Concert goers

clujer420

My first real concert (something non-county fair with only 500-1000 people) is this Saturday, as I'll be attending the "Summer Sanitarium" show in LA featuring the best heavy rock band of all-time, Metallica. The show is at the Los Angeles Coliseum -- which seats upwards of 100,000. The show starts at 3 PM, but based on several show reports I've read about shows across the country, Metallica doesn't go on stage until around 9 PM. The other bands I don't really care much to see, and I don't want to sit there for 6 hours in the hot sun if I can avoid it. But, I also want to be there in plenty of time.

Things that I have to take into account are parking -- I don't want to wait until 6 or 7 and show up, and find that there is no parking. I also don't want to risk not having a seat when I get there.

So, my question is to anyone who has ever been to a big-time concert -- do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance. ;)

My first real concert (something non-county fair with only 500-1000 people) is this Saturday, as I'll be attending the "Summer Sanitarium" show in LA featuring the best heavy rock band of all-time, Metallica.  The show is at the Los Angeles Coliseum -- which seats upwards of 100,000.  The show starts at 3 PM, but based on several show reports I've read about shows across the country, Metallica doesn't go on stage until around 9 PM.  The other bands I don't really care much to see, and I don't want to sit there for 6 hours in the hot sun if I can avoid it.  But, I also want to be there in plenty of time. 

Things that I have to take into account are parking -- I don't want to wait until 6 or 7 and show up, and find that there is no parking.  I also don't want to risk not having a seat when I get there.

So, my question is to anyone who has ever been to a big-time concert -- do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance. ;)

You're in "Either-Or" territory, Clu.

EITHER you show up 6 hours early OR you risk not finding parking or a seat.

You're going to have to show up early if you want parking and a place to sit, in most cases of "big" concerts.

My days of "big concerts" are generally over, as most of the bands I like these days are playing small to midsize venues, and that's FINE with me. I hated every second of the Enormodome experience - too many people, too long of lines, bad sight lines, muddy hollow sound, some asswipe "singing" right in your ear out of tune, waiting an hour to get out of the parking lot....UGH. You can have it!

Sorry I'm not much help, but with that many people, you're going to have to endure some inconveniences.

You're going to have to show up early if you want parking and a place to sit, in most cases of "big" concerts.

I have seats that I paid for, though...are you saying that at big concerts, the seats are pretty much first-come, first-serve? Aren't there ushers who will help me? :lol:

You're in "Either-Or" territory, Clu.

EITHER you show up 6 hours early OR you risk not finding parking or a seat.

My days of "big concerts" are generally over, as most of the bands I like these days are playing small to midsize venues, and that's FINE with me. I hated every second of the Enormodome experience - too many people, too long of lines, bad sight lines, muddy hollow sound, some asswipe "singing" right in your ear out of tune, waiting an hour to get out of the parking lot....UGH. You can have it!

Sorry I'm not much help, but with that many people, you're going to have to endure some inconveniences.

IMO, I get to a lot of "big concerts" and I simply sit in the seat I pay for. Parking is parking and the earlier you get there, the closer you are (which is not always a good thing when it comes time to leave) but I've never had an issue with "getting a seat" unless I buy lawn seats. :huh:

Sorry, when you said that you didn't want to risk not having a place to sit when you got there, I assumed that meant you had some sort of festival seating.

If someone's in your seat when you arrive, kick 'em out.

But parking is still a concern if you get there late...