Thornton Signs Extension

flavum

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
I'd have to assume that at this price he is going to be the closer.

What it really does is keep him off of the closer's market in free agency. Regardless of how the Sox use him, he has proven he's valuable enough to get this type of paycheck.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I feel like he may have been able to get more in free agency. I think he likes it here and took a mutually beneficial deal at a small discount to stay. Glad to have him.

If he won the closers job and pitched like he has the last few years, he could have easily tripled the total dollars in that deal.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I feel like he may have been able to get more in free agency. I think he likes it here and took a mutually beneficial deal at a small discount to stay. Glad to have him.

As arguably the best left-handed relievers in baseball, he would have gotten $10 million a year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
If he won the closers job and pitched like he has the last few years, he could have easily tripled the total dollars in that deal.

I don't think he would have gotten $36 million. Anywhere from $24-30 million I could have seen, but $36 is too much.

I'm OK with this extension. This really is perfect value for him, because it's cheap enough that he can be dealt if struggles or anything else comes up, and it's cheap enough to not really affect anything else.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
I don't think he would have gotten $36 million. Anywhere from $24-30 million I could have seen, but $36 is too much.

I'm OK with this extension. This really is perfect value for him, because it's cheap enough that he can be dealt if struggles or anything else comes up, and it's cheap enough to not really affect anything else.

If Thorton put up his same recent years lines as a closer, he probably saves somewhere between 40 and 45 games, with only a couple of BS's. Combine that with his history, his long term health, and his left handedness, and I could have seen a team throwing 4/36 at him in desperation.

Personally I'd hate to see this FORCE us into thinking we need to take him out of the position where he's been the best for us (setup man). I still like Sale as the closer until he proves me wrong.

I realize MT has been one of the best setup men now for several years, and could probably be a good closer, but why fix it if it's not broke?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
If Thorton put up his same recent years lines as a closer, he probably saves somewhere between 40 and 45 games, with only a couple of BS's. Combine that with his history, his long term health, and his left handedness, and I could have seen a team throwing 4/36 at him in desperation.

How many 35 year old relievers get 4 year deals?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Personally I'd hate to see this FORCE us into thinking we need to take him out of the position where he's been the best for us (setup man). I still like Sale as the closer until he proves me wrong.

I realize MT has been one of the best setup men now for several years, and could probably be a good closer, but why fix it if it's not broke?

I don't think it forces him into the closer role. Six million bucks is a lot for a set-up guy, but it's not absurd.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
This is an incredible deal. I don't know how long Thornton has left on that arm, but when healthy, he's one of the best relievers in the game.

I'll do some homework later. But has there been a better non-closer in baseball the last three years? One guy that jumps off the top of head is Mike Adams.