2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
A lot of people were pissed when that was even brought up. They said no way to a Gonzalez for Beckman straight up trade.

But that was way back then when he was referred to as the "Bacon Slayer" around here.

And Terry Boers proclaimed him as a first ballot HOFer (So did Harold Reynolds)

What an overhyped player, jesus christ... it was ridiculous

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but i think it would start by sending him down to AAA and let him trying to figure things out and having success. His swing is awful and clearly adjustments have to be made and part of those is just being confident and I don't think that will happen at the major league level.

I hope I'm wrong.

I have little faith in our ability to fix hitters at any stop in our system. We promoted Brian Anderson with a monstrous swing. We promoted Danks who was striking out at 33% clip in AA.

I believe we take beckham and place him in another organization and he is a good hitter. He came up and hit for extended periods of time. His swing has gotten worse not better. And it's not like he is dismissing our hitting coach. They hunt together in the offseason. So it's not like he is Swisher.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
And Terry Boers proclaimed him as a first ballot HOFer (So did Harold Reynolds)

What an overhyped player, jesus christ... it was ridiculous

This is totally something I've pulled out of my ass (I know, yuck), but I kinda wonder what the Reds plan on doing with Brandon Phillips. I ask because he's got a club option next year and they might not want to bring him back for the years/money he'll likely command. I'd love to get our hands on one of their two catching studs, Mesoraco or Grandal. But Beckham's fallen so far in the last year and a half that they'd probably fall over laughing if such a deal were offered.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
I have little faith in our ability to fix hitters at any stop in our system. We promoted Brian Anderson with a monstrous swing. We promoted Danks who was striking out at 33% clip in AA.

I believe we take Danks and place him in another organization and he is a good hitter. He came up and hit for extended periods of time. His swing has gotten worse not better. And it's not like he is dismissing our hitting coach. They hunt together in the offseason. So it's not like he is Swisher.

I can't disagree with anything you said. That's why I want wholesale changes in management for this organization, all the way down to the scouting.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
This is totally something I've pulled out of my ass (I know, yuck), but I kinda wonder what the Reds plan on doing with Brandon Phillips. I ask because he's got a club option next year and they might not want to bring him back for the years/money he'll likely command. I'd love to get our hands on one of their two catching studs, Mesoraco or Grandal. But Beckham's fallen so far in the last year and a half that they'd probably fall over laughing if such a deal were offered.

We have a piece for Montero from the Yankees, his name is John Danks.

Danks for Montero + Gardner ? :)

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
We have a piece for Montero from the Yankees, his name is John Danks.

Danks for Montero + Gardner ? :)

:lolhitting

The Yankees wouldn't give up Montero for Greinke last offseason. Now they're going to give up Montero + Gardner for a guy on the DL with an oblique issue who had 2 really bad months to start the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
:lolhitting

The Yankees wouldn't give up Montero for Greinke last offseason. Now they're going to give up Montero + Gardner for a guy on the DL with an oblique issue who had 2 really bad months to start the season.

Their starting pitching situation is considerably worse than before and Montero is arguably not even their best catching prospect anymore. Danks also isnt a half year rental like Greinke was. It's not that ridiculous.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Their starting pitching situation is considerably worse than before and Montero is arguably not even their best catching prospect anymore. Danks also isnt a half year rental like Greinke was. It's not that ridiculous.

Greinke was only going to pitch April-June?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
I guess what I meant was it read like "All we need is this long list of unlikely things to occur for us to get back on top".

Which of those is unrealistic?

Call up Viciedo and see an instant offensive upgrade in LF without much of a defensive downgrade?

Find a stopgap solution at 2B and send Beckham to AAA?

Maybe Dunn and/or Rios gets their s*** together?

Continue to rotate Lillibridge?

Split time between Morel and Vizquel?

There really are quite a few things working with this team right now, but there are about 4 huge blackholes in the lineup that are the biggest factors to the offensive inconsistency. My thoughts are that 2 of those are solved with the above (and there have been some hints dropped by the organization that one of those will end at a certain date) and that other is certainly plausible. If Dunn and/or Rios do ever start hitting, then this team gets very dangerous.

I mean, I could make a long list of requirements for me to get up right now and walk to the bathroom, but odds are all of those can be accomplished. It's possible that something goes awry along the way and I trip and fall down the stairs.

