2011 Oscars Thread

Brian

Also, as someone who has watched a ton of science fiction movies, I didn't really feel it brought anything new to the table.

Im sure I watch as much Sci-Fi as anyone, but you can say that nothing has been new to the table since Jewels Verne if you want. If you dont think Inception was unique that is your opinion. Sure have Blade Runner and a million other films taken on reality versus non-reality, but Inception took it in another direction.

Im not sure that I ever argued for it to be the Best Picture, Im not sure if I would have argued for any of them to be.

Oh Steve come on, one of the strongest in the last 20 years?

Personally I found last years nominations far better.

And last 20 years, you do realize that the following movies came out in 1994.

1994:

Forest Gump

Pulp Fiction

Shawshank Redemption

That year also had a "King's Speech" it was called "The Madness of King George"

Do you really think 1 of the movies we saw last night will be a Gump, Fiction or Shawshank?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I enjoyed Inception and thought it was a good move but didn't think it was remotely worthy of winning an Oscar. Also, as someone who has watched a ton of science fiction movies, I didn't really feel it brought anything new to the table.

How many sci-fi movies have in forever? Everyone is ripping off something.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)

1994:

Forest Gump

Pulp Fiction

Shawshank Redemption

Do you really think 1 of the movies we saw last night will be a Gump, Fiction or Shawshank?

Great point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)

1994:

Forest Gump

Pulp Fiction

Shawshank Redemption

You haven't seen any of them so why on Earth are you even chiming in on the quality of films?

Black Swan

127 Hours

King's Speech

Social Network

True Grit

Inception

Those were all FANTASTIC films. The first two seriously blew my mind and fully-engrossed me. I also enjoyed performances in "The Fighter" greatly as well.

I said it was one of the strongest years for film, not THE strongest, in the last 20 years. I can't believe you'd compare last year's crop and the battle of exes anywhere near the quality.

See these movies before you chime in, yo. Doing so prior is just silly.

Edited by Steve9347

I do plan on seeing them all. I just was saying that the fact most of them did not get me out to the movies, in my opinion, showed that it was a weaker year.

May I retrospectively go back and change my mind? Sure. The only movie of the list that I have not seen that I wanted to was Black Swan.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
I just was saying that the fact most of them did not get me out to the movies, in my opinion, showed that it was a weaker year.

But that really means nothing in terms of film quality. It's up to the user to read reviews, seek out trailers, and decide. Everyone has their own taste, and I don't want to start arguing that, but you won't find many experts or pundits or average movie-goers who didn't think this year was quite exceptional when it came to truly great movies.

It, without doubt, blew the 2009/2010 Oscar season out of the water.

but you won't find many experts or pundits or average movie-goers

Its my opinion, I can say that Care Bears is the best movie of all time and that Citizen Kane wasnt worth the reel it was shot on.

I dont read other peoples reviews, I try my best not to see a lot of trailers (generally include some sort of spoiler) and I go into every movie with only my own preconceived notions about whether it is going to be good or not.

Some times I agree with experts, other times I dont. The only difference is that they get paid for something, that Im willing to give for free, my opinion.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Its my opinion, I can say that Care Bears is the best movie of all time and that Citizen Kane wasnt worth the reel it was shot on.

I dont read other peoples reviews, I try my best not to see a lot of trailers (generally include some sort of spoiler) and I go into every movie with only my own preconceived notions about whether it is going to be good or not.

Some times I agree with experts, other times I dont. The only difference is that they get paid for something, that Im willing to give for free, my opinion.

Yeah, great story, but when you give your opinion without seeing movies that's when your posts become hogwash.

Edited by Steve9347

Maybe if any of my posts were about the movies without seeing them, you would have a point. But when the point of my post is that "I didnt see a lot of the movies because they did not excite me", the entire point is that I didnt see the movies.

In my first post I explicitly state which movies I saw, so that there was no confusion that my remarks were not about the actual film, but instead my perception of them.

As I said, Ill see them all, just most of them did not make me so excited that I had to spend $10. I can just live with seeing them on the Netflix at $10 unlimited per month.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
Maybe if any of my posts were about the movies without seeing them, you would have a point. But when the point of my post is that "I didnt see a lot of the movies because they did not excite me", the entire point is that I didnt see the movies.

In my first post I explicitly state which movies I saw, so that there was no confusion that my remarks were not about the actual film, but instead my perception of them.

As I said, Ill see them all, just most of them did not make me so excited that I had to spend $10. I can just live with seeing them on the Netflix at $10 unlimited per month.

Dude, you called me crazy for saying this was such a strong year for movies, yet you hadn't seen 80% of the best picture nominees. That alone made your post invalid!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
But that really means nothing in terms of film quality. It's up to the user to read reviews, seek out trailers, and decide. Everyone has their own taste, and I don't want to start arguing that, but you won't find many experts or pundits or average movie-goers who didn't think this year was quite exceptional when it came to truly great movies.

It, without doubt, blew the 2009/2010 Oscar season out of the water.

I don't think it was an all time great year but it was a really good year for the top movies. The King's Speech was phenomenal, I loved Toy Story 3, the Social Network and The Fighter were both excellent films. I thought True Grit was very good but not a great film. And I thought Inception was merely good. I still need to see 127 Hours. I haven't seen Black Swan, The Kids Are All Right or Winter's Bone and don't really plan to even though I'm sure they are good movies.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I do plan on seeing them all. I just was saying that the fact most of them did not get me out to the movies, in my opinion, showed that it was a weaker year.

May I retrospectively go back and change my mind? Sure. The only movie of the list that I have not seen that I wanted to was Black Swan.

So...you basically want to judge a book by its cover?

Everyone judges a book by its cover to some degree.

And really if we are going to say that Nolan ripped off Duck Tales, we should get mad at Duck Tales for ripping off A Midsummers Night's Dream or the fact that Ariadne refers to the a Greek myth about Labyrinth. I think the visuals were unique, and I didnt see any Duck Tales imagery creating cities from nothing or having streets collapse on themselves.

No idea is going to be unique, according to some there are only 6 or 7 different stories, and they have all been told in one variation or another.