2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
But certainly those players and creditors would have to be paid out of the proceeds of an auction before any money went to the McCourts, correct?

I believe that is the case, but even so that money will take months, or more likely years, for it to make it to the Sox.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
LOL, of course we would be involved in this and somehow get screwed. Kenny can't catch a break (many of his issues are brought upon by himself though).

So much for getting a return on your investment..

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Every day I come to this site hoping to see a thread that says a real change has been made to the composition of this team. So disappointing.

Unfortunately real changes need to be made to MLB. Who would have thought 30 years ago someone would say the Dodgers would be bankrupt?

They need to find an alternative to guaranteed contracts.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Unfortunately real changes need to be made to MLB. Who would have thought 30 years ago someone would say the Dodgers would be bankrupt?

MLB's financial situation is fine, really better than any other major sport, and the Dodgers problems have absolutely nothing to do with the existence of guaranteed contracts. If the Dodgers payroll was half of what it was, they'd still be in bankruptcy, the McCourts would just own more houses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
MLB's financial situation is fine, really better than any other major sport, and the Dodgers problems have absolutely nothing to do with the existence of guaranteed contracts. If the Dodgers payroll was half of what it was, they'd still be in bankruptcy, the McCourts would just own more houses.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)

Who would have thought the Dodgers would be broke 30 months ago? This is as impressive of a hatchet job as I have seen in a long time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)

MLB has just had 10% of the league go through bankruptcy. I don't know how that is fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Who would have thought the Dodgers would be broke 30 months ago? This is as impressive of a hatchet job as I have seen in a long time.

I get the impression that there were people watching that team's front office closely, even during the Mannywood era, who felt like things were wrong. The immediate talk of how much the Dodgers saved when he got suspended fits with that. The hatchet job on the franchise was already well underway, and the local L.A. media market always had this skepticism towards the McCourts, which turns out to have been justified.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
MLB has just had 10% of the league go through bankruptcy. I don't know how that is fine.

And one of those bankrupt teams wound up with a World Series appearance and a huge revenue infusion last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
And we still haven't counted the Mets yet, nor some of the small revenue teams.

And lumping in the Mets with "Teams having financial difficulties due to guaranteed contracts" is kinda silly. The Mets would have had no problem making payroll, they just built a fancy new ballpark, but they took the payrolls for a bunch of guys and invested them with this dude who gave them 10% returns every year. That way, they were making a fortune for themselves every time they could get a contract with some deferred money.

And Pittsburgh is over .500 this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
And lumping in the Mets with "Teams having financial difficulties due to guaranteed contracts" is kinda silly. The Mets would have had no problem making payroll, they just built a fancy new ballpark, but they took the payrolls for a bunch of guys and invested them with this dude who gave them 10% returns every year. That way, they were making a fortune for themselves every time they could get a contract with some deferred money.

And Pittsburgh is over .500 this year.

The Mets financial situation isn't fine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)

The Dodgers actually made money under McCourt and did pretty well. Problem is, he spent it like a drunk sailor. Borrowed 100 million against it. Just acted so irresponsibly. Now he admits he made mistakes, and has the gall to expect MLB to give him a 2nd chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
The Mets financial situation isn't fine.

Did I say that? I think I pretty much said the exact opposite. Allow me to repeat.

Their financial situation would be fine if they hadn't taken a whole lot of team money and invested it with a guy who was producing 10% growth on their investment every year.

The Mets financial system is a disaster...because they invested team funds with a Ponzi scheme.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Did I say that? I think I pretty much said the exact opposite. Allow me to repeat.

Their financial situation would be fine if they hadn't taken a whole lot of team money and invested it with a guy who was producing 10% growth on their investment every year.

The Mets financial system is a disaster...because they invested team funds with a Ponzi scheme.

Like I said, there are plenty of teams in MLB that are a financial mess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Like I said, there are plenty of teams in MLB that are a financial mess.

And the only one that you can legitimately argue is because of guaranteed contracts, or Hell, even that they're in trouble because of anything baseball-related is Texas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
And the only one that you can legitimately argue is because of guaranteed contracts, or Hell, even that they're in trouble because of anything baseball-related is Texas.

Well all except for the 10 or so teams that don't give out real contracts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Well all except for the 10 or so teams that don't give out real contracts.

Really? 10 teams don't give out contracts? I'll go tell Evan Longoria that he's not actually under contract. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to learn that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)

I didn't understand that either. MLB doesn't really dent the cash flow like the NFL, NBA. Plus attendance is down almost everywhere.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
I didn't understand that either. MLB doesn't really dent the cash flow like the NFL, NBA. Plus attendance is down almost everywhere.

Huh?

The NFL is a cash cow, granted, but MLB is a solid 2nd place in total revenues. It blows the NBA out of the water. The NBA doesn't publicly admit its revenues, but a simple estimate suggests it's somewhere near $3 billion, while MLB topped $7 billion last year.

And although attendance is down, advertising and cable revenues, especially local franchise revenues, are soaring.