2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
So how long before we see a Jermaine Dye appreciation day? I don't think his number gets retired, but it would be nice to see the White Sox acknowledge his retirement and his contribution to the team. I hope there's something in the works...

Or maybe he will replace Dunn, at this point, how much worse could it get?

It's next to impossible to put into words just how much Adam Dunn is killing my baseball buzz. Can't read threads on here, can't read some of my favorite baseball blogs and sites, can't watch highlights most nights, can't even turn on sports radio in the car because there's a damn good chance they'll be talking about the Donkey and it absolutely kills me. I went through baseball hell with the Jim Thome bulls*** but at least he was putting up big numbers, this is a whole other animal.

If you had told me 3 months ago that Joe Pos was going to do a writeup on Dunn in June, I'd have been stoked, well it's happened and I can't even bring myself to look at it.

Gut wrenching f***ing hell, that's what this baseball season has been.

On a lighter note, have any of you seen the ESPN 30 30 series piece on Michael Jordan's year in the minors? He's a former Sox farmhand so I figured he could go in the catch all thread.

I just watched it and it was so well done.

He hit .205 in a full season with Birmingham. The man stole 30 bases. He struck out a lot and had 11 errors in the outfield, which really isn't that many when you think about sticking a man out in the pasture who hadn't played baseball since high school.

In the fall league, he hit .250 and was showing improvement. They showed clips and he did sting the ball some in fall league.

It was a great piece about an obviously complex man - Michael Jordan. Oh yes, he won 3 more world championships after returning to basketball.

I know conspiracy theorists say he was kicked out of basketball for a year for gambling. I just don't see that as being true.

Any opinion on whether Mike could have been a serviceable big leaguer? He obviously had some speed and some skills in baseball.

The piece was so well done I did feel good inside when they showed his first home run. He hit 3 for the Barons. The team mobbed him.

I'm not a Michael apologist. I know he gave a s***ty Hall of Fame speech and was brutal toward some Bulls teammates (his minor league teammates could have been an ass to him and weren't) and had his epic gambling binges (hell I love craps and blackjack), but I don't think he's Satan either. He's complex probably in part trying to please his dad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
On a lighter note, have any of you seen the ESPN 30 30 series piece on Michael Jordan's year in the minors? He's a former Sox farmhand so I figured he could go in the catch all thread.

I just watched it and it was so well done.

He hit .205 in a full season with Birmingham. The man stole 30 bases. He struck out a lot and had 11 errors in the outfield, which really isn't that many when you think about sticking a man out in the pasture who hadn't played baseball since high school.

In the fall league, he hit .250 and was showing improvement. They showed clips and he did sting the ball some in fall league.

It was a great piece about an obviously complex man - Michael Jordan. Oh yes, he won 3 more world championships after returning to basketball.

I know conspiracy theorists say he was kicked out of basketball for a year for gambling. I just don't see that as being true.

Any opinion on whether Mike could have been a serviceable big leaguer? He obviously had some speed and some skills in baseball.

The piece was so well done I did feel good inside when they showed his first home run. He hit 3 for the Barons. The team mobbed him.

I'm not a Michael apologist. I know he gave a s***ty Hall of Fame speech and was brutal toward some Bulls teammates (his minor league teammates could have been an ass to him and weren't) and had his epic gambling binges (hell I love craps and blackjack), but I don't think he's Satan either. He's complex probably in part trying to please his dad.

Greg, open the books!

Yeah, a lot of that goes back to having to prove himself the early part of his high school career. It wasn't until his junior and senior years that he started receiving national acclaim....nothing like Marcus Liberty or Jamie Brandon, for example. Even the kid who played at Simeon who died.

When you read those accounts of the Bulls at that time, he just tortured some of those guys like Perdue and Wennington and Cartwright in practice.

Probably nobody has ever been so competitive and driven. Maybe Tiger Woods, but then there are so many questions circling now because of his personal life and the breaking down of his body and intimations of steroids/PED's.

Saw this on Twitter:

TripleCrown_Inc Triple Crown Sports

by OzzieGuillen

Ozzie Guillen Skills Camps coming to Glen Ellen, Lisle, & Mt. Greenwood. Sign up now at http://BullsSoxAcademy.com/ Space is limited!

So if you have any young kids who want to learn to suck at bunting, get caught stealing and throwing 20 times during a run down, send 'em to OG's camp.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Saw this on Twitter:

So if you have any young kids who want to learn to suck at bunting, get caught stealing and throwing 20 times during a run down, send 'em to OG's camp.

Meh.

I'd be willing to bet Ozzie's camp is great for young kids. I'm sure the lack of execution on the major league level in bunting and stealing has little to do with him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)

I'm sure Juan Pierre getting caught stealing has everything to do with Ozzie and nothing do with him getting older.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:43 AM)
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/ultimatehomerunderby

Vote for Frank!!

But I really think the Mick would win an ultimate home run derby. But man that is real hard to pick.

9. Frank Thomas, Three Rivers Stadium, 1994

You know you've hit a memorable home run when the place where it landed is preserved, even though the stadium it was hit in lost a rendezvous with dynamite years ago. And that's a 100 percent true story in the case of the home run Thomas launched in this Derby -- an upper-deck lunar orbiter to left-center, nine sections over from the foul pole.

It was estimated at 519 feet, the longest ball ever hit in Three Rivers. It was such a momentous blast that the Pirates put a star on the seat, later had Thomas and the coach who served it up, Rich Donnelly, sign the star, and then auctioned it off before they blew up the stadium.

"Frank Thomas is just too big," laughed former major leaguer Gregg Jefferies afterward. "If you're over 260 pounds, there should be a rule -- that you have to play football."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar10/co...&id=5371930

Edited by earthshiner