2011 Oscars Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Well, that went about exactly as I thought it would. No surprises in the major awards, and I'm glad they made the right choice for Best Picture instead of a more "popular" choice like Inception.

Yeah, I don't think anyone out there thought Inception stood a chance for Best Picture. Everything I read leading up pretty much had "The King's Speech" as the runaway favorite.

I was personally rooting for "Black Swan" or "127 Hours", as they were films that really took me to a place few have before, but "The King's Speech" was a fine choice in an absolutely epic year for film.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Yeah, I don't think anyone out there thought Inception stood a chance for Best Picture. Everything I read leading up pretty much had "The King's Speech" as the runaway favorite.

I was personally rooting for "Black Swan" or "127 Hours", as they were films that really took me to a place few have before, but "The King's Speech" was a fine choice in an absolutely epic year for film.

You are right about it being a great year for movies. I wanted The King's Speech to win, but I could see it going to almost any of the nominees.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
it also just happened to be an incredible film.

Twas, but I just didn't think it was Best Pic worthy.

Awful Oscar show last night all around. Even I got tired of watching and posting about it.

I liked Inception, but admittedly the only other nominee I saw was True Grit.

When I think about Best Picture, I add into the category "uniqueness". The reason I never saw the King's Speech is because Ive already seen so many historical period pieces (especially about World War II) that I just would rather actually see the real history. Im sure that it was a very moving tale about a Monarch who had a speech impediment, but if you are going to get me to pay money at the theater to watch another WWII film, I better see at least 1 action sequence, otherwise Ill just go read about it on the internet.

As soon as its available Ill catch it on Netflix, but in my opinion the only movie that I felt I needed to see in the theaters this year was Inception. Hate it or love it, at least it brought something different to the table.

Overall I thought movies this year were meh, which would be evidenced by my lack of movie going.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)

When I think about Best Picture, I add into the category "uniqueness". The reason I never saw the King's Speech is because Ive already seen so many historical period pieces (especially about World War II) that I just would rather actually see the real history. Im sure that it was a very moving tale about a Monarch who had a speech impediment, but if you are going to get me to pay money at the theater to watch another WWII film, I better see at least 1 action sequence, otherwise Ill just go read about it on the internet.

As soon as its available Ill catch it on Netflix, but in my opinion the only movie that I felt I needed to see in the theaters this year was Inception. Hate it or love it, at least it brought something different to the table.

Overall I thought movies this year were meh, which would be evidenced by my lack of movie going.

You missed out, as there were a lot of really good movies this year. And if all you need is a unique plot or action sequence, you can give the highest movie honor to some pretty terrible movies.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)

I enjoyed Inception and thought it was a good move but didn't think it was remotely worthy of winning an Oscar. Also, as someone who has watched a ton of science fiction movies, I didn't really feel it brought anything new to the table.

I only saw Inception, The Social Network, Winter's Bone, and The Kids Are Alright.

I enjoyed Inception the most; it was smart, well-acted, had good action, and great special effects.

I would have liked to have seen it win, but never expected it to. I was sort of rooting for the Social Network and David Fincher, who I've come to forgive for Benjamin Button.

You cant argue taste.

And the point about an action sequence is why would I waste $10 on a movie about historical facts, when I can just learn about the historical facts? I mean sure every once in a while you will have a Schindler's List, but even that movies imagery had a point.

I guess if the movie was about an individual overcoming obstacles Id rather not have it cloaked in a WWII period piece, but once again you cant argue taste.

And I really dont think that I missed out, Ive gone through the lists of movies and most of them dont really excite me.