2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
The Jays are definitely a team I'm going to follow from here on out.

Great farm system and some great young talent. I enjoy watching the Jays play, but the dome brings me down. AA is quickly becoming one of my favorite GMs as well.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Great farm system and some great young talent. I enjoy watching the Jays play, but the dome brings me down. AA is quickly becoming one of my favorite GMs as well.

Yeah, it's the same thing with the Rays. Really exciting team. But you have to have a really good attention span to watch either team when they're playing at home.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Yonder Alonso just showing his defensive deficiencies against the Cubs horribly misplaying a single/double into an inside the park homerun. Dude needs a team with an open 1B spot.

Tony Campana = very, very, very fast

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Indeed. But Alonso didn't help himself by overrunning the ball, bumping into the wall, and almost falling over as the ball rolled behind him.

It sounds like he took fielding tips from Soriano during pre-game warmups.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 03:57 AM)
http://www.purplerow.com/2011/8/3/2341147/...o-jimenez-trade

Very good analysis of Jimenez trade and why it doesn't make any sense for the Rockies....J4L, do you agree with him?

Good piece. This guy is obviously a Rockies fan. Therefore he's a lot more emotionally 'invested' in this transaction than somebody like me. I'm a prospect whore. This is no revelation. There's always going to be a certain level of risk when trading proven talent, which Ubaldo is, over potential (the package the Rockies received). I'm not a Rockies fan. I don't follow that organization day-in, day-out. Dan O'Dowd is obviously not satisfied with his club's performance this year. He also obviously believed the best way to enhance the long-term future of the team was to "sell-high" on their top asset (who's velocity is down considerably from a year ago). As far as the financial aspect? Yeah, I can totally understand that. Like the guy said, this wasn't a case of clearing a big salary for prospects. Ubaldo's contract is extremely team-friendly for quite a while. That's the biggest risk to me. Not so much trading Ubaldo. But Ubaldo AND his current contract status. It's going to take a couple years, at least, before one can legitimately determine who won/lost this trade.

The cream has really risen to the top in the NL. Only six teams over .500 out of 16, and that's with a pretty close interleague this season.

8 out of 14 AL teams are over .500, but the Rays and Jays have no chance of making the playoffs.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies are locks for postseason, so right now only 9 teams are going for 5 spots.

18 teams are kind of out of it with about 50 games left.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
The cream has really risen to the top in the NL. Only six teams over .500 out of 16, and that's with a pretty close interleague this season.

8 out of 14 AL teams are over .500, but the Rays and Jays have no chance of making the playoffs.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies are locks for postseason, so right now only 9 teams are going for 5 spots.

18 teams are kind of out of it with about 50 games left.

The Pirates sure didn't help themselves by losing 10 straight. Sucks for the fans in Pittsburgh. At least they have a good football team to look forward to.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
The Pirates sure didn't help themselves by losing 10 straight. Sucks for the fans in Pittsburgh. At least they have a good football team to look forward to.

Pittsburgh screwed up taking the half-assed way out at the trading deadline. They had better hope that these kids do gel, or they are going to be looking back at 2011 the way we look back at 1994.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Pittsburgh screwed up taking the half-assed way out at the trading deadline. They had better hope that these kids do gel, or they are going to be looking back at 2011 the way we look back at 1994.

You really think that there was anything the Pirates could have done that would have made them competitive with the Phillies/Giants/Braves, or hell, even the Brewers now that they're pushing away?