2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
I was hit by a line drive foul ball when I was ten and a fat woman took it from me.

the closest i ever got was my very first game ever, sitting upper deck at old Comiskey and a guy in his 20s reached over and knocked my dad aside to catch the ball that was headed right into my lap. I was only 8, that bastard.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Wow. What a vile piece of s***. Hopefully he catches a bad case of scurvy and gets banned from the game.

McDowell is definitely in the wrong. But I would like to know what that guy said to incite him. I'd have to imagine it was a lot more than a typical 'you suck' or whatever.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I was hit by a line drive foul ball when I was ten and a fat woman took it from me.

Fat people :chair

The closest I ever came was back in 2000. I was in the first row in right-center field. Two outs and the Sox were down a few. Harold Baines (who was just recently acquired) comes in to pinch hit. He hits what looks to be a grand slam and it's coming directly at me.

The ball was caught right against the wall on the track. That is the closest I've ever been, and I didn't even have a legitimate shot of catching it since it was obviously still in play. The next closest play was probably 5 or more rows away, and usually in the next section.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
does it really matter?

Is McDowell held to a different standard because he's a coach? What if this guy said something just as insulting/vulgar to him initially? That's all I'm saying. McDowell is wrong and I'm sure he'll be disciplined by major league baseball and the Braves. But I'd like to hear both sides. I'm not going to automatically assume this was a nice guy who took his kids to the park and a pitching coach out of nowhere went verbally apes***.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Is McDowell held to a different standard because he's a coach? What if this guy said something just as insulting/vulgar to him initially? That's all I'm saying. McDowell is wrong and I'm sure he'll be disciplined by major league baseball and the Braves. But I'd like to hear both sides. I'm not going to automatically assume this was a nice guy who took his kids to the park and a pitching coach out of nowhere went verbally apes***.

He went apes*** on the guys next to the nice guys family.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
Fat people :chair

The closest I ever came was back in 2000. I was in the first row in right-center field. Two outs and the Sox were down a few. Harold Baines (who was just recently acquired) comes in to pinch hit. He hits what looks to be a grand slam and it's coming directly at me.

The ball was caught right against the wall on the track. That is the closest I've ever been, and I didn't even have a legitimate shot of catching it since it was obviously still in play. The next closest play was probably 5 or more rows away, and usually in the next section.

Oooh it's story night.

In 2000, Torii Hunter hit a home run that landed in a dude's lap who was quite literally in front of me.

In 2004, Torii Hunter hit a foul ball that hit my brother in the shoulder. He was naturally distraught and everyone in our section made note to see how he was; meanwhile, I saw the ball land in an empty seat next to me, and I grabbed it. THEN I made sure my brother was alright. I'm pretty sure Hunter signed that ball.

Pretty sure Torii Hunter is trying to kill me.

I've had two chances to catch a foul ball in my life:

1. Paul Konerko foul ball in 04 that I actually snagged, pretty cool, still have it sitting in my room.

2. Two years ago, day game in the beginning of June. Pop up literally right to me but directly in the sun, of course I have no sunglasses on so I can't see a damn thing. My buddy jumps out of the way, I just stand there with my hand up hoping for a miracle. The ball hits me directly in the thumb and bounces away as the crowd at the Cell boos the hell out of me. Not cool.

On Opening Day 2009, I got to my seat out in Left Field and there was a ball just hanging out under it. It was a very cool way to start the season. I still have that ball and my ticket stub in a case on my desk.

Last season, I got the ball from this JJ Hardy home run hit off of Freddy Garcia on August 10th. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10818141

There was a little kid in front of me who bailed when he saw the ball coming at him. It landed right under his seat and I grabbed it. I felt like he'd a appreciate it more than I could. Plus, he was wearing a WrestleMania shirt and his Dad was a really nice guy.

homerunkid.jpg

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

Whoever was 1B for Seattle tossed a PK groundout that ended the inning to my lil bro in '05. Nice to have a momento from what turned out to be a solid year.

I never understood why people act like frenzied animals whenever a baseball falls anywhere near them. It's kind of amusing and sad at the same time.

If I can make a play on it without diving, pushing, elbowing, crawling, then cool- and I'll probably just flip it to some kid nearby anyway.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
Whoever was 1B for Seattle tossed a PK groundout that ended the inning to my lil bro in '05. Nice to have a momento from what turned out to be a solid year.

I never understood why people act like frenzied animals whenever a baseball falls anywhere near them. It's kind of amusing and sad at the same time.

If I can make a play on it without diving, pushing, elbowing, crawling, then cool- and I'll probably just flip it to some kid nearby anyway.

Richie Sexson?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
This.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one. And I've been to a ton of games in my life.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Jose Valentin hit a ball literally into my seat once when I went a concession stand. My friend just leaned over and picked it up.

Foul or homer?