2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Encouraging comment from Beckham, who finished 2-for-4: "Today is the best I’ve felt in a long time... (more)

(continued) ... Just really uplifting to have three swings that were just locked in."

Watching the game, 100% agree with Gordon there. He moved his hands a little bit higher and adjusted his feet position a bit as well. Was able to both turn on a fastball and double into the LF gap and wait back a little bit and drive another ball to RF.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
That's a great last line. Not a bad take.

Should be interesting what the quiet Mr. Reinsdorf will say about this season and the Dayan thing. Also should be interesting how he handles Oz and KW's dual departures.

Jerry will say nothing unless he fires both. And he's likely to only have to remove one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
Watching the game, 100% agree with Gordon there. He moved his hands a little bit higher and adjusted his feet position a bit as well. Was able to both turn on a fastball and double into the LF gap and wait back a little bit and drive another ball to RF.

This is what I wonder about... Where did that swing go? With his hand position anything up or on the outer half has to go to RCF. He quit doing it, and his average dropped 50 points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
[/b]

This is what I wonder about... Where did that swing go? With his hand position anything up or on the outer half has to go to RCF. He quit doing it, and his average dropped 50 points.

If you listened carefully to Wimpy yesterday, it sounded like he thinks that's exactly what Gordon is trying to do...except that Gordon is overdoing it. He was talking about how Gordon would allow just about every pitch to get too deep on him, he was waiting too long on pitches while trying to drive everything to RF, and therefore couldn't catch up with a decent fastball when he saw it (which sounds like what we've been saying all year).

David Shapiro posted to Daniel Shapiro

see? Ozzie knows what he's doing. Dunn is done. Rios has become a late inning defensive replacement. If only they hadn't sucked all year-you wouldn't be blaming Ozzie.

49 minutes ago · Like · · See Friendship

Daniel Shapiro ‎"We don't have a place to play Viciedo"

Ozzie benched Dayan last year, he wouldn't have played him this year.

Rios has been starting, he was benched for two games.

45 minutes ago · Like

Daniel Shapiro Ozzie went into yesterdays 9-3 win postgame mad...because Dayan produced and made him look like an idiot. He wants to go to Florida and it's fairly obvious at this point.

45 minutes ago · Like

Daniel Shapiro Also, his idiotic offspring doesn't help. In fact, if Oney had never created the KW-Ozzie rift, I say we have 2 more Division titles.

And Jim Thome.

44 minutes ago · Like

David Shapiro you're crazy! And it shows that you can't think calmly and rationally about this because you keep coming up with more points-it didn't all come as one post. Look dude, you would've complained all year that he WASN'T playing Rios and Dunn if he hadn't. "Oh yeah, they're good-but why would he sit Rios and Dunn!?" you would've screamed. He's mad at the situation, not at Dayan (though perhaps he's a bit perturbed with Dayan's parents for naming their kid Dayan). You certainly cannot hold Ozzie responsible for Oney's actions, either!

37 minutes ago · Like

Daniel Shapiro I'd give Ozzie one more year if they make...or barely miss...the playoffs if he would fire his hitting coach. Morel, Beckham, and Dunn all looked like different batters before spending an offseason with Walker.

Its no coincidence that Viciedo, De Aza, and Flowers are the only non-PK batters who can take a pitch.

36 minutes ago · Like

David Shapiro Deej, come one. The batters hit for themselves. You can't possibly begin to blame Walker for Dunn, Morel and Beckham not taking pitches! Maybe they could be hitting better and perhaps a different hitting coach would aid that pursuit-but you didn't have a problem with Walker from 04-07 when the sox were ripping the cover off the ball. Dunn is old, Rios is a fraud, pitchers have figured out Beckham and he needs to adjust, and Morel is a struggling rookie. You can't have it both ways-if Paulie is hitting well, then you can't blame Ozzie/Walker for everyone else not hitting well.

