2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J4L, you're so annoying with young players. It's like any mildly to incredibly hyped rookie has to be pissed on by you to claim your territory. We all know about these guys, projecting them as the next coming of christ and freaking out about them to ridiculous levels just makes you look silly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
J4L, you're so annoying with young players. It's like any mildly to incredibly hyped rookie has to be pissed on by you to claim your territory. We all know about these guys, projecting them as the next coming of christ and freaking out about them to ridiculous levels just makes you look silly.

Do I really need to post Strasburg's peripherals from last year? The guy was virtually unhittable from day one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Do I really need to post Strasburg's peripherals from last year? The guy was virtually unhittable from day one.

99.5% of prospects, steve is right and J4L goes nuts whether it's appropriate or not.

The healthy Stras from last year...it's entirely deserved.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)

No. Of course not. But adding the caveat "if he stays healthy" at this point is nuts. We all know Strasburg has elite, oh my f***ing god talent, yet he also predictably went down almost immediately after entering the bigs.

Do you want to see Mark Prior's awesome peripherals from 2003? Those matter about as much as Strasburg's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Yeah, he's been out all year just about. I was just saying that he didn't have to compromise his stuff after TJ. Which is what SS2K5 was alluding to. He just got hurt again.

I missed that point. I thought he was just referring to Strasburg's ability to stay healthy every year. That's why I was confused you brought up Johnson, since he made it through two full seasons, then got hurt again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
No. Of course not. But adding the caveat "if he stays healthy" at this point is nuts. We all know Strasburg has elite, oh my f***ing god talent, yet he also predictably went down almost immediately after entering the bigs.

Do you want to see Mark Prior's awesome peripherals from 2003? Those matter about as much as Strasburg's.

I see. So you've already come to the foregone conclusion that Strasburg will never be healthy again. And if I don't come to the same or similar conclusion, I'm on crystal meth. Gotcha.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
I see. So you've already come to the foregone conclusion that Strasburg will never be healthy again. And if I don't come to the same or similar conclusion, I'm on crystal meth. Gotcha.

No, I haven't come to that conclusion. See: my fantasy keeper team.

Making statements like "he's going to win the next 4 Cy Young Awards" in this era is silly. Starters, without "help", seem to be nearly impossible to predict. Plus as a past caller to our show pointed out, Clayton Kershaw is the f***ing man!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
No, I haven't come to that conclusion. See: my fantasy keeper team.

Making statements like "he's going to win the next 4 Cy Young Awards" in this era is silly. Starters, without "help", seem to be nearly impossible to predict. Plus as a past caller to our show pointed out, Clayton Kershaw is the f***ing man!

It's happened before. And guys that should've won didn't because of the past belief that pitcher wins were indicative of how good a season a pitcher had. Those days are over. Strasburg is a saber dream come true. And that's the direction the game is going in. Felix Hernandez doesn't win the CY 10-15 years ago.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
It's happened before. And guys that should've won didn't because of the past belief that pitcher wins were indicative of how good a season a pitcher had. Those days are over. Strasburg is a saber dream come true. And that's the direction the game is going in. Felix Hernandez doesn't win the CY 10-15 years ago.

Using Maddux, who is the picture of health and a perfect stressfree delivery, is a terrible example of why Straus can win it many times over. The injuries are going to be his hang up. We saw what multiple major injuries do to guys with once in a generation stuff. No one could touch Liriano's slider back in the day, to the point where all we heard was "Where is our Liriano?" Guess what, you can have him cheap because his arm fell off. Strausburg puts the same stresses on his arm that Liriano did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Using Maddux, who is the picture of health and a perfect stressfree delivery, is a terrible example of why Straus can win it many times over. The injuries are going to be his hang up. We saw what multiple major injuries do to guys with once in a generation stuff. No one could touch Liriano's slider back in the day, to the point where all we heard was "Where is our Liriano?" Guess what, you can have him cheap because his arm fell off. Strausburg puts the same stresses on his arm that Liriano did.

Now really though, not just becuase of the LHP/RHP part...are Liriano's and Stras's arm slots anything alike? I feel like Sale is much closer in arm slot to 2006 Liriano than Stras.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)

Well, he only stuck around for 64 days(12 starts). Pretty much everyone predicted his elbow would blow up(it did). And in his last couple starts before he went down, he was getting hit.

I totally agree with SS2K5, Strasburg is going to have to compromise something in his repertoire of pitches if he wants to stay in the bigs, and that could lead him to being a mere mortal on the mound with occassional flashes of brilliance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Now really though, not just becuase of the LHP/RHP part...are Liriano's and Stras's arm slots anything alike? I feel like Sale is much closer in arm slot to 2006 Liriano than Stras.

Arm slot isn't the issue. Its the stress on the elbow as it snaps violently after the slider.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I remember when people were pissed Kenny didn't sign him at 14 million a year or whatever...

Maybe he should have traded most of the team when the market would be higher.

I had no idea how many bad contracts the Giants have. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/gian...assignment.html