2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

De Aza cares at least.

That was one enjoyable highlight from last night.

Probably will be benched again for Rios because of the back of Alex's baseball card.

Rios 4/16 with a triple and 4 RBI's against Colon. That guarantees him CF, I guess, despite what De Aza did last night.

Or is Nova starting instead? In that case, there would be ZERO reason to start Rios over Alejandro.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
In that case, there would be ZERO reason to start Rios over Alejandro.

Really, it doesn't matter who the opposing starter is right now. Even the Tribune is making a game of logging in detail each of Rios's defensive miscues.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...mer-mayor-daley

CHICAGO – If they White Sox really do appreciate former Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley they have a funny way of showing it.

On Mayor Daley Night, the White Sox were clubbed by the Yankees 18-7, trailing by as much as 12 runs after just three innings.

Daley participated in an on-field ceremony before the game, listened to some scoreboard tributes in the early innings, made an appearance in the broadcast booth and seemed to disappear as the roof caved in on the White Sox.

“I just told the coaching staff Mayor Daley never will forget his day here, it was very special,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “He left in the third inning. Wow.”

Before the game Guillen was in more of a mood to reflect on Daley’s 22-year tenure as mayor.

“I think Mayor Daley put Chicago back on the map,” Guillen said. “This is one of the best cities in the [united] States, a very fun city to come to. This man did a tremendous job for the city and the last thing we can do is [honor him]. This man, and his family too, has been great for the city. Hopefully the new mayor follows in his steps and makes the city still the same [and even] better.”

whitesox Chicago White Sox

Don't miss our specially-priced Patio Party & Lower Reserved tickets 4 #WhiteSox games vs Royals, Indians & Rangers! http://atmlb.com/pbeOT7

It's sad and scary that it's come to this. I had such high hopes for 2011, and we all know KW and Co. did, too. JR opened the pocket books and on-paper (as usual), the team looked so f***ing legit.

Sad face.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)

Don't miss our specially-priced Patio Party & Lower Reserved tickets 4 #WhiteSox games vs Royals, Indians & Rangers! http://atmlb.com/pbeOT7

It's sad and scary that it's come to this. I had such high hopes for 2011, and we all know KW and Co. did, too. JR opened the pocket books and on-paper (as usual), the team looked so f***ing legit.

Sad face.

The Sox DH is hitting .165. Not .265 or even .365, but .165 over 300+ AB. He is making Mark Kotsay look like a great option.

The Sox CF is batting .205. He doesn't hustle, misplays balls, simply does not care.

Between them they make about $25 million and have given the production expected out of a 25th man, 400k a year ballplayer.

At some point, someone had to be held accountable for the roster and KW is in charge of that. KW is in charge of the coaching staff at the end of the day. He has taken this franchise and taken way too many steps backwards.

I feel like the Seattle Mariners. They brought in a lot of high priced talented hitters and nearly all of it has been garbage. A team with great pitching but hitting that wouldn't cut it at AAA. One truly good player on each team Ichiro=Konerko. It is just painful.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)

Sad face.

I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be. No question this season to this point has been a colossal failure, considering the resources that were pumped into this product and the lack of anything even remotely resembling a powerhouse team in this division. But there is some finality that, if you look at it how I'm looking at it, could be a good thing for this organization in the long run. Let's face facts: 2005 was a fluke. Were the White Sox the unquestioned best team that season? Yes! But that was not the beginning or the genesis of this new-age era of White Sox baseball, a time in which we were going to go on this sustained run of excellence over a 5-6 year period. We had a ton go right that year. Yes, I know you (not you, speaking general terms) could make the counter claim that any team that wins the World Series benefits froma super-sized amount of good fortune. And that would be true. But we, IMO, had an abnormal amount of good fortune/luck that year.

Even 2008 could be classified as a fluke to some degree. Again, let's face facts: those last two games of the regular season against the Indians and Tigers were 'gimme' games. Neither team gave a s*** whether they won or lost. They just had to show up and pretend they cared. We beat Bryan Bullington and Armando Gallaraga. And in an act of mercy from a baseball god somewhere high in the sky, we won a coin flip a few weeks earlier in which we got a home game against the team that's owned us the way Michael owned the Cavs. That essentially saved the season. Because we all know what happens if we have to go to the Dome for #163. With this year's failure, there's no longer any justification for continuing with the status quo. Whether KW or Jerry like it or not, they're going to HAVE to change how they run this thing. And that's a big positive for me. I'm not going to get into who should be fired, sent to the minors, traded, designated for assignment, etc. But change is imminent. And I'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be. No question this season to this point has been a colossal failure, considering the resources that were pumped into this product and the lack of anything even remotely resembling a powerhouse team in this division. But there is some finality that, if you look at it how I'm looking at it, could be a good thing for this organization in the long run. Let's face facts: 2005 was a fluke. Were the White Sox the unquestioned best team that season? Yes! But that was not the beginning or the genesis of this new-age era of White Sox baseball, a time in which we were going to go on this sustained run of excellence over a 5-6 year period. We had a ton go right that year. Yes, I know you (not you, speaking general terms) could make the counter claim that any team that wins the World Series benefits froma super-sized amount of good fortune. And that would be true. But we, IMO, had an abnormal amount of good fortune/luck that year.

