2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
Tons of other teams missed on him. I have no beef with the Sox not having him, as they've taken a chance on someone with a similar pedigree in Trayce Thompson. It's the pathetic picks like Phegley and MAC closers that really piss me off.

I wasn't talking specifically about Stanton. Just the short-bus notion that draft position is this mythical roadblock to finding premium talent in a 50-round draft.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Nice to see Lee hit two homers for Pitt tonight.

Some teams actually try to add offense and aren't afraid at offending their current lousy hitter.

Yeah, well, the Pirates didn't owe their 1B $36 million, nor their DH (because they don't have a DH) $56 million. They were able to simply let him go.

Williams made room on the roster for Alejandro De Aza, who is capable of playing CF and has played well in the minors. He also made it pretty clear that he wanted De Aza playing quite a bit. Maybe Ozzie should get him in the lineup a little more often instead of going back to the same s***ty well in Rios.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
Yeah, well, the Pirates didn't owe their 1B $36 million, nor their DH (because they don't have a DH) $56 million. They were able to simply let him go.

Williams made room on the roster for Alejandro De Aza, who is capable of playing CF and has played well in the minors. He also made it pretty clear that he wanted De Aza playing quite a bit. Maybe Ozzie should get him in the lineup a little more often instead of going back to the same s***ty well in Rios.

:headbang

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)

:notworthy

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/orio..._medium=twitter

Orioles Release Justin Duchscherer

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 2, 2011 at 1:01pm CST]

The Orioles have released Justin Duchscherer, who never appeared in a game for Baltimore, MLBTR has confirmed. The Orioles have since announced the move with a press release.

The 33-year-old right-hander spent the entire season on the disabled list with a strained left hip after signing a one-year deal in February that paid him $700K plus incentives. He made five starts for the 2010 A's, posting a 2.89 ERA with 5.8 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 28 innings, but didn't pitch at all in 2009. The two-time All-Star has a 3.13 ERA with 6.9 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 454 2/3 career innings.

Duchscherer will have hip surgery Thursday and intends to continue his career, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Bats in the Cardinals/Brewers game are already exciting. 2 HR for the Brewers off of Jackson, 3 run HR for Furcal.

They had an exciting back and forth game last night as well. The Pirates 5-game losing streak has probably made it a two-team race.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Well, that Pirates thing was fun while it lasted. Not that anybody expected it to last very long. I hope they at least break the below .500 streak this year.

It would be awesome, but I don't see it happening. Their ERA was ridiculously low for what their talent and FIP said, and they are under .500 now already. Disappointing cause that park seems so nice.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
Well, that Pirates thing was fun while it lasted. Not that anybody expected it to last very long. I hope they at least break the below .500 streak this year.

.500 should be the first goal. I don't think people were buying them for the Central, yet anyway, but getting to .500 would be a nice feather in the cap.