2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
All this KW hindsight s*** is getting ridiculous.

Needed a big lefty bat coming off 05. He got it. Had a solid CF prospect in the system to replace Rowand, didn't pan out. It's not like he knowingly left CF to what it ended up being. And none of this even brings up how terrible and overpaid Rowand has been since.

This.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 07:13 AM)
The Twins could pass us in the standings when this series is over.

The Twins series is Huge for this point in the season.

And since we'll have four days to talk about it when it's over, for the sake of our collective sanity here, let's hope it goes well. :unsure:

At least I like the fact that Humber gets us started tomorrow. He's unsullied with the tip-yer-cap mentality we have with that hated bunch.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
I had a dream last night that the Sox finished the season with 103 wins. It was pretty vivid and, in the dream, they were this same exact team and went on an unbelievable run. So, maybe I have some supernatural powers? We'll see.

I had a dream last night where James Long, a Sox rookie, hit a home run in a game at Yankee Stadium. Peavy got roughed up, and Phil Humber got the loss in relief.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
My point exaclty, the next 5 games will say a lot about this White Sox team IMHO.

I still think the Twins will win this division because it's the only thing they know how to do. They will be all spent and torture their fans with a quick playoff exit. It's hard for me to ignore Sox history. If it wasn't for an umpire call this team would be 0-2 against KC.

I hate to be a dark cloud but this series has not showed me anything to be otherwise.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
I had a dream last night that the Sox finished the season with 103 wins. It was pretty vivid and, in the dream, they were this same exact team and went on an unbelievable run. So, maybe I have some supernatural powers? We'll see.

or people want to get in touch with your crack dealer

That would scare me if they got over 95 wins. Would they have anything left in the tank for the post season?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Here is a ripe steaming pile of s***e title for a article. Really, With the abortion of our offense one decent week and we are slowing the call.

Funny that his .250 batting average in July is "heating up".

I feel kinda bad for Pierre to be totally honest. I feel more confident with him at the plate than I do half our lineup (Morel, Dunn, Beckham, Rios). I agree our team would be better if he was replaced with Viciedo, but he's hardly been the only problem. So, yes...replacing Pierre with Viciedo will help. But it's not going to make Beckham hit like he can/should, it's not going to make Rios live up to his potential, it's not going to get Dunn back to his old self, and it's not going to make Morel live up to his marginal upside.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Pretty funny listening to Boers and Bernstein rip on Peavy today relating to his request for more intensity.

They were the same two guys last season saying Adam Dunn is a necessity for this team.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
They were the same two guys last season saying Adam Dunn is a necessity for this team.

Adam Dunn is a necessity for this team. Not the Adam Dunn we've seen, but the Adam Dunn that's been Adam Dunn prior to 2011. I can't really fault their failure to predict his legendary downfall.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
I feel kinda bad for Pierre to be totally honest. I feel more confident with him at the plate than I do half our lineup (Morel, Dunn, Beckham, Rios). I agree our team would be better if he was replaced with Viciedo, but he's hardly been the only problem. So, yes...replacing Pierre with Viciedo will help. But it's not going to make Beckham hit like he can/should, it's not going to make Rios live up to his potential, it's not going to get Dunn back to his old self, and it's not going to make Morel live up to his marginal upside.

What's really sad is fans believe the biggest hope is playing in the minors right now. Imagine what it will be like for him to get called up in a race and tries to over do everything and doesn't get the same results. Let's not forget he just starting to play the outfield and I guess he's using to playing in a smaller outfield.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
What's really sad is fans believe the biggest hope is playing in the minors right now. Imagine what it will be like for him to get called up in a race and tries to over do everything and doesn't get the same results. Let's not forget he just starting to play the outfield and I guess he's using to playing in a smaller outfield.

If I remember correctly, Viciedo played some outfield in Cuba so I don't think it's a totally new position to him. I also seem to recall him saying the move to RF has allowed him to relax a little bit more and focus on his offense. I think he'd be more than fine, provided #29 doesn't teach him an exaggerated leg kick or something ridiculous. But I do agree he's not going to single handedly turn the season around. Viciedo can replace 1 person, not 5 of them.

So the trash that beat us on tuesday was 0-6, and Bruce Chen before yesterday hadn't won in two months

Oh, and Ozzie saying 'The Central isn't there to be taken, these other teams will eventually start winning'

Please, dont throw your money at this s***, for the love of god

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)

not to mention the failure rate of players we acquire/call up that either used to be good before becoming a Sox, or were projected to be good until they've gotten a large enough sample of At-Bats for us as fans to give a loud "Oops!" to the Sox scouting/development department

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
or people want to get in touch with your crack dealer

That would scare me if they got over 95 wins. Would they have anything left in the tank for the post season?

Really, they'd scare you? They played 162 games and after (almost certainly) being below .500 after the first 90, and they ended up winning 95 games, the first thing you'd say to yourself is that "there is no way that this team can keep a similar pace for another 19 games (at most)"?

