2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
I still think the Phils are better, just because that pitching staff gives them a good chance to win everyday. That offense doesn't need to be anything more than average with the starters they have.

My worries about the Phils are all about age/health. Even with that rotation, the guys regularly give a lot of innings, but all of them but Hamels are old. Lee and Oswalt both have, to me, started showing signs of wear and tear, and Halladay's just as old.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
My worries about the Phils are all about age/health. Even with that rotation, the guys regularly give a lot of innings, but all of them but Hamels are old. Lee and Oswalt both have, to me, started showing signs of wear and tear, and Halladay's just as old.

Oswalt was pretty phenomenal overall last year, and he's shown some signs of slowing down for years yet never has. I think he's as good a bet as any to remain very solid.

You've also mentioned that Cliff Lee looks like he's slowing down, but again, I haven't seen anything to even remotely resemble that. He increased his strikeout rate, decreased his walk rate, allowed fewer hits (which is independent of his pitching), and his HR/9 was relatively unaffected by his previous season. Fact of the matter is that during his run in Texas, his strand rate was 62.6%, which is completely out of the norm for him and is something that he has relatively no effect on whatsoever (for his career, including his crappy, early years in Cleveland, it's 71.8%; it was 78.3% in 2008, 76.2% in 2009, and 73.6% while he was in Seattle). Due to that increased number, he allowed about 10-12 more runs than he typically would have. Hypothetically speaking, that leaves his ERA in the 2.98-3.15 range.

Their rotation is going to be stellar, barring injury, this year and probably the following year as well.

You said "Barring injury"...but that's sorta the whole point. I don't know that I'd say any of them are "Slowing Down" (Although Lee really wasn't the Lee of 2008-2009 for the first month or two after arriving in Texas)...I'd be much more worried with that team about injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)

You also have to consider the millage on their arms. Lee just got to 7 full years of service time this past season. Halladay has had few arm related issues and he does have pretty good mechanics. The only time he got really hurt was when he got hit by a line drive on the knee. I thought Oswalt was on the decline two years ago, but he proved me wrong last season. I think age is not a huge issue with this team right now. It could be an issue after this year, when Halladay and Oswalt close in on 35, but I think they're relatively safe this year outside of accidental or freak injuries.

We don't generally start whole new threads for a marginal player who was on the Sox years ago signing a new deal somewhere. You can just post this sort of thing in the catch-all, or since he hasn't been a Sox in a while, put it in the Diamond Club MLB catch-all (which I will do for you in this case).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Brandon McCarthy named the A's #4 starter.

Good for him, was always a big fan. I was not a happy camper when he was traded away. (Obviously, Danks has changed my opinion of the deal)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
And Alexi Ogando will take Tommy Hunter's place in the rotation while he's on the DL.

Nice. I had no idea Ogando was even being stretched out to be a starter, figured he had the 8th inning job (or the 9th if Feliz had become a starter.) He can pitch, think he can be almost just as good as Feliz.