2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
I saw this while stuck in traffic this morning. Absolutely awesome.

Phenomenal cartoon.

And KW thought it wise to pick up this guy and his salary a few years ago.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some good quotes in here about Rios from Ozzie in chicago tribune. He's not a happy camper according to Oz, but Oz gives a great line about telling Rios to do something to prove his worth. If Rios thinks it's wise to have that horrific batting stance, I don't see how he's ever gonna hit again.

Also a nice note at how hot Danks II is in the notes at the bottom.

CHICAGO — Alex Rios’ time on the White Sox bench could be brief if not finished.

With three left-handed starters on the horizon, Rios will be back in the lineup Saturday after sitting the last two games, although he appears to be in a platoon with Alejandro De Aza — at best.

Rios and manager Ozzie Guillen spoke about the veteran’s sitting and “we’re very clear about it, very clear,” Guillen said.

“Alex is not a happy camper. I don’t expect him to be,” Guillen said. “We wish he was playing better. ... I talked to him (and said), ’Give me some bullets, give me something (so) people don’t criticize me because you’re playing.’

“He has to look himself in the mirror too. ... I’m not benching people when they’re playing well.”

Rios, who declined to comment, is hitting .208 and just .147 in the last 17 games.

New first things: Long before the start of Friday’s game, utility infielder/outfielder Brent Lillibridge was working on ground balls and throwing to second base — from first base.

“I mean, when the opportunity arises and we have to pinch-hit for Paulie (Konerko), I have to be ready to come in,” he said with a laugh.

Lillibridge has started 31 games this season, one at second base and the others at the three outfield positions. But he has played sparingly lately, hitting just .176 in his last 30 games.

“Any way I can try to get in the lineup,” he said. “I have to do what they want.”

Extra innings: Dayan Viciedo has begun taking batting practice at Triple-A Charlotte after missing several games with a bruised thumb. ... Doug Davis, released by the Cubs, is 1-1 with a 1.50 ERA at Charlotte. ... During a seven-game hitting streak at Charlotte, Jordan Danks was 10-for-21 with two homers and five RBIs. ... Before the acquisition of Oak Forest’s Jason Frasor, the last Illinois natives to play for the Sox were Ryan Bukvich (Naperville), Mike Myers (Arlington Heights) and Bret Prinz (Chicago Heights) in 2007.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 04:43 AM)
blah rios is playing tomorrow then UGH :(

wouldn't be so bad if he didn't suck so much in the OF this year

Hopefully he'll be fired up and blast 3 hits and knock in four ribbies.

Funny how we never expect a day like that from any of our hitters not named Paulie or Carlos or Lexi on rare occasion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
Some good quotes in here about Rios from Ozzie in chicago tribune. He's not a happy camper according to Oz, but Oz gives a great line about telling Rios to do something to prove his worth. If Rios thinks it's wise to have that horrific batting stance, I don't see how he's ever gonna hit again.

Also a nice note at how hot Danks II is in the notes at the bottom.

CHICAGO — Alex Rios’ time on the White Sox bench could be brief if not finished.

With three left-handed starters on the horizon, Rios will be back in the lineup Saturday after sitting the last two games, although he appears to be in a platoon with Alejandro De Aza — at best.

Rios and manager Ozzie Guillen spoke about the veteran’s sitting and “we’re very clear about it, very clear,” Guillen said.

“Alex is not a happy camper. I don’t expect him to be,” Guillen said. “We wish he was playing better. ... I talked to him (and said), ’Give me some bullets, give me something (so) people don’t criticize me because you’re playing.’

“He has to look himself in the mirror too. ... I’m not benching people when they’re playing well.”

Rios, who declined to comment, is hitting .208 and just .147 in the last 17 games.

New first things: Long before the start of Friday’s game, utility infielder/outfielder Brent Lillibridge was working on ground balls and throwing to second base — from first base.

“I mean, when the opportunity arises and we have to pinch-hit for Paulie (Konerko), I have to be ready to come in,” he said with a laugh.

Lillibridge has started 31 games this season, one at second base and the others at the three outfield positions. But he has played sparingly lately, hitting just .176 in his last 30 games.

“Any way I can try to get in the lineup,” he said. “I have to do what they want.”

Extra innings: Dayan Viciedo has begun taking batting practice at Triple-A Charlotte after missing several games with a bruised thumb. ... Doug Davis, released by the Cubs, is 1-1 with a 1.50 ERA at Charlotte. ... During a seven-game hitting streak at Charlotte, Jordan Danks was 10-for-21 with two homers and five RBIs. ... Before the acquisition of Oak Forest’s Jason Frasor, the last Illinois natives to play for the Sox were Ryan Bukvich (Naperville), Mike Myers (Arlington Heights) and Bret Prinz (Chicago Heights) in 2007.

Well the ball is now in Alex's court. This team is better with him playing like a major league CF, but he has to show that he can do that.

Lester, Andrew Miller and CC Sabathia.

At least 3 lefties coming up over our next six games.

So Rios will get YET ANOTHER chance to establish himself in the line-up. Wonder where Dunn will hit? Probably 3-4-5 again. Ozzie's nothing, if not predictable.

