2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Actually, Beckham has struggled, succeeded, struggled, succeeded, struggled. Its really amazing how many people have given up on him. You will all be eating crow.

Never said I was giving up on him, he's way too young to write off. It's better to struggle at 24 than 28-29. I'm just saying that I doubt any other organization would have drafted Beckham if Smoak was still on the board.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Did you remind people when Smoak was a strikeout machine getting sent back to the minors? I believe in Beckham. There will be a lot of people eating their words in a month or so.

Beckham has a1.000 fielding # and is comin around I think.

He (Beckham) hasn't made an error?

I'm also getting away from the idea that having Teahen at 3B would give us the most offense, but we have to bring up Viciedo and play him in LF or RF at some point.

The season will probably be declared over by the time he's brought up, so the problem will be that all the numbers compiled by Santos, Beckham, Viciedo and Sale will be considered "suspect" and not under the pressure of a pennant race. (See Wells, Kip in a Pirates uniform).

I just hope that at least 3 of those 4 play/pitch very well from here on out. It will give us something to feel optimistic about going forward, along with having some legit impact prospects to be excited about for the first time in 2-3 seasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Actually, Beckham has struggled, succeeded, struggled, succeeded, struggled. Its really amazing how many people have given up on him. You will all be eating crow.

Nobody will be eating crow. He'll be given his just due like he was in '09 when he was producing. As of right now, he deserves nothing but criticism. We heard all the spring training fluff about how Beckham was "looking to rebound" or "looking to put 2010 behind him" and here we are in the same position with him. Then you look around baseball and you see guys like Buster Posey, Jason Heyward, Drew Stubbs, Justin Smoak, Brett Wallace, Starlin Casto, Ike Davis, and Andrew McCutchen for the most part get called up and consistently produce right off the bat and Beckham's struggles are magnified.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Nobody will be eating crow. He'll be given his just due like he was in '09 when he was producing. As of right now, he deserves nothing but criticism. We heard all the spring training fluff about how Beckham was "looking to rebound" or "looking to put 2010 behind him" and here we are in the same position with him. Then you look around baseball and you see guys like Justin Smoak, Brett Wallace, Starlin Casto, Ike Davis, and Andrew McCutchen for the most part get called up and consistently produce right off the bat and Beckham's struggles are magnified.

Or "illuminated" as Ozzie would say it.

Here's something that shows how far we are behind the Twins (since we're 6-24 against them head-to-head since mid-2009), and how far the Twins are behind the rest of the AL.

Minnesota on the road against the AL East from the beginning of 2009.

2-11 at New York (White Sox are 5-15)

1-7 at Boston (including yesterday's victory)

5-10 at Toronto

6-9 at Tampa Bay

6-7 at Baltimore

22-44

Wondering how long we'll keep hearing about the 1983 White Sox, 01 A's, 05 Astros, 06 Twins and 09 Rockies...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Nobody will be eating crow. He'll be given his just due like he was in '09 when he was producing. As of right now, he deserves nothing but criticism. We heard all the spring training fluff about how Beckham was "looking to rebound" or "looking to put 2010 behind him" and here we are in the same position with him. Then you look around baseball and you see guys like Buster Posey, Jason Heyward, Drew Stubbs, Justin Smoak, Brett Wallace, Starlin Casto, Ike Davis, and Andrew McCutchen for the most part get called up and consistently produce right off the bat and Beckham's struggles are magnified.

Maybe he's a late bloomer like Humber. Have you given Humber his due? BTW, Posey's OPS is down .162 from last year. I wonder if Giants fans are ready to slit their wrists. Justin Smoak was awful with Texas and Seattle last year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Cool. So we get to wait 5 more years until Beckham 'gets it?' That's a terrible comparison and you know it.

I really don't mind your b****ing about every White Sox prospect, but when you mention other teams' prospect you fail to mention they have struggled at times too. Brett Wallace was horrid last year. You were very wrong about Humber, maybe you have, but I haven't seen you give him his due., and since you think Beckham sucks, you will be wrong about him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
I really don't mind your b****ing about every White Sox prospect, but when you mention other teams' prospect you fail to mention they have struggled at times too. Brett Wallace was horrid last year. You were very wrong about Humber, and since you think Beckham sucks, you will be wrong about him.

I do think we should wait until at least the ASB before we start crowing about Humber being a feather in KW's or Cooper's cap.

It was a good "no risk" acquisition, but there's a long season to go for Beckham to redeem himself and Humber to falter.

Unfortunately, Beckham didn't produce (along with 4-5 other guys) when he was most needed, and it's made the season almost irrelevant from here on out, except as "developmental" trial and error in setting up for 2012 and playing spoiler.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
I do think we should wait until at least the ASB before we start crowing about Humber being a feather in KW's or Cooper's cap.

