2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:01 AM)
I follow baseball closer than I do any other sport except college football. I wouldn't feel as strongly about Ozzie as I do in relationship to other managers if I didn't see so much of them.

What do these other managers do that are so much better than Ozzie?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 05:06 AM)
I dont think other managers would put Will Ohman in games that are still close.

Some managers would kill to have Will Ohman in a close game.

Edited by kjshoe04

He doesn't use late game substitutions enough. Especially pinch runners for Konerko and Dunn. If you are going to bunt then make sure the guy bunting can bunt. Coaching some in this area might help. How about making sure the pitchers hold on base runners better? This can also be done with coaching. Hold the coaches involved responsible for preparing the players to execute. Defensive positioning is not good under Ozzie. When do the Sox employ a shift? Do they hold any runner on second base. Ozzie leaves a lot to be desired but overall is about average in game managing. In my humble opinion as a long time observer.

I think players fear what he may say publicly when he goes on his profanity filled tirades. His son chirping about his boss and his employer would not be tolerated in any other workplace. His act has worn thin. I don't think the players respect him or like him and also fear his big mouth and what his tool of a son may write about any of them. Walking on egg shells in the clubhouse because Oney may go public is not a good atmosphere. Ozzie must still supply Oney with information.

Coaching and preperation are not so good. In game managing is avearage at best. Atmosphere and leadership can't be trusted. If he doesn't win now I would love to see a change made.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
Against a LH batter? I'd take Ohman happily. Despite a bad start to the year lefties are hitting .200 against him, .588 OPS.

Unfortunately though Ozzie has had Ohman face more right handed batters than left this season... I'm mostly ok with Ozzie, it was the overuse of the vintage Sunday lineup and misusing pitchers like Ohman I can't stand.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:35 AM)
He doesn't use late game substitutions enough. Especially pinch runners for Konerko and Dunn. If you are going to bunt then make sure the guy bunting can bunt. Coaching some in this area might help. How about making sure the pitchers hold on base runners better? This can also be done with coaching. Hold the coaches involved responsible for preparing the players to execute. Defensive positioning is not good under Ozzie. When do the Sox employ a shift? Do they hold any runner on second base. Ozzie leaves a lot to be desired but overall is about average in game managing. In my humble opinion as a long time observer.

I think players fear what he may say publicly when he goes on his profanity filled tirades. His son chirping about his boss and his employer would not be tolerated in any other workplace. His act has worn thin. I don't think the players respect him or like him and also fear his big mouth and what his tool of a son may write about any of them. Walking on egg shells in the clubhouse because Oney may go public is not a good atmosphere. Ozzie must still supply Oney with information.

Coaching and preperation are not so good. In game managing is avearage at best. Atmosphere and leadership can't be trusted. If he doesn't win now I would love to see a change made.

All of this is true.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
And Ohman. And Humber. And Teahen. And Morel. Who else am I forgetting?

The obvious, Dunn and Rios. You could put Pierre,Lillibridge and Thornton in there too. Not playing Lillibridge enough when he was hot. Playing Pierre too much when he was not. Thornton clearly lacked closer ability early on.

Also why does Ozzie sit guys when they are hot? He doesn't play the hot hand often enough.

Edited by since56

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Ozzie reiticent regarding Rios: "I don't kick a guy in the nuts when he's down."

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

When asked odd ? whether he could pitch 4 days in row Frasor didnt miss beat: "I was taught in a pennant race u pitch til u tear something"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Interesting early work at U.S. Cellular: Brent Lillibridge working w/coaches at first base. Start your trade rumors now.

Meh. If Dunn is DHing & Konerko is playing 1b, this way you can bring in a pinch runner for PK, & Lilli can stay in the game and play 1b. Teahen was the 3rd 1st basemen. Phil Rogers with some outstanding journalism once again.