Schaumburg Flyers evicted from Alexian Field

HuskyCaucasian

DailyHerald.com -

The Schaumburg Flyers were evicted Thursday from their long-held lease at Alexian Field, but may have until March 6 to be sold to a new owner before they have to pack their bags and move out.

A judge issued a court order that returns the Flyers’ lease to the village of Schaumburg and Schaumburg Park District, which co-own the stadium. The order also requires the team’s ownership to pay $551,828.92 in overdue rent.

The village and park district sued the team earlier this offseason for more than $920,000 in overdue rent and other payments, though Thursday’s court order only acknowledges the rent up to a particular date.

The two governments repossession of the lease allows them to begin negotiations with other parties interested in establishing a team at Alexian Field.

Joliet City Manager Tom Thanas recently told the Daily Herald that Schaumburg is probably right to be confident about its ability to quickly find another team at Alexian Field. Finding a replacement for the bankrupt Joliet Jackhammers at Silver Cross Field was the easiest part of the city’s long saga with the financially struggling team, he said.

But Flyers’ ownership is continuing to work toward the sale of the team, which remains the best option for all concerned, Schaumburg Village Manager Ken Fritz said.

“Until we make a commitment to someone, it’s still an open door,” he said.

The tight time frame to get an entirely new team established and in a league before this summer would be challenging but not impossible, Fritz said.

It’s not likely that a new team would take the Flyers’ place in the North American League, though, because that league remains in discussions with the potential buyers of the Flyers, Fritz added.

Rich Ehrenreich, the original owner of the 12-year-old Flyers, has been trying to sell the team since announcing in 2009 that he was partnering with actor Kevin Costner to start up the Zion-based Lake County Fielders.

A Flyers spokesman Thursday said the sale of the team should be completed within days.

I would LOVE to see a Sox minor league affiliate here, but I know that wont happen.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
DailyHerald.com -

I would LOVE to see a Sox minor league affiliate here, but I know that wont happen.

This is something that I've always wondered about... why won't MLB teams have their minor league teams close by? Can you imagine how cool it would be to have the Sox Minor league teams play locally? I thought about going to a Kane County Cougars game last year when the Sox were out of town and I was jonesing for some baseball. I thought it might have been boring though. Now imagine the Sox AAA team playing there instead of the Cougars. I'm pretty sure I'd be a season ticket holder. I would love to see the young up and comers in the Sox organization play.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
This is something that I've always wondered about... why won't MLB teams have their minor league teams close by? Can you imagine how cool it would be to have the Sox Minor league teams play locally? I thought about going to a Kane County Cougars game last year when the Sox were out of town and I was jonesing for some baseball. I thought it might have been boring though. Now imagine the Sox AAA team playing there instead of the Cougars. I'm pretty sure I'd be a season ticket holder. I would love to see the young up and comers in the Sox organization play.

Lots of mlb teams have close by minor league teams. Here in Washington for example, the Mariners have the Everett AquaSox (short season rookie) and the Tacoma Rainers (AAA). The same can be said for a lot of other teams. It's unfortunate that for Chicago White Sox fans, their minor league teams aren't close by, though that wasn't always the case. Not too many years ago, they had the team up in Appleton, WI and they've had a team even more near in South Bend. Back in the 70's the Sox' AAA team was in Iowa and in the early 60's it was in Indianapolis. It would make too much sense to have their minor league teams near by. :huh

The Cubs had the Joliet Jackhammers recently. I think a lot of it has to do with timing. These minor league teams go under, and a major league team has to be ready to occupy the space pretty quick

The Sox actually concentrated their teams all very close together so it is easy to move players around in their system, and it is cheaper from a scouting and training perspective.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
^^Maybe that's why. Having a AAA affiliate right near by at 1/4 of the cost of the MLB club might really drag down your ticket sales. It's not like the Sox are selling out every game anyway.

Can't speak for everyone in my area but I'm about 10 minutes from Alexian and I would go to a s***load of games if the Sox put an affiliate in there. I think a lot of Sox fans in the area would. Especially since getting to The Cell is kind of a b**** from around here.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Can't speak for everyone in my area but I'm about 10 minutes from Alexian and I would go to a s***load of games if the Sox put an affiliate in there. I think a lot of Sox fans in the area would. Especially since getting to The Cell is kind of a b**** from around here.

Which brings up the point StrangeSox brought up earlier.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Which brings up the point StrangeSox brought up earlier.