It was a good "no risk" acquisition, but there's a long season to go for Beckham to redeem himself and Humber to falter.

Unfortunately, Beckham didn't produce (along with 4-5 other guys) when he was most needed, and it's made the season almost irrelevant from here on out, except as "developmental" trial and error in setting up for 2012 and playing spoiler.

He was b****ing about Humber just taking the few starts Peavy was going to miss. It turns out during that time he was the Sox best pitcher. Even if Humber has a 25.00 ERA the rest of the year, he was wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
He was b****ing about Humber just taking the few starts Peavy was going to miss. It turns out during that time he was the Sox best pitcher. Even if Humber has a 25.00 ERA the rest of the year, he was wrong.

Humber might also be benefitting from no expectations. That can lead to success sometimes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
I really don't mind your b****ing about every White Sox prospect, but when you mention other teams' prospect you fail to mention they have struggled at times too. Brett Wallace was horrid last year. You were very wrong about Humber, maybe you have, but I haven't seen you give him his due., and since you think Beckham sucks, you will be wrong about him.

Honestly, I really don't care about Humber. He's been great so far. But he's nowhere near as important to this organization going forward as Beckham is. Yeah, I know Wallace sucked last year. And if you read what I said I stated "for the most part" when it came to other teams' top prospects coming up and producing right away. He (Wallace) obviously made some adjustments and now you're seeing why he was so highly regarded (though he's been traded like 22 times). What's Beckham doing? Do we have to wait until August every year for him to look like a major leaguer? I never said Beckham sucks. At least in the sense that he has no talent like Juan Pierre. Sure, if he goes 0/4 with 3 Ks I might say something crazy. But it's not like I think the guy is Jason Kendall. But this game is about results. We're in a hole right now and he's been a big part of it. He or Walker or who f***ing ever need to figure out what the problem is.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Honestly, I really don't care about Humber. He's been great so far. But he's nowhere near as important to this organization going forward as Beckham is. Yeah, I know Wallace sucked last year. And if you read what I said I stated "for the most part" when it came to other teams' top prospects coming up and producing right away. He (Wallace) obviously made some adjustments and now you're seeing why he was so highly regarded (though he's been traded like 22 times). What's Beckham doing? Do we have to wait until August every year for him to look like a major leaguer? I never said Beckham sucks. At least in the sense that he has no talent like Juan Pierre. Sure, if he goes 0/4 with 3 Ks I might say something crazy. But it's not like I think the guy is Jason Kendall. But this game is about results. We're in a hole right now and he's been a big part of it. He or Walker or who f***ing ever need to figure out what the problem is.

You were up for trading him straight up for Alex Gordon. How long did Alex Gordon struggle.? Then the minute he has a decent month, he's a guy you want. Baseball season is a marathon, although the Sox trouble at the starting line seems to have left them with little chance real early in the race.

Edited by Dick Allen

Even CarGo struggles sometimes. (Who's obviously in an elite category, not comparing him to Smoak/Wallace/Beckham/Gordon, etc.)

Brandon McCarthy with a perfect game through 4 against the "powerful" Royals line-up.

ERA all the way down to 2.80 on the season.

Morel's back in the line-up, hitting 9th. Beckham 8th, Rios 7th and AJ 6th.

Hopefully there's a better idea to shake up this team than switching AJ and Alex...doesn't seem too dramatic.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Flowers may have to replace A.J. before the year is out. It would be foolish to trade him now.

Why? He's awful. He can't hit AAA pitching and he doesn't play anywhere close to sufficient enough defense to mask his offensive deficiencies. Mainly a K% that ranges from 32-35%. If you can get anything, and I mean anything, worthwhile for Flowers you don't hesitate.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Why? He's awful. He can't hit AAA pitching and he doesn't play anywhere close to sufficient enough defense to mask his offensive deficiencies. Mainly a K% that ranges from 32-35%. If you can get anything, and I mean anything, worthwhile for Flowers you don't hesitate.

He is slumping because he's trying to get his swing back. They fiddled with his stance and messed him up. He's hit before, he'll hit again.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
He is slumping because he's trying to get his swing back. They fiddled with his stance and messed him up. He's hit before, he'll hit again.

Judging by the past development of our minor league squads, he will not find his swing again.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)

No thanks. Sounds like Beckham. I've given up on this organization ever producing position player talent. Not that I'm giving up on Beckham. But he should've been a slam dunk. Get me Ron Schueler or somebody like him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I wonder what kinda market there is for CQ? He's just not that good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
I wanted (Milledge) on the roster the second he was acquired. I want no part of Lillibridge or De Aza. Gross.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.