32 minutes ago · Like

Daniel Shapiro From 2004 to 2010 Adam Dunn was THE most consistent player in baseball. Just because you threw s*** against the wall and it stuck does not mean you have more baseball knowledge than 99% of baseball writers.

Rios I've wanted benched since May. Last year was good Rios, this year, f***ing awful. He doesn't try. Ozzie in 2004-2008 would have held him accountable. Now he doesn't. Kenny straight up tells him "You can play De Aza instead" so Ozzie benches Rios TWO games.

Ozzie hates younger players not named Jerry Owens or Gordon Beckham. Morel has 2 hits? He sits the next game for Omar. It's happened all year. Sean Tracey? Dan Hudson (who you said would be awful and is now an ace of the D-Backs staff, one of Kenny's four bad trades)? Viciedo last year? Morel this year? Ozzie protects his veterans, not his young guys.

The Sox ripped the cover off the ball in 07? What? They sucked ass that year. And you can blame Walker. He was good when he had Dye, Konerko, Thome, and Crede thumping the ball, but not since '06 have they had a competent offense. Let's look at the resumes for all the hitters on this team: Juan Pierre has remained about the same as he always has been, decent. Alexei has regressed massively from being a Silver Slugger. Konerko is just a professional hitter. Dunn was the most consistent slugger in baseball for six years, then fell off historically when he came here. Beckham when he came up was a gap-to-gap hitter. Now he's scared. Morel, same thing. Rios was a 2x All-Star because of his bat. Quentin is just streaky.

When you have 3 guys from AAA, who all give massive praise to the AAA hitting coach, show more patience, that's an indictment of the hitting coach.

You fail to give me any solid, baseball arguments because your favorite baseball player of all time, who by the way, while a master with the glove, was the worst offensive SS in baseball during his tenure (A career OPS of .626 is just bad, especially over 20 years. Put the ball in play or not) has went from being an aggressive, intelligent, GENIUS manager from '04-'08 to a scared, loudmouth who refuses to do the obvious so that whenever he does win a game, he can look smart. Why? Because he hates players who didn't hit like him, slappy singles. You can have one of those types of players on a team if the team bombs home runs (See: Podsednik and the '05 squad), but because Ozzie had Pierre-power, he dislikes sluggers, which are crucial to the White Sox success because any year they go to the playoffs they are in the Top 5 in home runs.

And it's not like KW avoids any blame. The Swisher trades we're bad. Gio as an ace, Fautino De Los Santos is the missing arm in the pen, and Sweeney ain't half bad. Jackson for Hudson AND Holmberg (A Daniel and David combo) was bad. Hudson is a top pitcher in baseball this year and Holmberg is a top lefty SP prospect. The Dunn signing, no. No one in baseball saw risk in that except your magical ball. Rios was a high-risk/high-reward waiver claim. Peavy deal gets done 99 out of 100 times at the time. We gave up what? Clayton Richard? A mediocre starter for a Cy Young winner who had a freak injury? But Kenny's biggest failure is to not sell off Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Frasor, Crain, Ohman, Thornton at this deadline, when a King's Ransom was given out for Ubaldo Jimenez, who has one good stretch of starts in his career and a dying fastball.

But every year, Ozzie is consistently given the most talented AL Central team, except '07. We won in '05 (due to career years and Ozzie being a genius manager) and barely got in in '08 (because of Danks and Thome stepping up).

And I sure as hell will hold Ozzie responsible for Oney and the rest of the Guillen Family Circus until he publicly tells them to shut the f*** up.

Me and my brother on FB.

Living in Minneapolis, I only get Sox games on WGN or ESPN. Since they're not on either today for the game against the Twins, I just figured I wouldn't be able to watch...until I was flipping through the channels and remembered that I probably get the Twins game here. Oops.

We are beating on the Twins now...that is sweet. Just have to keep going after these guys. The Twins shouldn't scare us this year. lol

Hoping for a long long losing streak by the Tiggs. And we need to continue our winning ways. A lot of games now against AL Central. Think it is 27 more in a row!

