2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Getz is better defensively and faster. At least he steals more bases. Their average is about the same but Beckham is a better.............what? At the time the Sox could have gotten a lot for Beckham and also they would not now have Teahen, and his salary.

I don't think Getz is better defensively; I think he has better hands, but is slower to react and doesn't have as good of an arm. That's not a big deal most of the time, but can be a factor when turning DPs which hurts his value because he couldn't be kept as a utility player, whereas Beckham was moved from SS because he doesn't have the necessary range to play it at the MLB level and did play 3B. I think they are pretty even defensively 2B, but I'd give a slight edge to Beckham.

Their average is similar. Beckham draws more walks. Beckham has far superior power. Getz will steal more bases, but that's a pretty trivial point. And Getz is quite a bit more injury prone too.

Oh, and Beckham was drafted 8th overall and is still a young player. He's going to be given every chance and then some before a 4th round pick who wasn't highly regarded.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't think Getz is better defensively; I think he has better hands, but is slower to react and doesn't have as good of an arm. That's not a big deal most of the time, but can be a factor when turning DPs which hurts his value because he couldn't be kept as a utility player, whereas Beckham was moved from SS because he doesn't have the necessary range to play it at the MLB level and did play 3B. I think they are pretty even defensively 2B, but I'd give a slight edge to Beckham.

Their average is similar. Beckham draws more walks. Beckham has far superior power. Getz will steal more bases, but that's a pretty trivial point. And Getz is quite a bit more injury prone too.

Oh, and Beckham was drafted 8th overall and is still a young player. He's going to be given every chance and then some before a 4th round pick who wasn't highly regarded.

Is this seriously an argument about Getz vs. Beckham? :lolhitting

More a discussion of Getz plus what the Sox could have got for Beckham, vs. keeping Beckham. This site often points out the lack of home grown talent. Getz came up through each level of the Sox system. Starting slowly but improving enough to advance all the way to the big league team. He continues to improve now batting leadoff as Kansas City's regular second baseman. Beckham hits eight for the Sox and has had one half of a rookie season that was good. I am not so pro Getz as I am not so enamored with Beckham. I don't care where he was drafted, at this point Getz is producing as much as Beckham. The Sox could have got more for Beckham than they did for Getz. Did the Sox keep the wrong guy?

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
More a discussion of Getz plus what the Sox could have got for Beckham, vs. keeping Beckham. This site often points out the lack of home grown talent. Getz came up through each level of the Sox system. Starting slowly but improving enough to advance all the way to the big league team. He continues to improve now batting leadoff as Kansas City's regular second baseman. Beckham hits eight for the Sox and has had one half of a rookie season that was good. I am not so pro Getz as I am not so enamored with Beckham. I don't care where he was drafted, at this point Getz is producing as much as Beckham. The Sox could have got more for Beckham than they did for Getz. Did the Sox keep the wrong guy?

No.

Who knows what the Sox can actually get for Beckham? And who knows what Beckham will actually become? He hasn't even played 2 full years in the majors and has shown great signs of success. He's also still wildly inconsistent, beating upon himself too often. He's an extremely talented baseball player who could end up being the face of the franchise for the next 10 years. Naturally, he can bust too.

Chris Getz is "just a guy." There are players like him all over baseball at all levels. His peak production, when he gets lucky, is probably that of a .300/.350/.400 player. When he is not getting the breaks, he will be a .240/.300/.300 player, which is horrendous. There is no upside there, and his downside is far, far worse than Beckham's downside.

Beyond that, you are making a statement about Chris Getz as if he's magically improved and is suddenly an extremely patient hitter at the plate while getting doubles and is similar to Beckham. He has like 80 plate appearances. You are also suggesting that he is good because he's leading off for the Royals. As cool as the Royals story has been so far, it's still April, and, depending upon how much of their young talent they bring up in June, they're still a 70 win team. Just because he's leading off for them doesn't make him good. Hell, Juan Pierre is leading off for the White Sox and he's terrible offensively.

No, the White Sox would not have been better off keeping Getz. The White Sox already have a superior option to Getz waiting in AAA in the form of Eduardo Escobar. He isn't pretty with the stick but is with the glove and he appears to have a bit of power too.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)

This is literally awful. Beckham's floor is higher than Getz' ceiling.

No.

