2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to continue to be optimistic about this team, based only on the idea that I don't believe in the Indians and the Twins and Tigers have almost sucked or equally sucked as much as the Sox.

And that's not to excuse the White Sox play this month, they've sucked. However, there is zero anybody can do to go back and change that, so have to look at the position they are in at the current moment. I still think with the talent on this team they can turn it around, and they won't even need a ridiculous 25-5 stretch to do it thanks to the other teams in the division.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Pena is so bad that if we had kept Brandon Allen and made him a pitcher, he would be better than Pena.

This was very funny.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)
But that wasn't the intention going into the year. The emergence of Sergio Santos relegated Pena to that duty.

What I honestly don't understand is why they didn't convert him to a starter. I get that he's been absolutely terrible thus far and his overall numbers as a starter were worse than as a reliever, but it seemed to me that he performed relatively well in those spot starts he made - I seem to recall one against KC last year where he had 6 perfect innings and hung up a 5 spot or something in the other.

Either way, he really doesn't deserve another chance. You DFA him and hope that someone bites.

This really needs to happen. Not only does he wholly deserve to be designated for assignment, but he's also the type of guy that plagues the Sox (lots of talent with minimal results). He's perfect to cut loose not only to improve your team by simply subtracting him, but it also sends a message.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Uh, not thank you. Lillibridge hit a HR tonight and made a running catch that Rios never would have made.

I don't want the most talented player starting, I want the midget with a cute goatee because he's easier to root for!

Speaking of the worst case scenario.

I guess it's not having a crowd of over 26,000 again except for the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox.

Indians win yet again in the bottom of the 13th. Orlando Cabrera tonight (no walk off Grand Salami) after Leyland walks two batters intentionally to load the bases with one out and a runner on 3rd. Indians are really executing well with bunts and all facets of the game.

9 games back and falling like a stone.

10 back in the loss column.

Sox are by far the worst team in the league. Can't win at home or on the road.

I mean a 5-4 road trip would be a miracle after this homestand. We're going to be 12, 13, 14 games out by the end of that trip.

QUOTE (since56 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:12 AM)
Watched tonights game. I felt like laughing at times. I felt like crying at times. Was just plain pissed off most of the time.

I watched it too.

I'm constantly totally amazed at how many weak pop ups our guys hit.

And how games just utterly turn to crap and steamroll out of control at some point.

Do you realize since the bullpen implosion when we were 7-4 or whatever, we have had what, one save situation?

Two save situations?

We're not even in games.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
I watched it too.

I'm constantly totally amazed at how many weak pop ups our guys hit.

And how games just utterly turn to crap and steamroll out of control at some point.

Do you realize since the bullpen implosion when we were 7-4 or whatever, we have had what, one save situation?

Two save situations?

We're not even in games.

Yep, this week against the Yankees, the first two.

And the other win was in Tampa Bay, where we won 1 of 4 games to even the season series somehow.

Edited by caulfield12

Yes, it's panic time. No sure-fire options, but here's what I'd do.

Pena (dl), Sale & Morel sent down. Kinney, Infante, and De Aza up.

Lineup v. R.

8 Rios

7 De Aza

9 Quentin

DH Dunn

3 Konerko

5 Teahan

6 Ramirez

2 AJ

4 Beckham

Lineup v. L

8 Rios

5 Lillibridge

9 Quentin

3 Konerko

DH Dunn

6 Ramirez

2 Castro

7 Pierre

4 Beckham

Bullpen Closer: Santos, Setup Thornton, Crain, Middle: Infante, Ohman, Gray, Long: Kinney.

Start Sale in minors.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
Yes, it's panic time. No sure-fire options, but here's what I'd do.

Pena (dl), Sale & Morel sent down. Kinney, Infante, and De Aza up.

Lineup v. R.

8 Rios

7 De Aza

9 Quentin

DH Dunn

3 Konerko

5 Teahan

6 Ramirez

2 AJ

4 Beckham

Lineup v. L

8 Rios

5 Lillibridge

9 Quentin

3 Konerko

DH Dunn

6 Ramirez

2 Castro

7 Pierre

4 Beckham

Bullpen Closer: Santos, Setup Thornton, Crain, Middle: Infante, Ohman, Gray, Long: Kinney.

Start Sale in minors.

You do realize that Lillibridge has very little experience at 3B, and that he's been mostly a SS and 2B his entire career with the Braves?

You do also realize that the team started to get hot when we inserted Vizquel in 2010 and Uribe at the end of 2008....both players who are solid defensively. Teahen's not going to help our "seive-ish" or porous defense get any better. And with the offense not scoring any runs, we'll need to prevent as many runs from scoring as possible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
You do realize that Lillibridge has very little experience at 3B, and that he's been mostly a SS and 2B his entire career with the Braves?

You do also realize that the team started to get hot when we inserted Vizquel in 2010 and Uribe at the end of 2008....both players who are solid defensively. Teahen's not going to help our "seive-ish" or porous defense get any better. And with the offense not scoring any runs, we'll need to prevent as many runs from scoring as possible.

Teahen's defense so far has warranted him getting another chance at third. As far as Vizquel goes, I'd use him as a defensive replacement/spot starter at third. His starts would come mostly when Buehrle pitches. There is no perfect solution.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
Worst record in April in franchise history (while having the highest payroll in franchise history)

That's so pathetic, it's sort of funny.

On another note, in order to win 90 games this year, the Sox will have to play .600 ball the rest of the season. Let's hope it takes less than 90 wins to take this division.