2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
It's amazing that the Dodgers could get the MVP and CY and finish in 4th.

Goes to show you that baseball isn't a 'team' sport in the same manner that basketball and football is. It's a very individual-centric game wrapped up in a team concept.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
I'm insulting the White Sox ability to produce prospects, and I'm making excuses? You're at the forefront of that movement haha. Make up your mind here....

I misunderstood your initial post. But we can't forfeit the draft/prospects for eternity because we fail to develop from within.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Goes to show you that baseball isn't a 'team' sport in the same manner that basketball and football is. It's a very individual-centric game wrapped up in a team concept.

It really is. It's a collection of individual achievements and failures and they use it to play a game. There are very few instances of teamwork in the typical sense, and those are generally fielding.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
Via Rotoworld:

"In an effort to avoid Hurricane Irene, Sunday's game has been moved to 1:05 p.m. ET on Saturday.

For those keeping score, that means the Marlins will have three doubleheaders in the span of six days."

Only a few hundred people will notice

Clearly the problem with the Dodgers is their legendary television announcer. I mean sure the guy embodies all that is great about the game of baseball and is arguably the best ever at his craft and is still incredible at his job but NO ONE in the Dodgers' organization is beyond reproach, dammit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Clearly the problem with the Dodgers is their legendary television announcer.

I must say, having had mlb.tv for the bulk of the season (and in the past), Vin Scully is awful. I don't need to hear some random obscure story about Rafael Furcal's neighbor's cat that died in 1972 or whatever bulls*** he comes up with on anightly basis. I would never listen to the Dodgers announcers.

On Tuesday, I flipped on the Rangers/Red Sox game because the Sox were on late and I thought "hmmm, here's a playoff preview".

Adrian Gonzalez came up to the plate. They showed his stats, he was hitting right around .333, but only had 18 home runs. I thought to myself..."man, this guy hit 40 in Petco, he's got the average up there now but the power has really gone away."

Somehow, I think he heard my brain think that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
On Tuesday, I flipped on the Rangers/Red Sox game because the Sox were on late and I thought "hmmm, here's a playoff preview".

Adrian Gonzalez came up to the plate. They showed his stats, he was hitting right around .333, but only had 18 home runs. I thought to myself..."man, this guy hit 40 in Petco, he's got the average up there now but the power has really gone away."

Somehow, I think he heard my brain think that.

Maybe your brain should have thought similar thoughts about Adam Dunn back in May or June.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Maybe your brain should have thought similar thoughts about Adam Dunn back in May or June.

I'm pretty sure I did. Most of them were posted here. I think my reaction to Dunn actually homering in Anaheim in May was "oh, so that's what that looks like."

I think Dunn just doesn't get as angry at my brain.