Who knows what the Sox can actually get for Beckham? And who knows what Beckham will actually become? He hasn't even played 2 full years in the majors and has shown great signs of success. He's also still wildly inconsistent, beating upon himself too often. He's an extremely talented baseball player who could end up being the face of the franchise for the next 10 years. Naturally, he can bust too.

Chris Getz is "just a guy." There are players like him all over baseball at all levels. His peak production, when he gets lucky, is probably that of a .300/.350/.400 player. When he is not getting the breaks, he will be a .240/.300/.300 player, which is horrendous. There is no upside there, and his downside is far, far worse than Beckham's downside.

Beyond that, you are making a statement about Chris Getz as if he's magically improved and is suddenly an extremely patient hitter at the plate while getting doubles and is similar to Beckham. He has like 80 plate appearances. You are also suggesting that he is good because he's leading off for the Royals. As cool as the Royals story has been so far, it's still April, and, depending upon how much of their young talent they bring up in June, they're still a 70 win team. Just because he's leading off for them doesn't make him good. Hell, Juan Pierre is leading off for the White Sox and he's terrible offensively.

No, the White Sox would not have been better off keeping Getz. The White Sox already have a superior option to Getz waiting in AAA in the form of Eduardo Escobar. He isn't pretty with the stick but is with the glove and he appears to have a bit of power too.

Ryan Sweeney, Chris Getz, Gio (Part I and II).... all "just guys". Just guys we MISSED and now produce elsewhere better than what we settled with.

They won't light the world on fire, I agree with you. But they look better when they leave our organization then when they had chances here. That is telling.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
Ryan Sweeney, Chris Getz, Gio (Part I and II).... all "just guys". Just guys we MISSED and now produce elsewhere better than what we settled with.

They won't light the world on fire, I agree with you. But they look better when they leave our organization then when they had chances here. That is telling.

Ryan Sweeney isn't just a guy. He was a top rated prospect coming up through the White Sox system. He's got a very quick, smooth, compact swing, and it wouldn't have been far fetched to suggest that he could have Grady Sizemore-esque numbers back then (though he would have been coming up with Grady Sizemore, so you couldn't have made the comparison back then). The power never developed but he did turn into a pretty good average hitter. He just doesn't fit into the A's starting lineup, but there are several teams he could start for, one of whom is the Chicago White Sox if Guillen and/or Williams ever decided that the leadoff hitter didn't need to steal bases.

Gio Gonzalez isn't just a guy either. You aren't included in trades for Jim Thome, Freddy Garcia, and Nick Swisher because people think you have no talent. He's probably a top 30 starter in the AL right now, which would technically qualify him as a #2 starter.

Chris Getz is just a guy. He is a hardworker and busts his ass at all times and I can appreciate that not only as a baseball fan, but quite frankly as an American - a guy is doing what he loves and is working as hard as he possibly can at it. The fact of the matter is, he's just not very talented and has gotten as far as he has due to hard work and that there are numerous players throughout the minor leagues and on the benches of a ton of Major League teams that have a very similar skill set. He's not going to hit for a very good average because he doesn't hit the ball hard enough, and he's not going to hit for a lot of power because he's not strong enough, and due to both of those, he's not going to walk a lot because pitchers are going to go attack the zone against him because he is very unlikely to hurt them badly. He can steal a base too but much of that has to do with being pretty quick and having worked on his stealing technique over and over and over again. He's an OK ballplayer, a ceiling of someone like Aaron Miles or Jamey Carroll. A nice tool to have off the bench but not a guy you want in your starting lineup. He's merely a placeholder in Kansas City until some hot shot prospect takes over for him either midseason or next year.

---

Oh, and the reason those guys look better in other organizations than when they leave the White Sox is because they GET better. When they were with the Sox, they were young and inexperienced ballplayers, and as they continued their development as a baseball player, they matured and learned and got better. It has next to nothing to do with the fact that they left the Chicago White Sox organization. Look at what Gavin Floyd has done outside of Philadelphia; is that an indictment on the Phillies organization? Look at what John Danks has done outside of the Rangers organization; are the Rangers doing something wrong? Look at what Quentin has done since coming over from Arizona; do the Diamondbacks suck at developing players? In 100.2 IP since joining the White Sox, Edwin Jackson has an ERA of 3.31, a WHIP of 1.25, a BB/9 of 2.3, and a K/9 of 9.3. From 2003 to 2009, those numbers were 4.66, 1.51, 4, and 6.3 respectively. Are the Dodgers, Rays, and Tigers incompetent?

