Most Remarkable Sports Moment

Had a discussion earlier with a friend about the single most remarkable sporting moment you've ever seen. Something that absolutely astonished you.

To me, and I've thought pretty hard about this, it's Usain Bolt breaking the world record in the 200m at the 2008 Olympics. Watching him accelerate through that turn and just smoke the rest of the pack absolutely blew my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGsBo_Ia0c

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
I wasn't around, but I can't even imagine what it would have been like to watch those closing seconds of the miracle on ice live.

Agree with this. I wasn't around either but I get goosebumps just watching the last few minutes with Al Michaels call. Watching that live (or on tape delay without knowing the results) had to be surreal.

I can think of several, though some have already been mentioned and I won't repeat them with the exception of the miracle on ice .... that was awesome. I'm thinking of Franz Klamer's run in the winter games in I believe it was Innsbruk. Then there is the "Immaculate Reception" by Franco Harris. I remember Sweetness bouncing off of about 8 Vikings on 3 yard TD, but I can't pinpoint the year. Then there's Uribe's Game 4 ninth inning and Dwayne Wise's catch in Buehrle's perfecto. Oh ... then there is Bo Jackson running up the wall in the All-Star game. AJ on the drop third strike vs. the Angels. Then before my time, but Willie Mays' catch of Vic Wertz flyball in the '54 series, Teddy Ballgame taking the the ephus pitch in the ASG. Reggie Jackson vs the Dodgers. Damn ... like James Earl Jones said in Feild of Dreams, I'm having to brush away the memories.

Pausing Game 2 of the '05 series to take a piss before Paulie's AB. Getting back and watching it a few seconds delayed and hearing my entire (dorm) floor screaming and me and my buddy looking at each other "HOLY s*** HE MUST HAVE HIT IT OUT"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 07:09 AM)
The funny thing is that I was thinking of track and field as well, with Michael Johnson's world record 200M performance at the Olympics. The lead he had at the end was surreal.

^this^ i remember watching those olympics, and the performance Johnson put on at the 200m and the 400m.. holy.......

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Those two Mike Brown tip interceptions in overtime during the 2001 Bears season were both pretty ridiculous

I was at that game, that was awesome.

I think the swimming relay race in the 2008 olympics when the Americans came from way behind to beat France. I was in shock.

Ugh, I knew people would say the Miracle on Ice. It was a game, not a moment, thats why it doesn't count. They celebrated a huge victory, like teams do all the time. The commentary made it legendary.

But to each his own, I suppose.

I do love that Michael Johnson 200m race as well. Those gold shoes were incredible and I do remember watching that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I'd have to throw in some random March Madness moments. Bryce Drew's shot in the tourney to win an opening round game and Tyus Edney going end to end to win a game at the buzzers' were legendary.

I was in 11th grade, 9th period physics at the time. Teacher's name was Yan Wolfman, mad Russian who would occasionally run out of the classroom to trade stocks. People in class managed to convince him to turn TV on. At the time the shot went in, the entire class erupted in cheers. From down the hall, you could hear a similar eruption from just about every classroom.

Whole damn school had that game on.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
Ugh, I knew people would say the Miracle on Ice. It was a game, not a moment, thats why it doesn't count. They celebrated a huge victory, like teams do all the time. The commentary made it legendary.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction, especially because multiple posters referred specifically to the closing "moments" of that event. :huh

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I was in 11th grade, 9th period physics at the time. Teacher's name was Yan Wolfman, mad Russian who would occasionally run out of the classroom to trade stocks. People in class managed to convince him to turn TV on. At the time the shot went in, the entire class erupted in cheers. From down the hall, you could hear a similar eruption from just about every classroom.

Whole damn school had that game on.

I had a special connection to Drew anyway. I got to broadcast his high school state finals from Indy the year that team went down there. I got to meet Homer and interview him and everything. Talking about a special sports moment for me personally, that was it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
I'm not sure I understand the distinction, especially because multiple posters referred specifically to the closing "moments" of that event. :huh

The closing moments of that event was the puck being passed around the ice. I dunno, just doesn't qualify to me.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
The closing moments of that event was the puck being passed around the ice. I dunno, just doesn't qualify to me.

With all due respect, how old are you and have you ever actually seen it (or any other one goal hockey game)? The entire last minute of that game, the puck was being "passed around the ice" by the most formidable hockey team ever assembled up to that point, in a relentless rush to tie a 4-3 contest. The Americans finally managed to clear their zone with only about 7 seconds left. Up to that moment (actually most of the last ten minutes), the tension and pressure were unbelievable. You're going to discount all of that because the puck crossed the center red line at the end?

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
With all due respect, how old are you and have you ever actually seen it (or any other one goal hockey game)? The entire last minute of that game, the puck was being "passed around the ice" by the most formidable hockey team ever assembled up to that point, in a relentless rush to tie a 4-3 contest. The Americans finally managed to clear their zone with only about 7 seconds left. Up to that moment (actually most of the last ten minutes), the tension and pressure were unbelievable. You're going to discount all of that because the puck crossed the center red line at the end?

1. I'm 21.

2. Yes, I've seen it.

3. No, I've never seen any other one goal hockey games. Despite the fact that I am a hockey play-by-play guy and a Blackhawks fan.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
1. I'm 21.

2. Yes, I've seen it.

3. No, I've never seen any other one goal hockey games. Despite the fact that I am a hockey play-by-play guy and a Blackhawks fan.

I seriously don't mean to be a dick, but if you're going to describe the closing moments of that game as the puck "being passed around the ice," you might need to liven up your play-by-play. Peace.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I seriously don't mean to be a dick, but if you're going to describe the closing moments of that game as the puck "being passed around the ice," you might need to liven up your play-by-play. Peace.

Thanks for the tip. Peace.