(and yes, I believe I'm suggesting that the White Sox can't get up to go to the bathroom right now)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)

To be fair, no player that ever goes to New York or Boston is a 1 year rental unless said player completely blows. They have a bit of money.

Part of the problem with Greinke is that he has had psychological problems and there was a lot of fear that he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure in New York. I think we've all seen first hand that pressure has never really gotten the best of Danks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Ok, so Greinke is getting shut down after the AS break?

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to call him a "Half year rental".

So I take it you're trying to say they tried to trade for him in ST rather than at the deadline without just making it easier and just saying that. Either way, if that's all you are going to take away from what I said then you missed the point.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
So I take it you're trying to say they tried to trade for him in ST rather than at the deadline without just making it easier and just saying that. Either way, if that's all you are going to take away from what I said then you missed the point.

I've read this 3 times and I'm still not sure what you're getting at.

Balta said:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
The Yankees wouldn't give up Montero for Greinke last offseason.

Greinke was traded to the Brewers in the offseason. Plus he's still under contract next year.

Where are you getting this half-year rental from?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I've read this 3 times and I'm still not sure what you're getting at.

Balta said:

Greinke was traded to the Brewers in the offseason. Plus he's still under contract next year.

Where are you getting this half-year rental from?

So i clearly thought they tried to acquire him mid-season instead of during the off-season and had his contract status messed up. I also made two other points as to why that proposal was not ridiculous but apparently the mix-up was the only thing worth taking out of it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
So i clearly thought they tried to acquire him mid-season instead of during the off-season and had his contract status messed up. I also made two other points as to why that proposal was not ridiculous but apparently the mix-up was the only thing worth taking out of it.

What you got right doesn't matter, it is only what you got wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

Ok, let me ask you this on the other points. If Montero's available, it's only because his value has plummeted in Yankee eyes. Would you have confidence in him recovering that value after being traded to the Sox, or would you instead expect him to go Brandon Wood on us?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Lost in the controversy about Tuesday's game is what seems to be the silly decision to start Peavy tomorrow instead of letting him go on Friday. Let's hope he's still in one piece after tomorrow's game.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then going on Thursday?

That's normal rest from throwing on Saturday right? And although yeah he worked Saturday, he only dealt like 60ish pitches right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then going on Thursday?

That's normal rest from throwing on Saturday right? And although yeah he worked Saturday, he only dealt like 60ish pitches right?

Yes, but it's hard to say that 60 live game pitches is same as throwing in between games. I know the Sox put some thought into it, just seemed to be a good spot where he could have been pushed back to Friday and let Jackson go tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Yes, but it's hard to say that 60 live game pitches is same as throwing in between games. I know the Sox put some thought into it, just seemed to be a good spot where he could have been pushed back to Friday and let Jackson go tomorrow.

I don't think I said it was the same as throwing in-between games...I think I said that from last Saturday to tomorrow he's on normal rest...4 days. That means the short-rest outing was when he came out on Saturday...so from Saturday he's been able to do the usual 4 day rest routine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Ok, let me ask you this on the other points. If Montero's available, it's only because his value has plummeted in Yankee eyes. Would you have confidence in him recovering that value after being traded to the Sox, or would you instead expect him to go Brandon Wood on us?

That's not necessarily true. Obviously the Yankees would try and get maximum value out of Montero if they were to trade him. However, most publications now list Sanchez as their top prospect. Granted, he is only in Low-A so he has a ways to go, but Romine is also highly regarded and he is much closer. So let's say the Yankees are unable to field any better offers involving Montero and become somewhat desperate around the trade deadline to acquire a SP to bolster their rotation. For whatever the reason may be, we are offering Danks. I just don't think such a proposal is ridiculous. Danks would not be a half year rental as they'd have him next year as well and who knows what their rotation will look like in a month. Burnett is unreliable, Hughes is still working out whatever was wrong with him not in the majors, Colon who knows now and Freddy is a back end starter. That's all I was trying to get at, is that there is a very conceivable scenario where they would part with Montero and it not necessarily be beacuse his stock is plummeting.

Let me say it another way then...if his stock hasn't plummeted, then the Yankees would need to be willing to get much less value for him now than only a few months ago despite thinking that he's an excellent catcher candidate.

I don't see both of those being true.