Of course they aren't. They simply traded players away, for whatever reason, and they got better someone else for some other reason. That is baseball.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
This is literally awful. Beckham's floor is higher than Getz' ceiling.

I am not saying Getz is a better player. He might end up that way though. What I am saying is if the Sox had kept Getz and traded Beckham maybe for a real left fielder or a closer we would have a better team. Maybe the Sox kept the wrong guy. Beckham's floor is getting pretty low.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
Ryan Sweeney isn't just a guy. He was a top rated prospect coming up through the White Sox system. He's got a very quick, smooth, compact swing, and it wouldn't have been far fetched to suggest that he could have Grady Sizemore-esque numbers back then (though he would have been coming up with Grady Sizemore, so you couldn't have made the comparison back then). The power never developed but he did turn into a pretty good average hitter. He just doesn't fit into the A's starting lineup, but there are several teams he could start for, one of whom is the Chicago White Sox if Guillen and/or Williams ever decided that the leadoff hitter didn't need to steal bases.

Gio Gonzalez isn't just a guy either. You aren't included in trades for Jim Thome, Freddy Garcia, and Nick Swisher because people think you have no talent. He's probably a top 30 starter in the AL right now, which would technically qualify him as a #2 starter.

Chris Getz is just a guy. He is a hardworker and busts his ass at all times and I can appreciate that not only as a baseball fan, but quite frankly as an American - a guy is doing what he loves and is working as hard as he possibly can at it. The fact of the matter is, he's just not very talented and has gotten as far as he has due to hard work and that there are numerous players throughout the minor leagues and on the benches of a ton of Major League teams that have a very similar skill set. He's not going to hit for a very good average because he doesn't hit the ball hard enough, and he's not going to hit for a lot of power because he's not strong enough, and due to both of those, he's not going to walk a lot because pitchers are going to go attack the zone against him because he is very unlikely to hurt them badly. He can steal a base too but much of that has to do with being pretty quick and having worked on his stealing technique over and over and over again. He's an OK ballplayer, a ceiling of someone like Aaron Miles or Jamey Carroll. A nice tool to have off the bench but not a guy you want in your starting lineup. He's merely a placeholder in Kansas City until some hot shot prospect takes over for him either midseason or next year.

---

Oh, and the reason those guys look better in other organizations than when they leave the White Sox is because they GET better. When they were with the Sox, they were young and inexperienced ballplayers, and as they continued their development as a baseball player, they matured and learned and got better. It has next to nothing to do with the fact that they left the Chicago White Sox organization. Look at what Gavin Floyd has done outside of Philadelphia; is that an indictment on the Phillies organization? Look at what John Danks has done outside of the Rangers organization; are the Rangers doing something wrong? Look at what Quentin has done since coming over from Arizona; do the Diamondbacks suck at developing players? In 100.2 IP since joining the White Sox, Edwin Jackson has an ERA of 3.31, a WHIP of 1.25, a BB/9 of 2.3, and a K/9 of 9.3. From 2003 to 2009, those numbers were 4.66, 1.51, 4, and 6.3 respectively. Are the Dodgers, Rays, and Tigers incompetent?

Of course they aren't. They simply traded players away, for whatever reason, and they got better someone else for some other reason. That is baseball.

This post I like.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
Why did we get rid of Getz, anyway? What did we get? Why would we keep Liilibridge and send Getz packing?

Lilly is the better bench option given his ability to play SS/2B/OF and he is a superior base stealer to Getz. As long as the little f***er doesn't start, he is a nice piece to have chillin' on the bench. Plus the kids love him come Christmas time.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Getz has an OPS lower than Beckham's is currenty. Sweeney is hitting .222 with 1 RBI. I thought April Fool's Day was 3 weeks ago?

and a .778 OPS, so he'd be like the 3rd best hitter on the White Sox!

He has 21 plate appearances.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
Cool. Glad they put out the s*** squad for games on WGN. Maybe I'll just sleep in (and yes, waking up before 1 pm does not constitute sleeping in for me)

Something's got to give. Historically, they're more like to get to a World Series than lose eight consecutive games to the Tigers.

The last time that happened was 1949-1950, when our Chairman was a young man idolizing Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers.