Most Remarkable Sports Moment

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
1. I'm 21.

2. Yes, I've seen it.

3. No, I've never seen any other one goal hockey games. Despite the fact that I am a hockey play-by-play guy and a Blackhawks fan.

I think it all just depends on how we define a sports "moment". To me, the "moment" is not the passing of the puck the final minute (though that is some incredibly tense passing, seriously), but I'd say the moment is the clock ticking down to 0, fans and players going ballistic, and the realization that a massive underdog pulled off the impossible on the largest stage. If you were watching the game on television (I was not yet born) I'm sure the Al Michaels' call was a "moment" as well.

So, Slav doesn't define all of the above as a "moment", while I'm sure Kaner's goal going in in overtime was a "moment". It's just a difference of terminology, I reckon.

Personally, even though I wasn't alive, just watching tape... well, the "Miracle on Ice" was a remarkable sports moment if I've ever seen one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
I think it all just depends on how we define a sports "moment". To me, the "moment" is not the passing of the puck the final minute (though that is some incredibly tense passing, seriously), but I'd say the moment is the clock ticking down to 0, fans and players going ballistic, and the realization that a massive underdog pulled off the impossible on the largest stage. If you were watching the game on television (I was not yet born) I'm sure the Al Michaels' call was a "moment" as well.

So, Slav doesn't define all of the above as a "moment", while I'm sure Kaner's goal going in in overtime was a "moment". It's just a difference of terminology, I reckon.

Personally, even though I wasn't alive, just watching tape... well, the "Miracle on Ice" was a remarkable sports moment if I've ever seen one.

Ya I guess it comes down to defining the criteria of the moment. A celebration is a moment, sure, but the build up and everything that happened previously in the game and the hype before it is a huge factor. So I guess, in my eyes, the go ahead goal by Eruzione half way through the 3rd would be the moment.

All of 05 is just a moment by itself for me. But anyways, I know it's kind of lame since they ended up getting knocked out next round but Donovan's goal last summer in the WC to send the Americans to the knock out stage was amazing for me, personally.

Uribe gunning out Orlando Palmeiro is it. Everything considered - my interest in it, the storylines behind it, the sheer brilliance of it, and whatever else you can think of - it is almost certainly going to go down as the top sports moment in my life.

(until the White Sox sign me in 3 years after they see me playing a pickup game of baseball and realize how amazing my skills are, and I then go on to win 3 MVPs and hit 2 walk off World Series winning home runs)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Ugh, I knew people would say the Miracle on Ice. It was a game, not a moment, thats why it doesn't count. They celebrated a huge victory, like teams do all the time. The commentary made it legendary.

But to each his own, I suppose.

I do love that Michael Johnson 200m race as well. Those gold shoes were incredible and I do remember watching that.

I said the "closing seconds" of the game, which would be a moment.

Another one that stands out in my head, even though I was very young, was Paxson's 3-pointer against the Suns.

"For those of us who weren't alive to experience the moment, words can only explain so much.

For those of us who were alive, no words are possible.

The 1980 Miracle on Ice is a moment that lives on in the hearts of Americans and hockey fans worldwide, more often than not as the greatest moment in sports history."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/568574-...l-never-get-old

That says it better than I ever could, regardless of whether you define a "moment" or "The Miracle" as a game, a score, a play, a call, or just the sounding of the horn.

My parents were at the Miracle on Ice and you cant tell them and I'm sure anyone else there or watching the game later on tv that it was just a game, not a moment.

There was a lot more to that event then two teams playing hockey.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/568574-...l-never-get-old

That says it better than I ever could, regardless of whether you define a "moment" or "The Miracle" as a game, a score, a play, a call, or just the sounding of the horn.

I just don't get the love it receives, maybe I'm too young or because I don't like hockey but never has impacted me.

The Cold War was an every day living event. Until 1990, you didn't know if or when you were going to die by the hands of the Soviets and their nukes.

This was the ultimate underdog story. It was like a college team defeating an NHL Stanley Cup champion.

It was a huge event for America in the propaganda war.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
The Cold War was an every day living event. Until 1990, you didn't know if or when you were going to die by the hands of the Soviets and their nukes.

This was the ultimate underdog story. It was like a college team defeating an NHL Stanley Cup champion.

That Soviet team had just taken 2 of 3 versus the NHL All-Stars the year before.

I would equal it as Gonzaga beating the original Dream Team.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)

Not just the cold war, although that can't be over emphasized. I suspect that's ancient history for many posters here.

On top of that, we were in the midst of the Iranian hostage crisis, and the whole economic malaise that was the twilight years of the Carter administration. Forget propaganda, there wasn't a lot to feel good about America from within. We were only six years removed from Watergate, and just a few more from Vietnam.

The sports aspect and the cultural/political aspect just made for an unbelievable combination. It still was a tremendous athletic accomplishment on its own, but that context took it to a whole other level.

Mine are all Sox-related, since I didn't watch sports heavily until a few years ago.

1. Over the head of Jenks.

2. DeWayne Wise's grab. Only reason this is higher than the other 3 is because my heart absolutely stopped. I raced home when Farmer said no one reached base...in the 4th inning. I saw Wise bobble that ball and I felt like I was gonna cry.

3. Pods walkoff.

4. Blum.

5. Paulie slam.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
All of 05 is just a moment by itself for me. But anyways, I know it's kind of lame since they ended up getting knocked out next round but Donovan's goal last summer in the WC to send the Americans to the knock out stage was amazing for me, personally.

Wow, how did I forget that? Absolutely. I was at work and cut to the cafeteria to watch those last 10 minutes with a couple guys. Talk about an intense moment and everyone just jumped up and yelled when he put that in. Good call.

I'll add the Illini comeback against AZ to go to the 2005 Final Four, which was the most remarkable sports event I ever attended in person. Being at 05WSG4 in Houston was the "best" insofar as it made me the happiest, but the magnitude of the comeback and the volume within the building were astonishing. My hands and throat hurt for days.

I'm sure if I had been at 05WSG2, that would be at the top of the list.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

I watched the Miracle on Ice while working at Foot Locker and by the end of the game we had a crowd around our TV. Mike and Don were the other two guys working that day. When you can remember details like that, it's more than a game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
Kirk Gibson's homer against Eckersley.

Also, I know this will piss off some, but Michael Phelps winning by the slighest margin possible a few years ago in the Olympics was pretty remarkable.

Speaking of Olympics, the Canadian Ice Skating pair who were robbed of a gold medal by the French judge. What a thriller that was....or not.