Lester/Humber Slight Advantage to Red Sox

A.Miller/Buehrle Advantage White Sox

Sabathia/Peavy Big advantage to Yankees

Hughes/Danks Big advantage to White Sox

Burnett/Floyd ??? WHO KNOWS, Slight advantage to White Sox

Colon or Nova/Humber ??? (I think today's start will give us a lot better idea the direction the rest of Humber's season will go)

No Freddy Garcia, who's actually pitched very well (3.08 ERA) for the Yankees this past month. Buehrle doesn't get to face the hated Yankees...seems he always misses out going against them, but maybe not the best match-up for Mark.

Other good news is Liriano pitched on Friday for the Twins, which means we shouldn't see him next weekend.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
Hopefully he'll be fired up and blast 3 hits and knock in four ribbies.

Funny how we never expect a day like that from any of our hitters not named Paulie or Carlos or Lexi on rare occasion.

He hasn't had 3 TOTAL ribbies in his last 100+ AB's.

I think one RBI would be pretty optimistic at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
scottmerkin Scott Merkin

In a team-first, veteran move, Rios declined comment about his reduced playing time. "I would just rather keep it quiet," Rios said

Better than I expected.

Maybe this kick in the ass will motivate him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Interesting early work at U.S. Cellular: Brent Lillibridge working w/coaches at first base. Start your trade rumors now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
Meh. If Dunn is DHing & Konerko is playing 1b, this way you can bring in a pinch runner for PK, & Lilli can stay in the game and play 1b. Teahen was the 3rd 1st basemen. Phil Rogers with some outstanding journalism once again.

God Phil Rogers is a dumbass.

More versatile Lilli is awesome.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 06:34 AM)
Lillibridge hitting .276 instead of .176 over the last 30 games would be MUCH more awesome.

And you'd like a MUCH bigger target for Ramirez and whoever's playing 3B to throw at. Hopefully he's practicing catching Alexei at 1B.

Can't say I disagree with this.

Just for giggles...

The Tigers have 56 games left. They are 31-25 in their last 56. If they match that, they finish 87-75.

The Sox have 58 games left. They are 32-26 in their last 58. If they match that, they finish 84-78.

The Twins have 56 games left. They are 33-23 in their last 56. If they match that, they finish 83-79.

The Indians have 59 games left. They are 23-36 in their last 59. If they match that, they finish 75-87.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Just for giggles...

The Tigers have 56 games left. They are 31-25 in their last 56. If they match that, they finish 87-75.

The Sox have 58 games left. They are 32-26 in their last 58. If they match that, they finish 84-78.

The Twins have 56 games left. They are 33-23 in their last 56. If they match that, they finish 83-79.

The Indians have 59 games left. They are 23-36 in their last 59. If they match that, they finish 75-87.

AL Central = NFC West

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:35 AM)
If you are going to bunt then make sure the guy bunting can bunt. Coaching some in this area might help. How about making sure the pitchers hold on base runners better? This can also be done with coaching. Hold the coaches involved responsible for preparing the players to execute.

Coaching and preperation are not so good.

How much of this is neglected in the minors? Executing fundamentals should exist before coming to the majors. I think it's evident that this was never a priority to Kenny. The minors could use some overhaul. That is Kenny's responsibility.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
How much of this is neglected in the minors? Executing fundamentals should exist before coming to the majors. I think it's evident that this was never a priority to Kenny. The minors could use some overhaul. That is Kenny's responsibility.

Problem is...how many of the guys who are our problem bunters came up through our minors? The guys I hate seeing bunt are guys like Alexei, Beckham, Rios, AJ. Out of those, there's what, 4 months of White Sox minor league time there?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Problem is...how many of the guys who are our problem bunters came up through our minors? The guys I hate seeing bunt are guys like Alexei, Beckham, Rios, AJ. Out of those, there's what, 4 months of White Sox minor league time there?

AJ can bunt...oh where did he come from? He's the best base runner as far as brains.

It still doesn't remove the this is and always will be a fundamentally inept organization under the current GM. They also scouted those guys before the came here.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
AJ can bunt...oh where did he come from? He's the best base runner as far as brains.

It still doesn't remove the this is and always will be a fundamentally inept organization under the current GM. They also scouted those guys before the came here.

Decisions to acquire people should be made based on whether or not they can bunt?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Ken Rosenthal

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#WhiteSox seeking rotation depth. Traded Jackson to save money, now concerned they're too thin. #tradedeadline #MLB

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Err. Okay.

If any moves are made to trade for a starter then they need to fire Kenny right on the spot. Seriously, you had 6 starters then a few days later after you trade one you need another starter. Now I know Kenny loves moving prospects out the door but for the love of god.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
If any moves are made to trade for a starter then they need to fire Kenny right on the spot. Seriously, you had 6 starters then a few days later after you trade one you need another starter. Now I know Kenny loves moving prospects out the door but for the love of god.

What part of needing to move Jackson and Teahen to save $10M has anything

to do with wanting more SP depth?