2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
3 of the top 5 teams are under .500 & 4 of the bottom 5 teams have winning % of over .550. Just sayin.

Exactly what I was thinking. It seems like the bottom teams have more wins.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
Rookies beware! While on the other hand, I'm sure the veterans rightfully see this as an empty threat.

I don't know, I got the impression that he was indeed talking about Pierre. If Juan continues to struggle, he may get benched or released.

Morel is probably on the hot seat too though, and I'd have to think T-Pain as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
I don't know, I got the impression that he was indeed talking about Pierre. If Juan continues to struggle, he may get benched or released.

Morel is probably on the hot seat too though, and I'd have to think T-Pain as well.

I would imagine Pena has blisters on his ass.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)

Yeah, Morel is hitting .300 in May and playing excellent defense. Ozzie of course has started benching him in response. He's definitely on the hot seat. Any young guy who performs doesn't deserve to be on this team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
That was a warning to certain players on the team, even though it looks like just a "no comment".

It was also interesting that he mentioned a date. One would think that if several of the players he's eye-balling don't improve by then changes would be made.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Yeah, Morel is hitting .300 in May and playing excellent defense. Ozzie of course has started benching him in response. He's definitely on the hot seat. Any young guy who performs doesn't deserve to be on this team.

The 3-run homerun and excellent defense the other night sealed his fate. How dare he!

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
It was also interesting that he mentioned a date. One would think that if several of the players he's eye-balling don't improve by then changes would be made.

It's going to take KW flat out releasing guys, because you know Ozzie isn't going to bench his favorites.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
The 3-run homerun and excellent defense the other night sealed his fate. How dare he!

He already had his month to prove himself. He didn't do it in that time frame, so he'll likely never get out of Ozzie's doghouse. I imagine that if Beckham hadn't come up and produced immediately a few years ago, he'd be on another team right now.

Perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad thing :lolhitting

QUOTE (knightni @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Do pitchers like Floyd and Garland - with sinker balls - pitch better on short rest?

Sometimes. I believe most Of our staff was better last year on long rest. There was only one guy who wasn't clearly better on extra

Don't know if anyone's posted these but here's the Sox starters' numbers with regular and an extra day's rest:

REST GS  ERA   WHIP   k/9  K/BB

PEAVY

4 - 119 3.82 1.275 8.9 2.86

5 - 81 2.78 1.065 9.2 3.70

BUEHRLE

4 - 186 4.33 1.364 5.0 2.27

5 - 113 3.30 1.201 5.1 2.77

DANKS

4 - 58 3.98 1.294 7.4 2.40

5 - 48 4.31 1.331 6.3 2.27

FLOYD

4 - 64 3.85 1.303 7.3 2.57

5 - 40 5.28 1.424 6.5 2.07

JACKSON

4 - 75 4.27 1.416 6.7 1.94

5 - 51 4.76 1.532 6.6 1.58

A piece of very good news for Gordon Beckham coming from the 2011 season is that he continues to play flawless defense at second base, producing 58 straight errorless games dating back to Aug. 27, 2010 (266 total chances).

As for the bad news, Beckham is 0-for-8 in his last three games and 2-for-22 in his last eight. He is hitting .175 (11-for-63) at home and just .094 (3-for-32) against left-handed pitchers. White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen decided to give Omar Vizquel a start at second on Thursday, riding Vizquel's six-game hitting streak, but didn't seem to be too concerned about Beckham's ongoing battle at the plate.

"The only thing I worry about with Gordon, he strikes out a lot," said Guillen.

Beckham's 36 strikeouts in 143 at-bats were second on the team to Adam Dunn's 49 strikeouts in 129 at-bats before Thursday's game.

"He went through a lot of tough times last year and overcame it, came back and was the player we thought he was going to be," Guillen continued. "But right now, he's striking out quite a few times and that worries me. Besides that, nothing, nothing at all. That's part of the game. Vizquel [is playing] because I need to use him, the way he's swinging the bat."

Today's Merkin

QUOTE (knightni @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
Do pitchers like Floyd and Garland - with sinker balls - pitch better on short rest?

You hear from sinkerball pitchers that they seem to do better when a bit tired. I am not sure why. Maybe when they feel stronger they tend to overthrow their off speed or sinker ball

Sinkerballers historically are worse pitchers early in games and on extended rest. They do better when there arm is a bit fatigued as they don't overthrow and as a result get much better downward sink on there pitches. When they are rested, they'll start to elevate the ball.

I realize that the thread was closed and the posts deleted for a reason, but I'd like to add what I was typing while it was shut down.

I actually think J4L brings a lot to this board, and I'd venture to guess that a fair amount of posters respect his thoughts and what he argues. I'd like to think that people view me in a similar fashion. I definitely understand that it can get annoying. Trust me, sometimes I get tired of heard about Hudson, too :lol:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
I realize that the thread was closed and the posts deleted for a reason, but I'd like to add what I was typing while it was shut down.

I actually think J4L brings a lot to this board, and I'd venture to guess that a fair amount of posters respect his thoughts and what he argues. I'd like to think that people view me in a similar fashion. I definitely understand that it can get annoying. Trust me, sometimes I get tired of heard about Hudson, too :lol:

Dude, really, you can't just let it go, you needed the last word?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Dude, really, you can't just let it go, you needed the last word?

I don't think that's specifically trying to get the last word in. I was attempting to defend myself and J4L against the accusations that "we must be removed" as though everyone thinks we're terrible posters. I honestly don't believe that to be the case, so I wanted it said.

I didn't even mention the guy making the accusations, nor did I attempt to throw s*** back.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't think that's specifically trying to get the last word in. I was attempting to defend myself and J4L against the accusations that "we must be removed" as though everyone thinks we're terrible posters. I honestly don't believe that to be the case, so I wanted it said.

I didn't even mention the guy making the accusations, nor did I attempt to throw s*** back.

Please, just stop.

I'm almost begging you before I get really, really unhappy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
Take it easy, I'm sorry. That was seriously my intent with the post. I'm in no way trying to anger you.

Had to get in the last word with the apology.

Edited by bigruss22