Jesus.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)

Nothing wrong with a guy that can hit 38 homers from you from the left side. He hasn't been the same guy. He looks a hell of a lot better right now than he did in May and June.

If someone said that Juan Pierre is a necessity for this team, or that Will Ohman is a necessity for this team, or that Ramon Castro is a necessity for this team, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

The guy who's tied for 3rd in the International League in home runs? Or 10th in batting average? Or tied for the league lead (with former Sox hand Stefan Gartrell, who has about the same discipline at the plate as I do) in extra base hits? All while being one of the youngest players in the league?

Dayan Viciedo has a monstrosity of a ceiling, so those who think he could be a key addition to the ballclub are not "sad". What's "sad" is that people don't understand how good this guy is.

Simply looking at the numbers, he reminds me a lot of Juan Gonzalez.

Oh, and if he's used to playing in a smaller outfield, that's fine, considering USCF is one of the smallest outfields in the majors, which is where's he'll spend almost half of his games. I'm sure he's played in bigger parks though...call it a hunch.

Fans have it wrong then. Their biggest hope is for their major leaguers to start hitting like they should be hitting. Viciedo would help, but he isn't saving this team. that needs to be done by rios, Beckham, and Dunn.

I went to the game yesterday ( wed. afternoon 7/6 ). This team looks dead and dull. Can't put my finger on it but little enthusiasm from most players. Looking at the Sox bench almost no one there. Where were they in the clubhouse eating and drinking and watching the game on tv? K.C.'s bench was full of uniforms and seemed involved in the game. Which team looked like a last place team?

What the hell happened to Rios? How did he get so bad so fast? He can't even play center very well any more. Personal issues? He is lethargic at best.

I got to be thinking about a breath of fresh air at manager. Bring in a new guy let him dispose of some dead weight and light a fire.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 03:31 AM)

Even though I am pretty certain this is Juan's last year witbn the Sox I do agree that it is sad he is always the scapegoat. The team had plenty of underacheivers, but we spend in inordinate amount of time slamming Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)

I have been saying this for a long time. Pierre has become the undeserving whipping boy. He's been more productive than at least a few guys on our roster, yet somehow, he gets most of the hate. I realize he isn't great and in an ideal scenario you don't have him in the lineup. But the Sox are playing .500 ball more because guys like Dunn, Rios and Beckham have been terrible and less because of Pierre's play.

I will also that while I like Morel, the struggles of Dunn, Rios & Beckham, have magnified the problem that is Morel. Ideally, Morel was gonna be a guy that would never have to be counted on this year. Just play good defense and learn to play. He's basically done that and has been improving. He still has major holes in his game but I think he'll have the ability to be a league average 3rd baseman (factoring in his defense). The problem is, when you already have 3 black-holes in the lineup (Dunn/Rios/Becks), than Morel ends up being a 4th black-hole. That is almost 50% of your lineup.

The Morel situation is pretty much exactly the same as the Anderson one, we thought we had enough talent and production around the guy to let him slide as a defense only, learn to hit MLB pitching player, but now he's being put in the #2 hole (and not really deserving that spot either). Hopefully we don't kill his career, though he does seem to have a better head on him than Anderson.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
The Morel situation is pretty much exactly the same as the Anderson one, we thought we had enough talent and production around the guy to let him slide as a defense only, learn to hit MLB pitching player, but now he's being put in the #2 hole (and not really deserving that spot either). Hopefully we don't kill his career, though he does seem to have a better head on him than Anderson.

I don't think it makes much sense to have, at times, your 3 worst hitters (Pierre, Morel and Dunn) at the top of the lineup, and I certainly don't like Pierre and Morel at the top of the order. Pierre is likely to continue batting on top of the order because Guillen likes the idea of a leadoff hitter, but Morel, who does play good defense, is becoming a bit of a luxery item at 3B given his .250 average and 1 HR. If I'm Guillen, I'm probably going to give Mark Teahan more time at 3B because this offense can't afford to have as many struggling hitters as it currently does.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
I don't think it makes much sense to have, at times, your 3 worst hitters (Pierre, Morel and Dunn) at the top of the lineup, and I certainly don't like Pierre and Morel at the top of the order. Pierre is likely to continue batting on top of the order because Guillen likes the idea of a leadoff hitter, but Morel, who does play good defense, is becoming a bit of a luxery item at 3B given his .250 average and 1 HR. If I'm Guillen, I'm probably going to give Mark Teahan more time at 3B because this offense can't afford to have as many struggling hitters as it currently does.

I think that Beckham & Rios are both worse than Morel and Pierre. Pierre is like our 5th best hitter right now. Morel might be the 6th best, followed by Beckham, Rios, and Dunn. I might have Morel ranked above others, but I'm basing his numbers more on what he's done the past month and a half or so. Which still isn't anything to write home about but has been good signs of development.