2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (T R U @ May 23, 2011 -> 02:18 AM)
White Sox Stolen Bases: 20

White Sox Caught Stealing: 23

Opponents Stolen Bases: 41

Opponents Caught Stealing: 6

That deserves a hardy LOL

Also this is funny too

White Sox: .250/.315/.384/.699

Opponents: .254/.315/.384/.699

So pretty much for as bad as our offense has been, our pitching has been just as good.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I see Jackson as a guy that is probably giving Cooper fits at night. One day he is absolutely unhittable, the next he can't find the strike zone with google maps. I have no problem believing the Sox would deal him to get some pieces for this run, or even prospects to fill up the system.

ARGH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
I see Jackson as a guy that is probably giving Cooper fits at night. One day he is absolutely unhittable, the next he can't find the strike zone with google maps. I have no problem believing the Sox would deal him to get some pieces for this run, or even prospects to fill up the system.

Yeah, he ain't coming back either, so makes sense. I think he would make a great arm for the pen during the stretch run if not traded. Obviously this six-man deal is coming to an end soon (according to KW), so somehow has to be moved from the rotation, and it should be E-Jax despite having the best stuff on the staff in all likelihood (at least when he is on).

Do we dare offer him up to the Yankees? Maybe the Cubs? The latter is especially intriguing; they are in the race and need starters.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah, he ain't coming back either, so makes sense. I think he would make a great arm for the pen during the stretch run if not traded. Obviously this six-man deal is coming to an end soon (according to KW), so somehow has to be moved from the rotation, and it should be E-Jax despite having the best stuff on the staff in all likelihood (at least when he is on).

Do we dare offer him up to the Yankees? Maybe the Cubs? The latter is especially intriguing; they are in the race and need starters.

The Yankees are going to trade for at least one more starter. I can't see anyway around that. If Santos hadn't been as good as he has been in the pen, I would be interested in seeing him close. He could be lights out with the stuff he has, and not having to worry about throwing 100 pitches.

On the other hand, I am still a bit nervous about counting on Humber in a pennant race.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
The Yankees are going to trade for at least one more starter. I can't see anyway around that. If Santos hadn't been as good as he has been in the pen, I would be interested in seeing him close. He could be lights out with the stuff he has, and not having to worry about throwing 100 pitches.

On the other hand, I am still a bit nervous about counting on Humber in a pennant race.

Yeah, Humber very well could fall apart (and we have no options in the minor leagues), so likely Humber will be moved out of the rotation and become the swing man -- something I will be vehemently against when it happens since he has been our best starter all year. I honestly think that happens unless Jackson completely implodes.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Yeah, Humber very well could fall apart (and we have no options in the minor leagues), so likely Humber will be moved out of the rotation and become the swing man -- something I will be vehemently against when it happens since he has been our best starter all year. I honestly think that happens unless Jackson completely implodes.

I'm sure that it will go down that way, unfortunately.

You can't evaluate a trade until down the line unless the player acquired goes on to win a championship right when you get him.

So if Edwin Jackson went on to win a championship with the Sox last year, you could automatically call it a good trade, and whatever Hudson did in his career would still make the trade worth it. Or even if they win this year with Jackson in the rotation, fine, good trade.

However, without actually making the playoffs, the trade hasn't been worth it so far.

And as far as Hudson beating the Padres or Twins or whomever, who cares? They're major league teams, and he beat them. Mark Buehrle has made a career on beating bad teams. Nothing against Buehrle, but he's just doing what he's supposed to.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
You can't evaluate a trade until down the line unless the player acquired goes on to win a championship right when you get him.

So if Edwin Jackson went on to win a championship with the Sox last year, you could automatically call it a good trade, and whatever Hudson did in his career would still make the trade worth it. Or even if they win this year with Jackson in the rotation, fine, good trade.

However, without actually making the playoffs, the trade hasn't been worth it so far.

And as far as Hudson beating the Padres or Twins or whomever, who cares? They're major league teams, and he beat them. Mark Buehrle has made a career on beating bad teams. Nothing against Buehrle, but he's just doing what he's supposed to.

:ph34r:

Not this debate again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
@JesseCrain Top 2 worst flights I have had. Had to land in OKC to refuel and see if DFW will reopen. Long day, but at least we won!! about 14 hours ago

United Airlines. The official airline of your Chicago White Sox.

