Schaumburg Flyers evicted from Alexian Field

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I don't think that holds true at all. There's a big difference between watching your teams' minor-league affiliates, especially if it's AAA level, and watching the Flyers.

Maybe true to us, but the common fan prob not... especially if they are under a different logo.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Iowa isn't exactly close enough to draw fans away from going to the Cubs like a suburban AAA affiliate would be.

That really makes it the perfect distance away then. Close enough to become a fan of the regular team and make a few road trips to Chicago throughout the year but not so close as to draw fans away from watching the MLB team.

We had a Cubs affiliate in Rockford at one time in the late 90’s too. The Rockford Cubbies. Puke. Now we have a team from an independent league.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Can't speak for everyone in my area but I'm about 10 minutes from Alexian and I would go to a s***load of games if the Sox put an affiliate in there. I think a lot of Sox fans in the area would. Especially since getting to The Cell is kind of a b**** from around here.

I too am a short drive from the cell, and I would as well.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
The sox would absolutely lose alot of their family sales if that happened. That would happen now too if Geneva wasn't practically in Iowa.

hey now, its not that far away. i can make it from Geneva to Naperville in 25 mins on I88. normally it takes me 1hr 15mins to make it to the cell.

By the way, heard a story about the Flyers. Apparently they were dicking over the local hotels when visiting teams came to play. Apparently they'd call a hotel and say that they needed 15 or so rooms for 3 nights. (apparently in the independent league, the home team is responsible for accomodiations) So the hotel would be thrilled by the volume, book the rooms and put the Flyers on "terms". Well the Flyers would never pay the bill. They would then keep moving the away team to different hotels in the area who didn't know that the Flyers dont pay on-time, or at all. Towards the end of 2010, the Flyers were booking teams about 20 miles away in Arlington Heights, since they had screwed everyone over in the Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Roselle, Itasca, Medinah areas.