Even 2008 could be classified as a fluke to some degree. Again, let's face facts: those last two games of the regular season against the Indians and Tigers were 'gimme' games. Neither team gave a s*** whether they won or lost. They just had to show up and pretend they cared. We beat Bryan Bullington and Armando Gallaraga. And in an act of mercy from a baseball god somewhere high in the sky, we won a coin flip a few weeks earlier in which we got a home game against the team that's owned us the way Michael owned the Cavs. That essentially saved the season. Because we all know what happens if we have to go to the Dome for #163. With this year's failure, there's no longer any justification for continuing with the status quo. Whether KW or Jerry like it or not, they're going to HAVE to change how they run this thing. And that's a big positive for me. I'm not going to get into who should be fired, sent to the minors, traded, designated for assignment, etc. But change is imminent. And I'm looking forward to it.

Change may be imminent, but seriously, we are not playing with the house's money any more like we were after 2005.

This team could be in for a long long rebuilding road. This season may be our best season in a long time.

I don't think any White Sox fans are ready for that pain. Let's say we have 4-6 straight seasons of sub .500 baseball. Ugh.

I'm just saying the change you want may result in a way worse pitching staff.

Coupled with our rich underachieving offense that may result in us being the worst team in baseball for a long time.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Change may be imminent, but seriously, we are not playing with the house's money any more like we were after 2005.

This team could be in for a long long rebuilding road. This season may be our best season in a long time.

I don't think any White Sox fans are ready for that pain. Let's say we have 4-6 straight seasons of sub .500 baseball. Ugh.

Coupled with our rich underachieving offense that may result in us being the worst team in baseball for a long time.

Well, they're going to win 75 games with a 127 mil payroll this year. Cleveland and KC are coming on organizationally. The Twins always have a consistent approach and it works for them when they don't have injuries up the yingyang like this year.

They may finish under .500 for a few years no matter what they do. At the very least, they can make some solid organizational decisions that will pay dividends the second half of this decade.

This team could be in for a long long rebuilding road. This season may be our best season in a long time.I don't think any White Sox fans are ready for that pain. Let's say we have 4-6 straight seasons of sub .500 baseball. Ugh.

I know what you're getting at here, but this season is not good. I'd rather see a young team full of guys trying hard than the crap I'm seeing now.

On a side note, I never thought the team would be this bad without Konerko. It's amazing to me how different the team seems without him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Well, they're going to win 75 games with a 127 mil payroll this year. Cleveland and KC are coming on organizationally. The Twins always have a consistent approach and it works for them when they don't have injuries up the yingyang like this year.

They may finish under .500 for a few years no matter what they do. At the very least, they can make some solid organizational decisions that will pay dividends the second half of this decade.

Which is what they really need to do. I truly wonder what KW can do, however, with the number of bad contracts the Sox have. Ridding the team of Rios would be a huge step. Even if the Sox had to pay 50%+ of his remaining salary.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
I know what you're getting at here, but this season is not good. I'd rather see a young team full of guys trying hard than the crap I'm seeing now.

On a side note, I never thought the team would be this bad without Konerko. It's amazing to me how different the team seems without him.

BUT OZZIE AND RONGEY SAID ONE PLAYER DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!1111!!1!!!!11!!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Why all the doom and gloom? The Tigers are losing right now. We can gain a game tonight. There's plenty of time left. Dunn and Rios are bound to turn it around any day now and Paulie should be back.

This^^^

De Aza will deliver us to the promised land

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Which is what they really need to do. I truly wonder what KW can do, however, with the number of bad contracts the Sox have. Ridding the team of Rios would be a huge step. Even if the Sox had to pay 50%+ of his remaining salary.

The wierd thing about our bad contracts is...they're not for people who are so old you'd say that they're finished. That makes a couple things happen. If you get a brief spurt of decent performance out of either of the main problem guys next year, they might suddenly become more moveable than they are right now, to the point where a team might even gamble on their whole contract. On the other hand...it's hard to look at a guy who's 32 or younger and say "clearly he's finished so we should spend $25 million to get him off the team".

I used to kid around about the MPD. But now I'm starting to wonder. Greg, how many times have you in the second or third inning of a game in which we're down 2-3 runs say something like, "Fire everybody! This team sucks. No changes at all? Rios? Dunn? Oh my. They're cheating the fans. Start over. Sorry, I'm leaving. I can't watch anymore"? MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!! Who cares what Sox fans are ready for. We have a fickle fan base in which we have to win the World Series to consistently fill the park. Those f***ers can kiss my ass. But for the loyal fans, how could you not call for a change in organizational philosophy at some point? KW/Ozzie got their 4-5 year free pass due to '05. That's it. Enough is enough.

I'm ready for it. If we had begun the rebuilding in 2007, as myself and others wanted, we would have been through this 4-6 year window you're throwing out.

Don't you feel that we just keep delaying the inevitable? What, are we going to have this same discussion in four years?

If we do happen to undergo a 5 year period of suck and attendance suffers, once we shape up our system and develop some all-star caliber talent and contend one season, attendance will shoot back up and we'll be able to sign FAs. That's what we have that KC and Pittsburgh don't have -- a large fanbase (even if they are fickle). And if takes longer than 5 years, so be it. We have to learn how to develop.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Why all the doom and gloom? The Tigers are losing right now. We can gain a game tonight. There's plenty of time left. Dunn and Rios are bound to turn it around any day now and Paulie should be back.

:notworthy :lolhitting