According to Gordon Beckham’s adjusted baseball math, the talented White Sox second baseman enters this three-game series in Texas carrying a .400 average. The official Major League Baseball statistics list Beckham as hitting .222 through 153 at-bats, so what change in scoring accounts for this huge differential?

Actually, it’s a change of feel at the plate turning Beckham into a .400 hitter.

“I told Walk (hitting coach Greg Walker) on Friday this is, in my opinion, the first game of the season because of the way I felt going into that game,” Beckham told MLB.com after Sunday’s 8-3 Interleague victory over the Dodgers. “I felt better. I felt like, ‘Let’s just start over here.’

“Since then, I’ve been hitting the ball well. Hopefully, that will continue. That main thing is I’ve been hitting balls hard and when you start doing that, you are going to get some balls to fall.”

Beckham has battled through his second high-profile slump in two seasons, after bursting on to the scene in 2009 and capturing two American League Rookie of the Year awards, which were both voted on by his peers. After hitting .199 as late as June 23 last year, Beckham rebounded to hit .310 the rest of the way and finish at .252. That number certainly would have been higher if not for a 6-for-32 Sept. finish after taking a Frank Herrmann pitch off of his right hand on Aug. 30.

In 2011, Beckham produced a trio of three-hit games and four multi-hit efforts over his first seven played. That hot start cooled considerably, with his average dipping as low as .194 at the end of April and rising to .230 or above just twice since April 20.

An off-day against Cleveland on May 19 helped him get away from a 4-for-30 slump over the past 10 games and go into this past weekend’s Dodgers series with that aforementioned new feel.

“It’s amazing what a feel will do for me. It’s just a totally different feel,” Beckham said. “It’s a relaxed feel, and when I’m relaxed, my hands work and I’m able to back up some balls and make good decisions. That’s what I’ve been doing my last three games.

“Unfortunately, I’ve been through this before. And I really feel like I’m out of it. I really feel like I’m out of that slump however long I had and my swing right now is good. It’s relaxed. It’s good. And I’m getting out of a slump a month and maybe a month and a half earlier than I did last year.

Merkblog.

John Danks has 6 quality starts which is the same amount as Jon Lester who has 6 wins, while part of this has to do with the performance of the pitchers (though Danks actually had a lower FIP coming into today) there's also the fact that Lester is getting over 5 runs of support more than Danks while in the game (3.39 r/s for Danks is the lowest in baseball, 8.48 for Lester is the 6th highest).

Both pitchers have 10 starts this season and Danks has actually thrown about 3 more innings than Lester so it's not the length of outings (they both have 4 outings with 7+ IP, Danks has 3 of 8+ and Lester only 1).

The Sox have scored 25 runs in John Danks' 10 starts this season and over a quarter of those runs came in one game.

Baseball's a funny, sadistic game.

John Danks has 6 quality starts which is the same amount as Jon Lester who has 6 wins, while part of this has to do with the performance of the pitchers...

??? - You lost me right here on your first sentence.

I would think it has EVERYTHING to do with performance of pitchers. If the defense messes up, the runs are unearned, so....like... yeah.... thanks.

Do you mean to say the Red Sox started off badly and came back? And we didn't? And we didn't support our best pitcher, in particular?

If so, say so.

We hit like s***. We have a dumb f***ing mgr. who squanders outs and real live baserunners like they're toilet paper and he's wiping his ass.

Not even sure what you're point is.

If I was John, I"d run like f***ing hell from this team. Can't really blame him if (when) he does.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
John Danks has 6 quality starts which is the same amount as Jon Lester who has 6 wins, while part of this has to do with the performance of the pitchers (though Danks actually had a lower FIP coming into today) there's also the fact that Lester is getting over 5 runs of support more than Danks while in the game (3.39 r/s for Danks is the lowest in baseball, 8.48 for Lester is the 6th highest).

Both pitchers have 10 starts this season and Danks has actually thrown about 3 more innings than Lester so it's not the length of outings (they both have 4 outings with 7+ IP, Danks has 3 of 8+ and Lester only 1).

The Sox have scored 25 runs in John Danks' 10 starts this season and over a quarter of those runs came in one game.

Baseball's a funny, sadistic game.

Great stuff as always, Kalapse.

That's cute, Gordon. Let's put together a solid week before we declare ourselves out of a slump, though. OK? Thanks.

I agree, I'd like Becks to hit a few more games with consistancy before we decalre him off life support.