I dont think anyone is going to substitute going to wsox games with minor league games, its going to be the people that dont go to wsox games in first place but are fans that will be a big draw.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)

You could also look at it from a marketing/promo perspective. Having a minor league in the area would give you another local outlet to market your big league club. Cheap ticket prices encourages families to attend, building interest in the team/players at an early age. I see your point, but if the Sox are contending year in and year out, I don't see much of a threat. The Blackhawks survived the lean years when the Wolves were winning championships. Winning draws. Period.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
I dont think anyone is going to substitute going to wsox games with minor league games, its going to be the people that dont go to wsox games in first place but are fans that will be a big draw.

Think of a family of four. How much to go to a Sox game? $100-200? How much for the minor league Sox affiliate that the 10 yo's will still get excited to see, and maybe the big Sox fan parents can get into watching the up-and-comers?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Think of a family of four. How much to go to a Sox game? $100-200? How much for the minor league Sox affiliate that the 10 yo's will still get excited to see, and maybe the big Sox fan parents can get into watching the up-and-comers?

And if you live in the NW burbs, think of the gas money you save, and your kids only have to sit in a car for 10-20 minutes, as opposed to two hours.

I have gone to a ton of games in Gary and South Bend over the years. For me it hasn't made a difference that they had nothing to do with the Sox. The cost is the big reason for going to those games for me. Plus the facilities and intimacy of the game at these levels.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
I have gone to a ton of games in Gary and South Bend over the years. For me it hasn't made a difference that they had nothing to do with the Sox. The cost is the big reason for going to those games for me. Plus the facilities and intimacy of the game at these levels.

Ive driven past that Gary Railcats (I think that's the team) countless times and was always intrigued by it, is it actually a nice place to watch a game?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Ive driven past that Gary Railcats (I think that's the team) countless times and was always intrigued by it, is it actually a nice place to watch a game?

It is a great place to see a game. It has a nice layout, great parking, and is very kid friendly.

^ this.

I worked w/ the Kane County Cougars for awhile and was told there would never be another affiliated team in the chicagoland area. The sox/cubs (Most likely just the sox) said they would pull their teams out of the respective leagues if that happened.

The sox would absolutely lose alot of their family sales if that happened. That would happen now too if Geneva wasn't practically in Iowa.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
You could also look at it from a marketing/promo perspective. Having a minor league in the area would give you another local outlet to market your big league club. Cheap ticket prices encourages families to attend, building interest in the team/players at an early age. I see your point, but if the Sox are contending year in and year out, I don't see much of a threat. The Blackhawks survived the lean years when the Wolves were winning championships. Winning draws. Period.

This is actually the reason why they'd want them NOT in the Chicago area. Think of if this way... in the Chicago Metro, you aren't going to create a much larger fan base for the Sox with a minor league team. But in Charlotte, B-Ham, Winston-Salem, etc., where there is no major league team, you have a chance to market to an unaffiliated crowd and grow new Sox fans. They watch TV (ad rev), listen to radio, buy Sox gear, come to Chicago to see games, etc. Basically, you get more bang for your buck out of town, than in it.

The real reason to have the team nearby, IMO, is just for ease of travel. Having your AAA team nearby would be helpful in that regard, calling up players last-minute. But really, flights from Charlotte are plenty and short, so its not a big deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
This is actually the reason why they'd want them NOT in the Chicago area. Think of if this way... in the Chicago Metro, you aren't going to create a much larger fan base for the Sox with a minor league team. But in Charlotte, B-Ham, Winston-Salem, etc., where there is no major league team, you have a chance to market to an unaffiliated crowd and grow new Sox fans. They watch TV (ad rev), listen to radio, buy Sox gear, come to Chicago to see games, etc. Basically, you get more bang for your buck out of town, than in it.

The real reason to have the team nearby, IMO, is just for ease of travel. Having your AAA team nearby would be helpful in that regard, calling up players last-minute. But really, flights from Charlotte are plenty and short, so its not a big deal.

That's a good point, as I hadn't thought of it in that context at all. You could go see the cheaper White Sox instead.

Thats the same family of four that isnt going to a Wsox game anyways, if they used that reasoning that family would already go to Flyers/Kane County games instead.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
Thats the same family of four that isnt going to a Wsox game anyways, if they used that reasoning that family would already go to Flyers/Kane County games instead.

I don't think that holds true at all. There's a big difference between watching your teams' minor-league affiliates, especially if it's AAA level, and watching the Flyers.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I think having a minor league team closer would be a good thing. How many bus loads of people show up at Wrigley Field every year from Iowa because they are fans of the Iowa Cubs?

Iowa isn't exactly close enough to draw fans away from going to the Cubs like a suburban AAA affiliate would be.