2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Stupid, stupid tweet by Rosenthal.

Yeah, everyone in baseball knows about the issues with Peavy and Humber in the 5th/6th innings now.

But he had to get something helpful back for Jackson (before the deadline), more than just getting a measly Type B sandwich pick which JUST might impact our team 3-4 years from now, but probably never. You can't fault his aggressiveness here, just getting rid of Teahen alone might have been worth it financially.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)

Yeah, everyone in baseball knows about the issues with Peavy and Humber in the 5th/6th innings now.

But he had to get something helpful back for Jackson (before the deadline), more than just getting a measly Type B sandwich pick which JUST might impact our team 3-4 years from now, but probably never. You can't fault his aggressiveness here, just getting rid of Teahen alone might have been worth it financially.

All the more reason to get another bull pen arm. 6 man rotation has no effect on those two.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)

Thank you. The overreaction to that stupid tweet by some here and at WSI is ridiculous.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
So let me get this straight. We're all in still, but managed to weaken our rotation (not saying the Jackson trade was bad), and leave huge holes at 3B, CF, and DH. Baffling to me.

Kenny got suckered into thinking this team had a chance after winning 2 of 3 against the Tigers. Those two wins were such fool's gold.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Kenny got suckered into thinking this team had a chance after winning 2 of 3 against the Tigers. Those two wins were such fool's gold.

The sad thing is they should have swept the Tigers.

It would be logical to assume that Danks and Buehrle have had enough of our offense the last couple of seasons to drive them both to other teams. Anyone would be driven to drink watching Beckham, Teahen and Rios for the past two seasons and now Dunn (and Pierre the first half) this year. It's infuriating for us watching or listening at home, imagine being in that clubhouse everyday? We've been dealing with the same exact issues for roughly two full seasons...or 3, if you want to count 2009's "lost season" and they have to be exasperated to see not a single change with our offensive philosophy or coaching staff.

And pitching on eggshells probably hasn't helped Humber at all the last month.

We just have no choice to hope and pray that Humber and Peavy can somehow turn things around, but reasons for optimism are dwindling at this point.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)

We actually won 4 of 6 vs. them in a short period of time, didn't we?

As far as Mark's having no confidence, well, he's a smart veteran. He knows this offense won't magically turn around and guys like Rios have a way of deflating a whole team. Rios doesn't care and that doesn't cut it. Really, Oz and KW should bench him for good. He doesn't care. He's a cancer so to speak. Let DeAza play every day even if he hits .095.

If Dayan's thumb is healed, no excuse he's not brought up for the Yankee series.

I'd stick his butt at third base since Oz ain't gonna bench Juan. I guess I'd even go for Juan in center at this point if Dayan could play.

"(Dunn's) a good guy, a very, very good guy. He's going through a tremendous slump," Thomas said. "He's never seen anything like this. No one else has. He's going to come out of it.

"I told him the other day, 'It's OK to punch in a single every now and then. If they want to shift on you, punch the ball through the shortstop. There's nothing wrong with it.' "

And Rios, who played with Thomas in Toronto?

"Right now, he's fighting himself," Thomas said. "I would change that stance. We talked about it the other day. There's nothing wrong with going in the cage and messing around with it."

So is there a hitting coach career in Thomas' future?

"We'll see. One of these years ... you never know," he said.

Wonder how Walker feels about this? I remember when they got Rios in 2009, Walker was very clear they weren't going to try anything to change him in mid-season...that the whole focus was going to be on the offseason and spring training 2010. He seems so wedded to that awful stance, but the hand position/s, stepping into the bucket, pulling his head, UGH. With that frame, he should be generating big-time power and yet now he's nothing more than a more inept version of Brian Anderson offensively with an even surlier attitude and sense of self-worth. Maybe that's what happens to anyone who thinks he deserves $12.5 million per season just for merely showing up to work each day.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
There's nothing wrong with going in the cage and messing around with it."

I wonder how many guys actually go out of their way to work in the cages. Back in 2005 towards the end of the season Rowand got up early and spent a great deal of time in the cages.

The lack of stuff happening at the trade deadline and the fact that the Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Red Sox really tempered my enthusiasm for this team. That and the fact that Ozzie is still putting Rios out there regardless of what KW said. The next four games will be very telling for this team. They have to split this series at a minimum. I don't have to say what this board will look like if the Yankees sweep.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
"(Dunn's) a good guy, a very, very good guy. He's going through a tremendous slump," Thomas said. "He's never seen anything like this. No one else has. He's going to come out of it.

"I told him the other day, 'It's OK to punch in a single every now and then. If they want to shift on you, punch the ball through the shortstop. There's nothing wrong with it.' "

And Rios, who played with Thomas in Toronto?

"Right now, he's fighting himself," Thomas said. "I would change that stance. We talked about it the other day. There's nothing wrong with going in the cage and messing around with it."

So is there a hitting coach career in Thomas' future?

"We'll see. One of these years ... you never know," he said.

Wonder how Walker feels about this? I remember when they got Rios in 2009, Walker was very clear they weren't going to try anything to change him in mid-season...that the whole focus was going to be on the offseason and spring training 2010. He seems so wedded to that awful stance, but the hand position/s, stepping into the bucket, pulling his head, UGH. With that frame, he should be generating big-time power and yet now he's nothing more than a more inept version of Brian Anderson offensively with an even surlier attitude and sense of self-worth. Maybe that's what happens to anyone who thinks he deserves $12.5 million per season just for merely showing up to work each day.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

One of the first things I thought when we got Rios was how JD benefited from Thomas' advice and became a HR hitter here.

Yeah, the Big Hurt should be our hitting coach right now. I'd fully jump on the Fire Greg Walker bandwagon AND the Fire Ozzie bandwagon if I knew Frank was an option. You know he'd have Walt Hriniak assisting him in some capacity, and he had the job before, so it's not like Frank would be totally on his own.