than four runs in a game in 10 days and in their last 28 innings had mustered just one extra-base hit. I watched the game with ESPN analyst and 1984 Cy Young winner Rick Sutcliffe, who said about the Phillies, "Offensively, this team is a lot less than what they were in a lot of ways." What's changed is the offense and, in turn, the Phillies' identity.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
Which is why I am not certain the Royals are the lock they are portrayed to be

I can confidently say that atleast one of these big time Royals' prospects won't make it. In fact, 3-5 of them probably won't end up being much more than a bench player. But when their 15th and 20th rated prospects are as good as several teams 2-5 prospects, it gets really scary. There would have to be a ton of them that fail - like 75% - for them to not become a contender.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)

I remember the Phillies doing that for a few stretches last year too. That offense just goes cold at times. This year, it's a bit more understandable, considering they've been relying upon Wilson Valdez to man 2B for them and Ben Francisco is playing RF for them and hitting 5th. They miss Utley and they miss Werth.