I am viewing this as kinda like playoffs games since we aren't guaranteed any games in October (end of Sept) at this moment. Subject to change. lol!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
I was listening to Sciosc being interviewed today. Man is our manager embarassing. I can't wait till we have a manager who isn't a complete ass clown.

Ouch.

Ass clown? Is that hyperbole with just a blanket statement like that and no other comments about why you feel this way in relation to what Scoscia (sp) said?? I happen to think Oz is funny as hell. If somehow the Sox get hot in September ... man is it gonna be embarrassing when they show him the door at the end of the season.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Ouch.

Ass clown? Is that hyperbole with just a blanket statement like that and no other comments about why you feel this way in relation to what Scoscia (sp) said?? I happen to think Oz is funny as hell. If somehow the Sox get hot in September ... man is it gonna be embarrassing when they show him the door at the end of the season.

Ozzie can be entertaining, but being funny doesn't win ball games.

If the Sox get hot and make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie is back next year. If the Sox get hot and still finish a couple games out, there's a better chance he goes. But I'm not sure he's going anywhere, regardless of what happens this year. But if he is shown the door, whether the Sox finish strong or not, it would not be embarrassing to the Sox. Well, I take that back. It would be embarrassing that it took them this long to get rid of him.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 05:16 AM)
Ozzie can be entertaining, but being funny doesn't win ball games.

If the Sox get hot and make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie is back next year. If the Sox get hot and still finish a couple games out, there's a better chance he goes. But I'm not sure he's going anywhere, regardless of what happens this year. But if he is shown the door, whether the Sox finish strong or not, it would not be embarrassing to the Sox. Well, I take that back. It would be embarrassing that it took them this long to get rid of him.

I wonder how important it is to Ozzie that he get paid for 2012 from Sox AND get his deal with Marlins?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Ouch.

If you were in Chicago today and listened to the radio you would know why Guillen should be fired. He proclaimed that he is the face of the franchise. What a f***ing egotistical moron and slap in the face to Mark and Paul. Any good pub by maybe getting back in this race is erased by this moron and his sidekick scribe joe.

Ozzie was completely contradicting himself yesterday. In one breath he was saying that he blames myself for the team failing, yet in the next breath he was saying he wouldn't have done anything different because there wasn't anything he could have done differently.

It's not possible for both of those things to be true.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
Ozzie was completely contradicting himself yesterday. In one breath he was saying that he blames myself for the team failing, yet in the next breath he was saying he wouldn't have done anything different because there wasn't anything he could have done differently.

It's not possible for both of those things to be true.

He's channeling Terry Bevington.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
Random question for everyone here...

Can you think of a single instance, in the past few years, where Ozzie had someone swinging on 3-0? I can't think of one. Hard to win at poker when you tell the opponent you are never going to call a bluff.

Only a few times. Quentin did vs Angels this year in the 8th inning, and he popped up to right field. For someone like Konerko, you'd think a 3-0 fastball would be perfect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
Only a few times. Quentin did vs Angels this year in the 8th inning, and he popped up to right field. For someone like Konerko, you'd think a 3-0 fastball would be perfect.

It's not just 3-0, either. It's 0-0. Our hitters consistently take first-pitch fastball and miss out on the best pitch they are going to see for the entire at-bat.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
It's not just 3-0, either. It's 0-0. Our hitters consistently take first-pitch fastball and miss out on the best pitch they are going to see for the entire at-bat.

Bah...on that one I'm indifferent. That's a particular batter's strategy. A guy like AJ swings first pitch all the time. Ozzie isn't giving people 0-0 take signs very often, but he almost always gives the 3-0 red light.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
I guess it wil all even out and maybe clean out during the off season. The only caveat I would have is to be careful what you wish for.

Exactly. Chances are Ozzie will be a far better manager than whomever replaces him. I think it's too late however, for Oz or KW to save their jobs. They both will go or it will look like Jerry is favoring one over the other.